MES 20071117 Rusted out bottom hinge

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Dead_Leg

Original poster
Sep 24, 2019
I am looking for replacement parts or other ideas for my MES. Came home the other day to find that my door had fallen off. Upon further inspection I noticed that the bottom hinge receptacle has rusted out. From pictures I have seen it looks like it is just a small piece of metal that the hinge peg sits in. I have a cover for it but apparently I was too late in purchasing that. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 2019-09-18.jpg
    2019-09-18.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 52
  • 2019-09-18 (1).jpg
    2019-09-18 (1).jpg
    120 KB · Views: 51
Thank you for the lead. I called and they do not carry the part that is needed.

Thankfully it has not rusted all the way through. Still solid metal underneath the paint. Will clean that up with an angle grinder and then hit it with some high temp spray paint to prevent more rust.

Why not just use some small hinges and pop rivets to fasten door back on. Maybe a length of piano hinge.
I think I will try a 24" piano hinge with pop rivets. Seems like a very workable solution. Thank you for the idea.

Thankfully it has not rusted all the way through. Still solid metal underneath the paint. Will clean that up with an angle grinder and then hit it with some high temp spray paint to prevent more rust.

That is good that the rust did not go thru to the cabinet metal.
Buzzy has got you covered on the piano hinge idea.

I like the idea of using the piano hinge because it has low profile, but I fear that it will not stand up from an integrity point of view.

maybe when you're shopping for the piano hinge look for something that's very low profile but is made of a thicker plate of steel and therefore could take a thicker screw. The problem with the mes shell is that it only has so much meat to dig into and then you're digging into the foam interior.

I just fear that the actuation in a piano hinge will be detrimental to the small screws that it takes over a period of time

it looks like your mes needs a cover or better cleaning/storage or something. Because that much rust is a bit unusual.

I am not proud of the shape it is in currently. Much of the rust can be contributed to the fact that I live near/on a swamp in Florida and there is always moisture in the air. I unfortunately didn't think to get a cover for it the first year. It has been under a cover for the last year minus a week or two it was moved to the garage for hurricane prep. I am thinking of doing pop rivets instead of screws as buzzy suggested. I think those will hold up under the conditions. And also moving to garage storage.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky