MES 40 Gen 2.5 temp swings and uneven temps!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SS&G

Original poster
Jan 23, 2021
I have a MES 40 gen 2.5 model number MB20075118 that I purchased at Sams club a couple years ago but have not really used it much. Today I did some snack sticks. I was getting 20-30 degree temp swings. I had a probe of my Inkbird meat thermometer hanging down through the vent monitoring the temp inside the smoker. For instance if the controller was set on 155 I was getting swings from 160-195 on my inkbird probe. Are these swings normal?

Also I had probes in my snack sticks as well. The probe in the ends of my sticks on the right side (as you are facing it) was 20 degrees hotter then the probe in the middle. To get the middle of the sticks to 150 the ends were 170. I tried to rotate the racks but the ends still got too done.

Are these swings normal and has anyone came up with a baffle or something to keep the right side from getting hotter?

Thanks!

Temp swings in mes smokers are very common! Several people use an auber pid to control the smoker, which you can keep your temps within a couple degrees. If you look in Bearcarver Bearcarver step by steps he has many different smokers listed that he has tested and also I believe show how he has his set up to keep more even temps.

Ryan

I have a MES 40 gen 2.5 model number MB20075118 that I purchased at Sams club a couple years ago but have not really used it much. Today I did some snack sticks. I was getting 20-30 degree temp swings. I had a probe of my Inkbird meat thermometer hanging down through the vent monitoring the temp inside the smoker. For instance if the controller was set on 155 I was getting swings from 160-195 on my inkbird probe. Are these swings normal?

Also I had probes in my snack sticks as well. The probe in the ends of my sticks on the right side (as you are facing it) was 20 degrees hotter then the probe in the middle. To get the middle of the sticks to 150 the ends were 170. I tried to rotate the racks but the ends still got too done.

Are these swings normal and has anyone came up with a baffle or something to keep the right side from getting hotter?

Thanks!

Here's (below) some MES Info, including the one "Avoid Temp Swings in MES":

About Masterbuilt Electric Smokehouse (Digital)
Masterbuilt Smokers (Bear's Thoughts & Findings)
MES Generation Number Recognition Pictures & Pics (Digital Units)
Avoid Temp Swings in MES
Cleaning MES Window without chemicals
MES with Window---Heads Up
MES 40 Christmas Present---2010

Bear

Thanks Bear. Have you come up with a way to keep the right side from getting so hot? It seems in your review you had even temps in your gen 2.5.

Thanks Bear. Have you come up with a way to keep the right side from getting so hot? It seems in your review you had even temps in your gen 2.5.

The biggest help in the Gen #2.5 was when they made the change I was squawking about for years. They moved the top vent from the back right to the back left. With that, the heat & smoke has to cross over through the middle of the smoker to go from bottom right to top left.
With the top vent on the right in so many MES units, the heat goes up the right side, from the bottom right side heating element to the top right Vent. (No reason for it to leave the right side). That's why my Heat deflector I used in my Gen #1 worked so good---It kicked the heat over from the bottom right to the middle of the smoker.

Bear

Came across this post when searching for some other stuff but I was able to resolve my temp issues in my 340g (electric version) by installing an Auber PID and their circulation fan, did 10lb of snack sticks the other day and had a 2 degree difference max between the pid pit probe 3/4 the way up the back wall and another probe in the middle directly over the water pan. The entire batch finished at the same time and I didn't have to mess around rotating or dealing with fat outs in certain sections

Came across this post when searching for some other stuff but I was able to resolve my temp issues in my 340g (electric version) by installing an Auber PID and their circulation fan, did 10lb of snack sticks the other day and had a 2 degree difference max between the pid pit probe 3/4 the way up the back wall and another probe in the middle directly over the water pan. The entire batch finished at the same time and I didn't have to mess around rotating or dealing with fat outs in certain sections

Yup---Everybody who has a PID in their MES seems to love it!!
However most people get them when their Stock Controls go bad.
It's a shame they don't make an MES Model that comes with a PID built in.
I'm sure with the Improvement it would make, it could cover the Price increase for that Model.

Bear

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Yup---Everybody who has a PID in their MES seems to love it!!
However most people get them when their Stock Controls go bad.
It's a shame they don't make an MES Model that comes with a PID built in.
I'm sure with the Improvement it would make, it could cover the Price increase for that Model.

If my stock controller ever goes I'll be going the PID route.

I'm very surprised at this point MB doesn't offer a MES with PID controller.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky