MES 40 Bluetooth Smoker price alert.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Mine just arrived today. I ordered on the 29th for $379. Guess I should have waited a couple more days. Grrrrrrrr.

Can you return or price match? I just ordered from SAMs for $279 to get the stand with it.
Amazon no longer does price adjustments, they stopped about a year ago, and you have to be careful with returns. Amazon has started banning people from their site because of returns. It doesn't even take many returns from what I've seen on Reddit. I bought at $314 and thought about returning but I already return quite a bit and I figured it would probably raise a red flag if I returned it and then bought it again days later. I would have bought from Sam's except I'm not a member and don't know anyone who is, so the membership fee would have ruined the deal there.

Last edited:
Amazon no longer does price adjustments, they stopped about a year ago, and you have to be careful with returns. Amazon has started banning people from their site because of returns. It doesn't even take many returns from what I've seen on Reddit. I bought at $314 and thought about returning but I already return quite a bit and I figured it would probably raise a red flag if I returned it and then bought it again days later. I would have bought from Sam's except I'm not a member and don't know anyone who is, so the membership fee would have ruined the deal there.

I don't shop Amazon much, didn't know that.
$314 isn't bad. Could've done worse!!

I picked one up from Bass Pro Friday morning. It was their Black Friday Doorbuster and they were selling them for $199.00 for 6 hours while supplies lasted. Had to get up at 4:30 am and go stand in line to make sure I got one. 

Last edited:
My dad is retired and works part time at Bass Pro and he swooped me the MES 40" bluetooth for $199 as well on Black Friday...seems like a hell of a deal.  I've been running a small propane smoker so pretty excited to have a bigger smoker to fit the full prime costco packer brisket now!!!

My dad is retired and works part time at Bass Pro and he swooped me the MES 40" bluetooth for $199 as well on Black Friday...seems like a hell of a deal.  I've been running a small propane smoker so pretty excited to have a bigger smoker to fit the full prime costco packer brisket now!!!
Yes it is:

MES40 Generation #2 for $199---- Not a good deal.

MES 40 Generation #2.5 for $199----Awesome Deal !!!

Bear

Last edited:
so just confirmed with my parents it might be Generation #2 since this one is actually not a bluetooth, only remote and probes.

It was the black friday special and normally priced at $350 and we got it for $199 so I don't really see how it could be a bad deal but maybe not as good as I thought.  I'm with you Bear I don't really have a use for the bluetooth but I'm interested to see if the changes you suggested are incorporated in the one that I'm getting on christmas morning :) 

Ether way, it's better than the propane small smoker I had been working with.   

Bear - you recommend the AMNPS 5X8 so I can set up a costco prime brisket overnight and not worry about filling chips every 45 minutes right?  

so just confirmed with my parents it might be Generation #2 since this one is actually not a bluetooth, only remote and probes.

It was the black friday special and normally priced at $350 and we got it for $199 so I don't really see how it could be a bad deal but maybe not as good as I thought.  I'm with you Bear I don't really have a use for the bluetooth but I'm interested to see if the changes you suggested are incorporated in the one that I'm getting on christmas morning :) 

Ether way, it's better than the propane small smoker I had been working with.   

Bear - you recommend the AMNPS 5X8 so I can set up a costco prime brisket overnight and not worry about filling chips every 45 minutes right?  
I have a Gen #2 in my garage---POS---I took the racks out for extras for my Gen #2.5. I'm keeping it only for parts, if I need a new door or something.

I would do anything to avoid getting a Gen #2. The biggest problem is the slated Drip plate with the little water pan in it.

However if you get the Gen #2, let me know--I have something for you to try.

Yes---As long as you aren't at high altitude, you should be able to fill & properly light an AMNPS, and get up to 11 hours of perfect smoke.

Bear

Bear - my parents swooped it for me on a black friday deal so I'm kind of stuck with it.  Is there any chance it could be a generation 2.5 and not be the bluetooth model?   I'm probably a once or twice a month smoker and not any type of competition guy so I find it hard to believe that I won't be able to make this thing work but I appreciate your assistance.  

Bear - my parents swooped it for me on a black friday deal so I'm kind of stuck with it.  Is there any chance it could be a generation 2.5 and not be the bluetooth model?   I'm probably a once or twice a month smoker and not any type of competition guy so I find it hard to believe that I won't be able to make this thing work but I appreciate your assistance.  
OK, When you get it, you can season it, and try it out, but more than likely the right side will be a lot hotter than the left, due to the slanted drip plate above the heating element.

The right side of the drip plate is higher than the left side, so the heat stacks up under the plate, and rises to the right, because that end of the plate is higher. Then the heat seeps around the plate gradually, but mostly on the right side, because that's the highest point of the drip plate. So this is what causes the right side to be hotter than the left.

So if you aren't happy with that, see below.

The best way I can think of to correct this is to remove the slanted drip plate entirely, including the little water pan.

Then put your bottom grill rack in place. Then put an aluminum foil pan on the middle of the bottom rack to avoid direct heat from the heating element going to the meats.

Then if you get an AMNPS for smoke, you can put it on that same bottom rack, on the right end, just above the chip dumper, so you can adjust the dumper in and out to vary the air flow going to your AMNPS.

Here's more on the MES subject:

Masterbuilt Smokers (Bear's Thoughts & Findings)

MES Generation Number Recognition Pictures & Pics (Digital Units)

Bear

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky