Measuring Smoker Temp

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gavin16

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 4, 2014
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Good Morning! 

So after buying my Cabelas remote thermometer, I'm kinda thinking I should've looked into a 2 probe or more thermometer, so I can keep track of both meat and smoker temps.  But for now, this will do.  I'll just keep track of one or the other! 

Last night I was using my thermometer just to keep track of the smoker temp, & see how accurate my door gauge was.  I run it throughout he small hole in the back of the MES analog, and left it hanging freely just above the 2nd rack (where my salmon was).  At first that seemed to work, however the thermometer slowly got closer to the sidewalls, and the temp skyrocketed.. 

What kind of material or how do you all place your thermometer in the smoker, without touching the metal? 

Thanks! 

Gavin

Gavin A temporary fix would be a small potato it will keep it in place off the grating.

Richie

The potato will work just push the probe through the potato far enough to get a good reading. You could get a block of wood and drill a hole slightly bigger than the probe and set it on the grate

Thanks for the input fellas!

I never thought about using a potato.  I'll give it a try this weekend until I find a small block of wood. 

The potato will work just push the probe through the potato far enough to get a good reading. You could get a block of wood and drill a hole slightly bigger than the probe and set it on the grate
The potato or wooden blocks are both a great idea. Just ensure that you push the probe right through so the tip (where the thermocouple is) is fully exposed. If you don't you will not get an accurate reading of the smoking chamber temperature.

The probes supplied with the Maverick thermometers have a small strip metal clip that has a couple of holes in it. The spring feet clip between the grill bars to keep it in place. You may be able to knock up something similar.

Wood and Metal can't be eaten
icon_smile.gif
  Rub Potato with Olive oil use a coarse salt you have a baked tater

Richie

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky