Meat for Jerky

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

scooby

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 24, 2012
What cheap cuts of meat are good for jerky?  I was buying brisket at about 98 cents a pound and having the butcher slice it but holy crap it's almost 3.00 a pound now and that's on SALE!  This is TEXAS for God's sake! We should have cheap beef.

Yep top round like Dave said, if you see one that says London broil that is good also. I went to wally world the other day and they had some alrealy sliced thin, I just seasoned it and thru it in smoker, came out great.

Good luck

happy happy happy smokin

Anything lean and cheap!

Kroger runs a buy one get one on free almost weekly on different types of lean roasts. Right now it's a boneless English roast. Whatever that is? Good for jerky!

I use whole eye of rounds for mine. I actually have about ten lbs in now.
Eye round with as little marbling as possible. Can find em in 2 packs - usually about 10 lbs total. Just trim the fat cap off. Eye round is also great for different size and shape pieces (cut long ways or short).

London Broil is good too. Little more of a pain to trim the fat without loosing too much meat but has little marbling which is a plus.

I find that London Broil works best for my Jerky.  I usually will wait until it goes on sale and buy as much of it as I can.  I will usually make a batch and freeze the rest to use during the summer for more Jerky.

This is the last batch I did.  I usually make my own curing brine but went with a purchased curing package.  It received mixed reviews as I also made a batch with my normal curing brine and served them side by side for comments.  Some preferred the commercial cure and some preferred my standard cure.  Below is a picture of the commercial cure.  I am not sure I liked what it did to the coloration of the meat.  Just seemed wrong as I was used to it being more of a black color due to my curing brine/marinade that I make on a regular basis.

Eye of round can get very expensive, yes. However, a little fat and connective tissue on a different cut of meat are not a big deal (but not too much either). Have a little more fat on the meat than you would like? Store your jerky in the freezer and keep it in the fridge when you want to eat some of it. Fat will go bad eventually but only does so when you leave the jerky at room temp for an extended period of time or in the fridge for too long ( a week plus). 

Do yourself a HUGE, HUGE favor and have the butcher slice for you on a piece that's nearly frozen-if you don't have a slicer already that is. A lot of times they'll include the slicing for free if you buy enough meat from them. 

Consider flank steak  or a round roast. MANY times, I've purchased a round roast for MUCH cheaper than Eye of Round prices. Roasts are oftentimes on sale. Eye of round?....almost never

Good luck-you'll find there is never enough jerky around. 

Last edited:
Here's a load of duck I got for free...I had to process them..no problem, brought them home ground them up shot the meat out my jerky gun...it's almost done...had sample already...very good! I use whatever meat I can get my hands on with no complaints from anyone who has tried it!:) plus I like it...that's what's important

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky