MES 130B smoking question on time

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TheRodFather

Original poster
Jan 15, 2019
Hi everyone quick question. I’ve smoked on a propane smoker b4 but recently switched to the MES 130B. I’m looking to smoke a 10lb pork shoulder but I’m kinda up in the air with how much time I should allow and what temp to use. Sorry for the minor question I feel silly but I just feel like it’s a different ballgame going from propane to electric...thanks

canned answer: don't smoke to time, smoke to temperature.
the higher the temp, the shorter the smoke,
the lower the temp, the longer the smoke

I would say, about the same amount of time, should be fire, pellet, gas, or electric, its just a heat source. the inside of the smoker don't care what the source of the heat is. 250 degrees is the same all around. if'n ya have other issues, speak up.

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
^^^ What he said^^^

If you're going to wrap, take the IT to 155-165 then wrap in foil until IT reaches 200-203.

If unwrapped, shoot for IT of 203-206 or thereabouts

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky