Meat grinder recommendations.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
The LEM Big Bite grinders have a 5 year warranty; Academy says 2 year. The grind per minute - 4 lbs - is for a Big Bite 5, not the 8 which is 7 lbs per minute. I think Academy has made an error. A phone call from a prospective buyer might clear it up. It may or may not be a Big Bite (which has a large grab on the auger).

The link you put up says item no. W779 . When I search that number it comes up as LEM #8 .35 hp grinder .
Old Sarge is probably right . Old stock " Pre " big bite maybe ?
500 watt would be the .5 HP range .
Maybe, but it is confusing. Thanks Rich...

Double check the rating. LEM did, in the past, have lower HP models but upgraded a several years ago. You may be looking at 'new old stock'! Or it may be just a misprint.
I would like to think that Academy doesn't have "new/old stock" grinders, but maybe...

I'll parrot the LEM #12. I've put hundreds and hundreds of pounds of meat through it without a whimper. It is probably overkill for what I do. I imagine the #8 would be just fine for the average person, but you know the Tim the Tool Man mentality -- more power, argh, argh, argh.

The Academy site just refers to the grinder as the LEM #8. Not a Big Bite. 2 year warranty versus 5; grinds 240 lbs per hour versus 420 lbs per hour for the Big Bite 8. Academy price for the LEM #8 is $379. At LEM it is the #5 $349. The Big Bite #8 at LEM is $399. Buyer beware!

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
I have a Cabela's 1.5 HP. It takes longer to clean it then it does to grind 10-15 pounds of meat.Maybe overkill for you but just don't buy an undersized model . Any cheap beef will make a good burger,you may need to add a bit of fat to some lean cuts like an eye of the round .I like to grind pork butt for homemade sausage(bulk for patties is good) and I save the back fat cap to add to real lean beef. You still get a good beef flavor and a burger that won't fall apart!
Good to know, thanks.

Searching for a grinder, I found this

Seems WAY to cheap. What do ya think?
I think you aren't going to get a LEM 32# grinder for that price.

With discover card tour protected. I ordered a 3' toy robot (well the wife did), and I was delivered a 1' toy robot for my son at Christmas time. Discover reversed the charges and told me to keep the 1' robot toy.

Oh if only it were true!!!! If I had $95 to gamble with, no bills, no cares in the world, no family, and only a month to live, might be worth a shot.
I paid more than that for my 8# grinder. If I really thought I could get an $800 grinder for 95 bucks, I'd be all over it. Hard pass.

Reactions: crazymoon
My question is. How often are you going to use it. And how much grind do you plan to do each time?

so ... here's my take. i know it's kinda an old thread, but i don't see that you've posted anything that you've made a decision on this. some years ago, i picked up a 575w grinder at rural king for under $100 on sale. most of it is cast aluminum, except the blade and the plate... which is fine, except i have super hot water and it's now kind-of a concrete gray color. it's fine. bogs down with mostly frozen meat/fat. now that i've had a successful batch of homemade brats, i'm thinking of upgrading. definitely going with LEM for the mixer attachment availability as well as replacement parts. i'm torn between the 8 and 12 - but will probably go with the 8 since i'm not (currently) a hunter and don't process my own game.

Reactions: DemonPit and DougE
I have an 8# Weston now, and will go for a 12# at some point (likely LEM). If you can afford the 12#, then by all means, go bigger than what you think your needs are right now.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky