MES 30 129$

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

raulduke

Original poster
Nov 8, 2012
I am jumping into the electric smoker game.  I have been researching for a few weeks, and I had my heart set on the 40 MES from Sams for 299, but in picking through Black Friday adds, I noted that Gander Mountain has the MES 30 for 129 as a black friday special.  I am a little concerned about the smaller size, but maybe I will use it more often, I don't know.  Does anyone have any thoughts on this model for the price?  I am a little turned off of the brand new 2012 models because of people mentioning there is no where to put the AMAZNPS, which I already own.  I am sure this will be an older model, I want to use it in MN in the winter if possible, and I don't know if the element will be up to it.

I could not download the ad scan, but here is a link to the Gander Mountain ad:

http://blackfriday.com/stores/gander-mountain/flyers/black-friday

If you go to page 14 you should see the one I mean.

Thanks!

Raul Duke, buy BOTH!  You really want an MES 40, the extra capacity just plain makes it easier, (you won't have to cut your ribs you can just lay them right on the MES 40 rack.  Why buy the MES 30, that is a fantastic deal, buy it, and then either give it to someone as a gift, or sell on craigslist, apply the $50 you make toward the MES 40.  (see if the warranty is transferable to new owner).

Actually at that price you can't go wrong with the MES 30, however you will quickly discover that the 40 is the way to go.  There are many MES 30 owners who have posted here at SMF that they up sized to the 40, I haven't heard any 40 owner's post that they downsized.

Reactions: double dog

I am a little turned off of the brand new 2012 models because of people mentioning there is no where to put the AMAZNPS, which I already own.     I had not heard that.... Really??  What a shame.....  

I am sure this will be an older model,          The AMNPS will fit in older models....

If the AMNPS does not fit..... I wouldn't buy it.....   It is too critical to making good Q.....

Thanks!

Last edited:
Great advice, thanks!  I really want that 40, I am sold totally.  However, then I think that 130$ is quite a bit less than 300 :(.  300 I have to try to justify to my wife when we need to buy Christmas presents, 130 I can go out for black friday and be like look what I found, a great deal!  

Less than half as much, but still the thought of cutting my ribs really does bother me.  I don't know why though, I doubt they taste differently.

Yeah, don't take my word as gospel, When I read the thread about the new 2012 MES models, there were a couple of comments in there that made it sound like they did not know where to put the AMNPS in the new model.  No one really elaborated or confirmed that though, and I have never even seen one to compare.  Since to my knowledge the only way to get a newer 2012 model is to pay a lot more, I just crossed them off my list perhaps prematurely.

I would try and determine the model number.  I'd have to think that this company would design it for the AMZNPS in mind for exactly the reason why you are asking the question.  If they were smart they would put it in the specs or the marketing material.

Wonder if the ampt would work in  the 2012 I will look into it. I have both the tube and maze and would never give them back as Dave said it is essential to good q.

I have a mes 40" 512 and I put my amnps on the bottom left corner. I do have it on two rails about 1 inch off the bottom. I sure  would like to see someone else idea. It is sometimes hard to keep going. I think the 1 inch rails on the bottom will help for more air movement. I haven't tried the rails yet. Cold smoking cheese tomorrow.

I have a mes 40" 512 and I put my amnps on the bottom left corner. I do have it on two rails about 1 inch off the bottom. I sure  would like to see someone else idea. It is sometimes hard to keep going. I think the 1 inch rails on the bottom will help for more air movement. I haven't tried the rails yet. Cold smoking cheese tomorrow.
I put mine there as well.  Pull the chip feeder out about 1 1/2" and leave the vent wide open.  I added a 3" PVC elbow on top of the vent to help with the draw.  Works like a charm.

I placed a 3ft section of pipe out the top vent of my mes 30 when I was making jerky to try and help improve the draw, it did work but the 3ft of pipe worked against me as condensation formed on the inside of the pipe and dripped down onto my jerky
wtf1.gif

Funny, I have a 2012 MES 40 and have no problem using my AMNPS.
I wouldn't say it is funny, since all that I said is that there are some comments in the other thread about not knowing where to put it, but no one followed up.  If you have a 2012 model and have met with success, then great I would love to hear about it.  Does it have the two rails on the lower left?  Does the new exhaust port (I heard it was on the side) cause any problems with ventilation that you have noticed?

RaulDuke! The 512 on the end of the model# means it was made in 2012. I have a side vent also. The rails I use are just two pieces of steel that I lay on the bottom in order to get more air flow. They are 1 inch high, plus the legs on the amnps. I am still trying to tweek it for a full burn or half burn. Also as Al Truistic said pull the chip loader out 1 1/2 inches. As for the elbow, I tried PVC and it was to loose. Going to look at dryer vent pipe next.  Good luck.

I wouldn't say it is funny, since all that I said is that there are some comments in the other thread about not knowing where to put it, but no one followed up.  If you have a 2012 model and have met with success, then great I would love to hear about it.  Does it have the two rails on the lower left?  Does the new exhaust port (I heard it was on the side) cause any problems with ventilation that you have noticed?
RaulDuke,

Maybe I could have worded it differently and I certainly did not mean to offend. If I did, by all means I apologize.

I do not have any rails in the bottom of mine. I place it on the floor drip pan to the left under the water pan as grasshopper & Al Truistic do and Todd recommended to me. When I first got the AMNPS, I did have an issue with it staying lit. After playing with how far I pull out the chip loader chute (about 2") and the chip tray (about 1") it dialed in. I also load the ends a little more full with pellets for the turn. You are correct that the exhaust vent is located on the side (left). I believe this is an improvement over previous models that have it on top of the unit on the right, which is the same side as the element and creates a hot spot (from what I read). Although the cross ventilation is good I think they could have made the vent opening bigger and I'm currently looking into how I can do this. Here are a couple pics that I hope will help.

Steve

RaulDuke,

Maybe I could have worded it differently and I certainly did not mean to offend. If I did, by all means I apologize.

I do not have any rails in the bottom of mine. I place it on the floor drip pan to the left under the water pan as grasshopper & Al Truistic do and Todd recommended to me. When I first got the AMNPS, I did have an issue with it staying lit. After playing with how far I pull out the chip loader chute (about 2") and the chip tray (about 1") it dialed in. I also load the ends a little more full with pellets for the turn. You are correct that the exhaust vent is located on the side (left). I believe this is an improvement over previous models that have it on top of the unit on the right, which is the same side as the element and creates a hot spot (from what I read). Although the cross ventilation is good I think they could have made the vent opening bigger and I'm currently looking into how I can do this. Here are a couple pics that I hope will help.

Steve

No offense taken at all, sorry my reply was poorly worded, I was at work and just fired off a response.  Thank you very much for these pictures, I might just be bad at searching but this is the first time I have been able to see inside a 2012 model so that is awesome.  It looks like you have the placement figured out which is good to see.  I do really like the vent on the side, that seems like a good advancement.

Thanks again

No offense taken at all, sorry my reply was poorly worded, I was at work and just fired off a response.  Thank you very much for these pictures, I might just be bad at searching but this is the first time I have been able to see inside a 2012 model so that is awesome.  It looks like you have the placement figured out which is good to see.  I do really like the vent on the side, that seems like a good advancement.

Thanks again
Not a problem whatsoever. If you need pictures of anything feel free to PM me. Here's something I found and posted earlier you might be interested in. http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/130449/2012-mes-40-now-at-sams#

I cold smoked cheese today. It did go pretty well, the amnps did go out twice so my rail idea might not be the clear ticket yet. The outside temp was 45 deg and inside the smoker stayed around 75 deg. The wind was coming  from the side the draft is on, so the smoke came out the chip loader. could not turn the smoker around. Next thing to try is the elbow. Cheese looks great as I went by color not time. This is my first time cold smoking cheese. Comments are surly welcome Mike

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky