Meater

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I just received my Meater Block. First look is very good. The quality, fit and finish are excellent. Pairing to my WiFi was child's play.

It will be a month or so before I get a cook with the Meater as the weather has been brutal in my neck of the woods.

How accurate is the estimated cook time? I'm in the middle of a 7lb shoulder right now. 2 hours in at 275 (turbo, ish) and it says 1.5h left. That doesn't seem right. I'm also wondering how it could calculate the stall (if it even can) when it doesn't ask for the weight of the meat.

How accurate is the estimated cook time? I'm in the middle of a 7lb shoulder right now. 2 hours in at 275 (turbo, ish) and it says 1.5h left. That doesn't seem right. I'm also wondering how it could calculate the stall (if it even can) when it doesn't ask for the weight of the meat.

Hi there and welcome!

Yeah that measurement isn't correct. Your probe placement may need to be rechecked and ensure it isn't hit the bone.
I usually stab large chunks of meat like pork butts and briskets with 3 probes. I usually get 1 out of the 3 placed properly so that is my approach for producing the most consistent and best BBQ I make :)

The probe was fine, it was an awkward cut so most of the bone was near the outside of one side. The estimated time seemed to become much more accurate once I hit the stall so it must only be using the time it takes to rise a degree over so many minutes. It eventually landed on what seemed to be a perpetual hour left mid stall so I don't think I'll be using the estimated time as any real measure. I didn't expect to anyway but as for the internal and pit temps, those were quite accurate so I'm pleased regardless. I hovered around 250-275, roughly 50m/lb

The probe was fine, it was an awkward cut so most of the bone was near the outside of one side. The estimated time seemed to become much more accurate once I hit the stall so it must only be using the time it takes to rise a degree over so many minutes. It eventually landed on what seemed to be a perpetual hour left mid stall so I don't think I'll be using the estimated time as any real measure. I didn't expect to anyway but as for the internal and pit temps, those were quite accurate so I'm pleased regardless. I hovered around 250-275, roughly 50m/lb

Well it's good to hear that things basically behaved the way they should. Getting to like 150-160F can often be a fairly fast ordeal. Its that 165F-205F range that really takes time :)

Well it's good to hear that things basically behaved the way they should. Getting to like 150-160F can often be a fairly fast ordeal. Its that 165F-205F range that really takes time :)

Yeah, I was kind of hoping the Meater's estimated time would be some sort of voodoo but that's ok. My normal time measures work just fine. I also discovered towards the end that you can share a live feed of the cook with it! All in all I really like it and I'm glad I backed it on KS. Now we just need to see how long they last :)

In the Kickstarter video they were estimating the remaining time more accurately with steaks that cook quickly. Then you have to make sure grill temps aren't grilling the probes. The electronics and battery in the pointed meat end are insulated by the meat being a cold sink and will fail about 212*F so don't use the probes unless they are stuck in something. Even then 203*F butts and briskets are getting close to the limit. Heat kills batteries faster than anything else even with phone fast chargers should be 40C-104F max or start expecting capacity loss. So I'm looking forward to life expectancy of the battery technology in the Meater.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky