MES 30 element replacement to solve GFCI tripping

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jted

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Hi, I like many had the tripping problem. I used most of the short term remedies to use my smoker, including heating the element with everything from my propane torch to 800 watt hair dryers. Starting it on a non gfci receptacle for 20 minutes then switching to a gfci. This one caused the most grief since I had to stretch the extension cord through the house. This precisted for a couple of years then I moved and still had the same problem.
I am hard headed and after checking the resistance on the element for the third or fourth time I finally decided to change out the element. After finding prices on the internet of near or over 40.00 I called Masterbuilt and they delivered one for less than 25 dollars and 10 of that was shipping.
The replacement was very easy. After removing the chip loader and chip pan I used a stubby screwdriver to remove the 2 screws that are on the side next to to where the AMNPS sits.
I was expecting the screws that are in the back and the chiploader housing to be seized up but happily they weren't. All were easy to get to.
After turning the smoker around and opening the access hatch I removed the ground and used a pair of short nosed needle nose pliers to remove the female spade terminals and after checking the connectors (they looked good, they had been replaced several years ago when I rewired it for a Auber PID)I removed the two screws that held in the element. I rotated the smoker once again and removed the element by lifting it slightly and it came right out.
Reassembly was as easy. The directions say you need two people to reassemble. I did not, it was the only time I was happy it was only 15 inches deep.
I could reach in and hold the element in place and start the two retaining screws from the back. After that the pressure was off and it was just reassemble like I took It apart.
The element came with decent instructions and a new silicone gasket and there new female connectors if needed that had a nice silicone jacket on. Now the test Beef boneless ribs (chuck strips) Low and slow wraped at a IT of 160 pulled out at IT of 202 and paint with Tuffy's Stones original sauce (left over from a trip to Richmond to have a early dinner with my Daughter) On a side note
the food and service at Q was just great. Order at the counter and the cashier brings the plates out. The prices weren't really any higher than other BBQ joints.

Attachments

• DSCN4029 (2).JPG
    DSCN4029 (2).JPG
    179.8 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Nice job, glad you finally got it fixed.

Chris

Jted, what model did you tell them you had, and how many watts for the element. I have a first gen MES 40 from the days when there was no easy way to get to the element, you had to take the whole back off. I have the tripping the GFCI problem, and wanted to get a new element, but if I give them the model number, I am guessing they will say they don't sell just the element. Barry.

Jted, what model did you tell them you had, and how many watts for the element. I have a first gen MES 40 from the days when there was no easy way to get to the element, you had to take the whole back off. I have the tripping the GFCI problem, and wanted to get a new element, but if I give them the model number, I am guessing they will say they don't sell just the element. Barry.

Berry.
My smoker is the 30 inch 800 watt 20070910. It is the old first generation digital 30. Give MB a call it is only a phone call. They will ask the model number off the back panel tag. If you need to remove the back to replace the element it is not a big deal but you will need a drill and 1/8 inch bits and a bag of 1/2 x#8 truss head screws. Truss head screws have a little larger head than a traditional sheet metal screw. You can get them at Amazon. Jted

Thanks, I have my model number, but I have the first generation, which does not have the panel on the back to access the element, so if I call them, they will tell me there is no replacement element. I did some research, and found that if I tell them model number 20070910, I should end up with the same element, which is the 800 watt element. Since I have the 40 inch version, which originally came with an 800 watt element, but now comes with a 1200 watt element, I may end up telling them I have a mode 20070311 - I have already removed the back when I upgraded the wiring, and it is controlled by a Mypin controller with a 25 amp SSR, so the 1200 watt element should work fine. Thanks for your help.

Steve sorry I missed your question. It was several GFCI's, in 2 houses,4 to be exact 3 at my old house and 1 in this house. Jted

I've had problems like these with customers with varied appliances. Common issues I've seen were improperly installed GFICs. Older ones that had repeated trips on them. Some wired with common neutrals. Plugs that had loose connection in the outlet. I've seen hot/nuetral backwards at the controller causing the trip. Another good one is the hot/neutral wired wrong at the main panel. But, it looks like the element was the problem. Glad you resolved the problem.

hi all, before forking out $$$ for a new heating element try this fix. it worked for me. link below shows how Burning off any residue on the heating element with a torch may prevent tripping of the gfci.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky