MES 30 Temperature Displays not even close

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bamofnh

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 4, 2013
Chester, Nh
Have any of you ever verified your your Set Temperature with the Internal Thermometer and Meat Thermometer?

I was having issues with everything I was smoking taking much longer than I expected it to.  So I decided to compared them to my Maverick ET-733 Dual Thermometer.  What I found was not except able to me from MES.  I thought they would be much better than that.

First I boiled some water and held my Maverick Probes in the boiling water making sure they didn't touch the bottom for a good reading of the water temperature.  They measured 212 and 214 respectably. Now that I know my two Maverick Probes are right on, I can start my test.

I set the MES 30 to 225 and let it stay there till it stabled out.  Then I recorded on a chart the Set Temperature, The Internal Reading (the temperature that alternates with the Time on the display), then the Meat Probe, then The Maverick Probes 1 and 2.  I then raised the Set Temperature up 5 degrees to 230 and repeated above.  I made a chart from 225 through 260 and it came out like this.
Set Temperature
Internal Reading
Meat Probe
Maverick Probe  1
Maverick Probe 2
225​
226​
254​
214​
217​
230​
234​
258​
219​
221​
235​
238​
264​
226​
228​
240​
243​
267​
230​
232​
245​
244​
271​
235​
237​
250​
251​
272​
239​
241​
255​
253​
280​
246​
248​
260​
257​
289​
252​
253​
Now with this said, have any of you ever taken the Control Panel apart and try to adjust the settings?  Mine is no longer under the warranty and I have some electronics background, so I just might bring it in the house and take a peak at it.  Just asking if anyone has already done this with or without success and has any input for me.  I'm still not Happy that MES doesn't have Temperature Control/Accuracy more accurate then what my test results show.

Everything I have seen written has said to ignore the MES temp for the most part and rely on the Maverick.

I hear ya.  But I thought when I first got it it was a bit more accurate than it seems to be now.  I still think I'm going to open it up and see if there are any potentiometers on the control board that I can figure out when I find a little time.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky