MES 40 Dump Find

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

choochooman442

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Oct 16, 2015
Found this MES 40 in my local metal dump, as expected the control was dead. I had made a PID based control module for my 500 gallon counter flow smoker but had never used it. After cleaning off ten years worth of woodworking dust I mounted it on the MES 40. The MES wiring was easy to strip out and I was able to direct wire the heating element and thermal cut off only to the existing power in cord. The PID module I had made was in a weather tight project box although it is not weather tight as built. The PID was purchased on eBay for $25.00 and came with a Solid State Relay (SSR) that is controlled by the PID and turns the heating element on and off. I added a Banana Plug inlet recycled from an old receiver that the thermocouple plugs into to signal the PID with the temperature in the MES. The PID keeps the temp at a one degree differential. I love this unit, it is my first electric smoker and the convenience has me using it at least once a week.
Score!
IMG_7465 (2).JPG

Original wiring.
IMG_7475 2.JPG

Rewired to include only the heating element and thermal cut off switch. Only had to remove old control wires and just reconnect existing Molex connectors.
IMG_7480 2.JPG

In use with my DIY PID control.
IMG_7561.JPG

Very nice and a great find by you!! Been looking for a " broken " 40" master built , have a 30", but a little more room would be nice to have.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Found this MES 40 in my local metal dump, as expected the control was dead. I had made a PID based control module for my 500 gallon counter flow smoker but had never used it. After cleaning off ten years worth of woodworking dust I mounted it on the MES 40. The MES wiring was easy to strip out and I was able to direct wire the heating element and thermal cut off only to the existing power in cord. The PID module I had made was in a weather tight project box although it is not weather tight as built. The PID was purchased on eBay for $25.00 and came with a Solid State Relay (SSR) that is controlled by the PID and turns the heating element on and off. I added a Banana Plug inlet recycled from an old receiver that the thermocouple plugs into to signal the PID with the temperature in the MES. The PID keeps the temp at a one degree differential. I love this unit, it is my first electric smoker and the convenience has me using it at least once a week.
Score!
View attachment 646365

Original wiring.
View attachment 646366

Rewired to include only the heating element and thermal cut off switch. Only had to remove old control wires and just reconnect existing Molex connectors.
View attachment 646367

In use with my DIY PID control.
View attachment 646368
Hi there and welcome!

One of the best smokers in the world is a free MES40 that you rewire and put a PID on!!! Great find and great work!

Reactions: chopsaw
Another MES40 freebie!

Mine was found on craigslist as a curbside freebie. Congrats and yahoo!

Thanks. Just about to finish 5lbs of Italian Sausage and will be using it this afternoon.

Reactions: 912smoker
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky