MES 130b problem- fire

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Mellowcheddar

Original poster
Oct 21, 2018
Sabina, OH
Hey all,
First time poster here and new to the site. Picked up a 130b a few months ago. Broke it in and have used it a few times with no real issues. Smoked my turkey breast for Thanksgiving this morning, no issues. I shut the smoker door and figured I’d give it a little while to come back up to temp. Well I look up from my phone about 15 minutes later and there’s smoke coming into my house from the attached garage. I peek out and it’s a solid wall of smoke in there.

I had the smoker set up just inside the garage enough to keep it out of the rain. The garage door was halfway shut. I ran around to outside the garage door because I wasn’t going into solid smoke. I unplugged the smoker. The smoker alarm was going off. I shut the vent- barely, it was stuck pretty good- and shut the chip tube too- I had it pulled out a bit because I was using an AMZPS. I saw there were no live flames so I went back around to open the other garage door (they are electric). I had a fan at the back of the garage, blowing the smoke out of the garage. So I let the garage clear and then I go to check the damage. There is an oily residue coming out from under the control panel and blistering on the paint inside, and soot as well. From what i can tell the gaskets are intact. I pulled out the AMZPS, which was burning pretty good (Maybe too good?) with some tongs and dumped it out onto the wet grass. For a good 15-20 minutes I heard crackling in the cabinet although I couldn’t see anything on fire. I also knew better than to touch and see if it was hot. I can smell burnt plastic and some other inorganic material right now, about an hour later.

In looking thru other posts and other places online I have seen where the insulation has caught fire. I will admit I had the smoker door facing into the garage.

I’m stumped as to what went wrong here. Should I call Masterbuilt and see about a refund, or did I fudge something here? This is my first all-electric smoker so I’ll admit that’s a possibility. Thanks for any insight.

The amnps burning good. Maybe too good. Could be the problem . If something spilled, dripped on the pellets after opening the smoker.

Did you happen to notice the smoker temp when you shut it down?

I believe even if the pellets did catch fire, I don't think you will spike temps as high and cause the damage as you are describing. They would likely combust if there was a problem with a runaway temp situation anyway. Can you take some "after" photos?

Definitely a call to Masterbuilt in my opinon.

Did you happen to notice the smoker temp when you shut it down?

I believe even if the pellets did catch fire, I don't think you will spike temps as high and cause the damage as you are describing. They would likely combust if there was a problem with a runaway temp situation anyway. Can you take some "after" photos?

Definitely a call to Masterbuilt in my opinon.
I didn’t look, I ran up behind it and unplugged it and ran away! Lol. I suppose I could have but visibility was less than 3’ and I couldn’t see if there was fire coming out of the front.

Sounds to me like your Controller is bad, and your Smoker got much higher than the Maximum 275°.
In fact it only has to get above 325° to start making crinkling noises from the burning of the insulation between the inner & outer walls of an MES.

So I would say Bad controller or bad High Temp limit switch, or BOTH !!!

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky