MES 40 chip tray upgrade

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dairyman

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
Is the chip tray upgrade free for 40" owners? I know they were for the 30" owners and was wondering. I wouldn't mind having the bigger chip tray.

Yes, PM Daryl,  MBTechguy and give him the model number of your smoker...

Tell him you need Wood chip retro kit 2010 .

I saw on another thread that guys were modding there loader after getting the bigger tray so the chips would be spread out better.  Does anyone know if Masterbuilt has a replacement loader that accommodates the larger tray (even if I would have to purchase it).  Because I would probably screw up my loader while trying to mod it. 

I sent daryl a pm and he responded quickly and is sending one to me. I was looking at the chip loader and i think it would be easy to modify on your own.

I saw on another thread that guys were modding there loader after getting the bigger tray so the chips would be spread out better.  Does anyone know if Masterbuilt has a replacement loader that accommodates the larger tray (even if I would have to purchase it).  Because I would probably screw up my loader while trying to mod it. 
I will try and find out for you. I am willing to bet they no longer make the larger version of the wood chip loader.

If they don't make the full size chip loader, and if you don't feel like trying to modify it -- others have suggested that you can use the half sized loader and just push it in only half way one time and all the way a second time. 

Sounds like a plan to me:-}}

It's just a matter of grinding off the tig or spot welds.

Easy Fix!

TJ

Yeah, once I got home and looked at the loader, it looks pretty straight forward.  Only six spot welds, shouldn't be difficult at all.  Thanks guys.

New guy here, so please forgive me.  But what is the difference between the new and old?  Just bought a MES 40 from Sams last week.

Thanks

Phil

If they don't make the full size chip loader, and if you don't feel like trying to modify it -- others have suggested that you can use the half sized loader and just push it in only half way one time and all the way a second time. 

Sounds like a plan to me:-}}
Dale,

I guess you have to do some grinding, like Todd said.

I didn't look close at mine yet, but if you don't push it all the way in, you can't turn it.

Bear

Just picked up a MES40 (20070211) from Sam's to replace my 'borrowed' sidebox unit. Called Masterbuilt to see about the upgraded chip tray and the CSR said that it was not available for my unit. Anyone else know if that's the case or not?

I also ordered up the amaz-n-smoker after reading all the rave reviews on here so perhaps it I don't really need it anyways.

Just picked up a MES40 (20070211) from Sam's to replace my 'borrowed' sidebox unit. Called Masterbuilt to see about the upgraded chip tray and the CSR said that it was not available for my unit. Anyone else know if that's the case or not?

I also ordered up the amaz-n-smoker after reading all the rave reviews on here so perhaps it I don't really need it anyways.

If yours doesn't work properly, you should still be able to get the retro, but maybe that model is one of those that has been fixed before selling.

Did you try it yet?

Bear

Bear,

Didn't mean to imply it wasn't working.  It seem to be working so far (only used it twice so far)  I was just thinking that a larger tray would mean less refills.

Last edited:
MX45,I thought the same thing.Actually,larger tray equals more chips which equal heavy billowing smoke.The thing gets way too hot.I have a 40" w/retro kit and mod-ed the chip loader in order to load more chips evenly.I dont think it's worth it..Once you receive your AMZN,you wont bother with the tray..Goodluck.

I have had my MES for almost a year now. I got an amazen when I bought it.

Have never used the chip tray and the retro kit gathers dust in the closet.

Craig

MX45,I thought the same thing.Actually,larger tray equals more chips which equal heavy billowing smoke.The thing gets way too hot.I have a 40" w/retro kit and mod-ed the chip loader in order to load more chips evenly.I dont think it's worth it..Once you receive your AMZN,you wont bother with the tray..Goodluck.
Quote:
I have had my MES for almost a year now. I got an amazen when I bought it.

Have never used the chip tray and the retro kit gathers dust in the closet.

Craig
I remember when these two guys started on this forum.

They both learned real quick.

In fact they just said what I would have said about the AMNS.

Also:

I had to get the retro for mine, but it was because mine wouldn't start smoking until it went from 40˚ to 190˚, with the element on that whole time. Then it would only smoke for a few minutes. The retro solved that problem.

If I ever get a round to doctoring my chip dumper, it will be to get more chips to lay on the bottom of the drawer, instead of on top of each other, not to get the drawer to hold more chips.

Bear

I didn't really think of that way but def. makes sense. After everything I keep reading about the Amaz-n it seems to be the perfect solution. Suppose to show up tomorrow so I know what I'm doing this weekend.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky