MES 230g any good, setup suggestions.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Texmex03

Original poster
Sep 11, 2018
Been looking forever and finally jumped due to price. Did online purchase at Lowe’s for the MES230g from Lowe’s for $105ish our the door.

I looked at some threads identifying the different generations and beat setups for pellet maze and heat shielding but didn’t see much on the 30 model.

Any comments? Is this one worth picking up for the price? Link to help identify below.

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/account-confirmation/210735/email?c=y6be4dUru2xAKJAI

Well the link don't work, probably because of the newbie status. A few post under your belt will cure that.
Great deal ! I just looked it up and my lowes shows it at over twice that price.
It looks to be a MES 30 Gen 2.5 Bluetooth with window. Most everything you read about set ups on 40's applies here except there is no room to place a AMNPS on the bottom left near the element. If you decide to use an AMNPS(highly recommended), it really likes to be on the right side of the bottom shelf with the chip loader pulled out about an inch. Exhaust vent wide open. Or in a mailbox mod if you decide to go that route.

Appreciate the quick response. Saw it on slickdeals. There were a lot of stores with it marked down to 119. Then I added the 20 off 100 coupon.

I was planning on doing the amnps didn’t realize it had to go on bottom rack. Hope it won’t limit me too much.

For the price it was hard to pass up.

Last edited:
I just bought the mes30g from Lowe’s via the slickdeals front page post too! New to smoking and stumbled onto this forum today, lol. Plan to smoke some ribs and chicken this weekend. I ordered the pellet maze and a couple of bags of oak and mesquite from amazn via amazon. Hope it goes well for both of us

I am doing the same right now. I was looking at the pellet maze, perfect mix pellets but its 40lb which seems like alot and possibly tp20.

I wonder if I can wing something with a traditional meat thermometer or if wireless deal is necessary....can't imagine the glass will stay clean for me to see through and opening would just add time to the cook.

I am doing the same right now. I was looking at the pellet maze, perfect mix pellets but its 40lb which seems like alot and possibly tp20.

I wonder if I can wing something with a traditional meat thermometer or if wireless deal is necessary....can't imagine the glass will stay clean for me to see through and opening would just add time to the cook.
A-maze-n Products has 20% off coupon code and free shipping with a $49.00 order. You won't have a problem hitting that with the Amnps and some pellets. I just got 44lbs. 20lb. Pitmasters Choice, 20lb. Apple, 2lb. Mesquite and 2lb. Corn Cob @ $55.00. It's about $12.00 more than one 40lb. bag of Cookin Pellets but I got four kinds of pellets which justifies the price difference. I'll put some Apple in with PitMasters Choice = Perfect mix. I'd shop the A-maze-n Products site. I started with smaller bags then got 20lbers of the tried and true I like. Try some sawdust in the Amnps. I'm doing a full tray of Pecan dust at 150*F tomorrow for 9 hours of smoke totalling 16+ hours to dehydrate a rack of halved Chocolate Habaneros on A-maze-n Qmatz for Chipotle Choc Hab chili's. Their Qmatz are great for meatloaves etc. and small food that falls through the rack
20180829_124142.jpg

Last edited:
Ordered pellets and amnps forms todd’s website. TP20 from Amazon with a coupon code from these forums delivered today. Plan to assemble and season tonight.

Reactions: normanaj
Making 1st attempt now with small brisket. The AMNPS wont be here till Monday and I am impatient so trying 4lb brisket with some chips at 225. Problem is I am not getting hardly any smoke....with seasoning at 275 I had tons of smoke. Should i just push and cook at 240 or 250 to try and get some smoke?

Can't wait for AMNPS

edit: Adjusted and started getting smoke at 240 so I will try to hover around that for now

Last edited:
I bought this too.
It has wheels!
Instructions/pre-season was easy.
Bluetooth doesn't work, as many reviews stated.

Smoked sockeye salmon on first smoke.
Not as salty/tasty in the meat as I had hope.
I was lazy to brine first, as I read up on.
I just wanted to start smoking.

Next up, I smoked Costco's pre-seasoned ribs today.
I'm never buying pre-seasoned meat again.
It look good in the store, but the meat is not tasty at all.
The meat or animal must have been old.

So I just saw AMNPS on threads.
That and a wireless thermometer will be my next purchases.
Hoping to get good at smoking and make great tasting foods!

Last edited:
I bought this too.
It has wheels!
Instructions/pre-season was easy.
Bluetooth doesn't work, as many reviews stated.

Smoked sockeye salmon on first smoke.
Not as salty/tasty in the meat as I had hope.
I was lazy to brine first, as I read up on.
I just wanted to start smoking.

Next up, I smoked Costco's pre-seasoned ribs today.
I'm never buying pre-seasoned meat again.
It look good in the store, but the meat is not tasty at all.
The meat or animal must have been old.

So I just saw AMNPS on threads.
That and a wireless thermometer will be my next purchases.
Hoping to get good at smoking and make great tasting foods!
How far away were you when trying the Bluetooth? My friend got one the other day and his worked up to about 75' with his Apple phone. I am getting one today. GREAT PRICE! $119.50 AT lOWES.

I also just bought one of these, one of my sorta-local Lowes had two in stock at $120. Looked it up on Amazon and saw they usually go for around $300! I've been doing a lot of smoking on a gas grill (which works really well, but was crazy inefficient) but I am really new to this whole separate smoker thing. I figured with as much smoking as I do on the regular that this was a deal too hard to pass up. I tried it out for the first time yesterday with some pork tenderloins and applewood chips, but the loins came out on the bitter side and looked brown instead of more red that I was typically used to from smoking in the gas grill. I read that has something to do with the difference between actual flame and electric heat, but I'm still learning.

I then did about 12 chicken breasts with applewood (another thing I'm used to smoking on my grill) and these came out awesome, but I added chips the entire time they took to get up to temp and the smoke flavor was ridiculously intense. I think I'm used to using chips the whole time the meat is cooking on my grill because it was so inefficient, so I'll need to experiment to figure out where the sweet spot is with the electric.

My only major gripe about the unit is that the app doesn't work half the time. It starts up ok, and you can set the time and temp plus alarms on your phone (which is really neat), but after a while the app craps out and doesn't allow you to adjust anything anymore until you reset the smoker, which is kind of a pain if it's in the middle of a cook cycle. This renders the built-in thermometer useless, so I ended up using my regular remote thermometers, so no big deal I guess. (Using an android phone, btw. No idea how well it works on iOS.)

Anyway, cheers and good luck with yours!

Reactions: Bearcarver
I also just bought one of these, one of my sorta-local Lowes had two in stock at $120. Looked it up on Amazon and saw they usually go for around $300! I've been doing a lot of smoking on a gas grill (which works really well, but was crazy inefficient) but I am really new to this whole separate smoker thing. I figured with as much smoking as I do on the regular that this was a deal too hard to pass up. I tried it out for the first time yesterday with some pork tenderloins and applewood chips, but the loins came out on the bitter side and looked brown instead of more red that I was typically used to from smoking in the gas grill. I read that has something to do with the difference between actual flame and electric heat, but I'm still learning.

I then did about 12 chicken breasts with applewood (another thing I'm used to smoking on my grill) and these came out awesome, but I added chips the entire time they took to get up to temp and the smoke flavor was ridiculously intense. I think I'm used to using chips the whole time the meat is cooking on my grill because it was so inefficient, so I'll need to experiment to figure out where the sweet spot is with the electric.

My only major gripe about the unit is that the app doesn't work half the time. It starts up ok, and you can set the time and temp plus alarms on your phone (which is really neat), but after a while the app craps out and doesn't allow you to adjust anything anymore until you reset the smoker, which is kind of a pain if it's in the middle of a cook cycle. This renders the built-in thermometer useless, so I ended up using my regular remote thermometers, so no big deal I guess. (Using an android phone, btw. No idea how well it works on iOS.)

Anyway, cheers and good luck with yours!
I would guess you didn't properly season it the first time around. You wanna run that sucker at 275f every time you clean it for 2-3 hours as well, burns out off flavours of chemicals yet etc.

As for the built in Thermometer? Notoriously unreliable to begin with. I use my remote control probe to set temperature, that is it. That built in display can be hard to see due to the sun. I just set the timer for 24 hours.

I would guess you didn't properly season it the first time around. You wanna run that sucker at 275f every time you clean it for 2-3 hours as well, burns out off flavours of chemicals yet etc.

As for the built in Thermometer? Notoriously unreliable to begin with. I use my remote control probe to set temperature, that is it. That built in display can be hard to see due to the sun. I just set the timer for 24 hours.

I seasoned it as per the instructions, and hand-washed everything I could. But I see your point, after all it was the very first time in use and additional seasoning time probably wouldn't have hurt. Hopefully I'll get better with repeated usage. I plan on putting this thing through its paces. Thanks!

How far away were you when trying the Bluetooth? My friend got one the other day and his worked up to about 75' with his Apple phone. I am getting one today. GREAT PRICE! $119.50 AT lOWES.

Right nearby it.
I only got it to connect once.
I cannot get it to connect again.

I seasoned it as per the instructions, and hand-washed everything I could. But I see your point, after all it was the very first time in use and additional seasoning time probably wouldn't have hurt. Hopefully I'll get better with repeated usage. I plan on putting this thing through its paces. Thanks!
Well, if it worked the second time..I really have no idea. I doubt you left any thing bad inside then. Some times you read people left insulation foam in it etc that wasn't meant to stay in, so on and so forth. But I would think you'd be tasting that forever!

What's the 20% coupon for the AMNPS, and still valid?

Edit: I found the coupon, back to school sale, but it's expired.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky