MES 30 Retro Kit installed (Bad Smoke)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

deputydawg

Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
I have the MES 30 and installed the retro kit.  Here is my problem.  I get way to much smoke and it is the dirty white smoke.  I was smoking some ribs the other day and i always use apple wood chips.  I never soak anything.  I always pre-heat my smoker and when I get to about 200 degrees i usually dump my chips in and bring the temp up to 240.  I did that and wow...the chips burned up to nothing in a matter of minutes.  It was dirty white smoke.  I have done the exact same methode since ive owned this unit for the last 6 months.  Same bag of apple wood chips.

My question to the experts:

Would using a chunk of wood help this?  With the retro kit the chips seem to go up in flames and are burned up within minutes.

Is anyone else experiencing this after they installed the new retro kit?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks to all of you regular posters on here...you all know who you are and you definitely are a huge help to us rookies!

Heavy chunks may help chips wrapped in foil may help.

or a smoker box mod and/or limit the amount of air to the wood.

I do not have a MES so I m just guessing.

I got the same issue..but I have the 40" with the retro kit...I usually just use my AMZN and not bother with the tray, but for those occasions when I'm too lazy to reload the AMZN or just need an extra hour or less of smoking,I just use less wood chips(1/4 cup),more often(every 15 minutes), to avoid that heavy billowing smoke...

I have the exact same unit and after I installed the new retro kit, I have the exact same situation.  I have called Masterbuilt and they have no idea.  I posted the same problems on here a couple of months ago and got the same replies...try the amazn smoker....shouldnt have to use one on a new unit.  They should be able to operate as they were intended.  Otherwise they would come with the amazn smoker.  I hope someone will figure out why they are acting up after the retro kit.

Originally Posted by deputydawg  

I have the exact same unit and after I installed the new retro kit, I have the exact same situation.  I have called Masterbuilt and they have no idea.  I posted the same problems on here a couple of months ago and got the same replies...try the amazn smoker....shouldnt have to use one on a new unit.  They should be able to operate as they were intended.  Otherwise they would come with the amazn smoker.  I hope someone will figure out why they are acting up after the retro kit.
deputydawg, Good morning. I have found adding 1/2 cup of chips at the start of the smoke works for me. I usually set the temp at 120 and adjust upward in increments of 20 deg. to allow the burner to turn on/off. It usually takes 3 each-- 1/2 cup loads to get enough smoke during the incremental temp increases.  While smoking meats, I keep the top damper wide open. That allows moisture to escape and seems to "ward off" the sour smoke taste.

Also, Check your chip tray. I have heard there may be some situations where the chip tray sits on the element. I mean touching the element. My chip tray sits on the angled flanges that are bent inward to hold the element. This allows the tray to sit approx 1/16" or less above the element.

If you want pics to explain the tray/element proximity I would be glad to accommodate you.

If I recall correctly, BearCarver wrote an explanation of his process. He is the guy that knows hot to operate a MES 30 so it runs like a Swiss watch

Try 2-3 larger chunks in the pan.

I never could get consistent smoke, that's why I invented my little gadget!!!
icon_biggrin.gif

If every MES came with an AMNS, I would be a wealthy man!!

Memo to Masterbuilt:

Please call Todd and buy 100,000 A-MAZE-N-SMOKERS and included one in every Masterbuilt Smoker sold.

icon_mrgreen.gif

deputydawg, Good morning. I have found adding 1/2 cup of chips at the start of the smoke works for me. I usually set the temp at 120 and adjust upward in increments of 20 deg. to allow the burner to turn on/off. It usually takes 3 each-- 1/2 cup loads to get enough smoke during the incremental temp increases.  While smoking meats, I keep the top damper wide open. That allows moisture to escape and seems to "ward off" the sour smoke taste.

Also, Check your chip tray. I have heard there may be some situations where the chip tray sits on the element. I mean touching the element. My chip tray sits on the angled flanges that are bent inward to hold the element. This allows the tray to sit approx 1/16" or less above the element.

If you want pics to explain the tray/element proximity I would be glad to accommodate you.

If I recall correctly, BearCarver wrote an explanation of his process. He is the guy that knows hot to operate a MES 30 so it runs like a Swiss watch
I wouldn't say a Swiss watch, and there are guys on here that can probably operate their MES as good, if not better than I can (they use their's more often).

However the part I changed to red (above) would be my best guess as to what the problem is.

Other than you need an AMNS.  
biggrin.gif

Bear

Originally Posted by TJohnson  

Try 2-3 larger chunks in the pan.

I never could get consistent smoke, that's why I invented my little gadget!!!
icon_biggrin.gif

If every MES came with an AMNS, I would be a wealthy man!!

Memo to Masterbuilt:

Please call Todd and buy 100,000 A-MAZE-N-SMOKERS and included one in every Masterbuilt Smoker sold.

icon_mrgreen.gif
If that hapened, you would have to supply 100,000 stores with A-Mazn-Dust too!!!  Where do we sign up to be district reps?

I bought the amazen and the MES 30 at the same time.

Did a lot of reading before the purchase.

Got just a tad over 200 bucks in the rig.

Got the retro kit in a closet..had it for about 6 months.

When I get moved next month I am going to buy a WSM.

I have read lots about it and will get a guru at the same time.

OK OK here's my point.

It's well known that the amazen works a whole lot better than the chip tray.

I enjoy my new hobby of cooking with smoke and sausage making.

This place is rocking with info and help..I love it!!

Have a great day!!

Craig

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky