Meals for easy re-heating??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sowsage

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 18, 2017
Maplewood OH
My mom just got a new hip about 2 months go and it all went good. Today she had a knee replacement . I'm trying t think of some meals I can throw together and take over . something Dad can just warm up for the two of them and make things a little easier this coming week. Any ideas??

Most soups, stews, tavern meat or sloppy joes... whichever you call them. Different casseroles, lasagna, spaghetti, meatloaf, meatballs. Probably more that doesn't come to mind right off hand. Most of this can be frozen to be taken out thawed and reheated. When my mom was still with us my wife did the cooking for them also. So if she made extra she would portion it out and freeze some so if she got too busy there was always the ability to take meals out of the freezer for them.

Hope your mom recovers quickly! And you're dad better watch out... once she's healed she's gonna be able chase him around !

Ryan

Reactions: Sowsage
lasagna, meatloaf and mashed potatoes just off the top of my head, hope your mom is up and around soon. my mother had knee replacement a few years ago, it's amazing how fast she was up and around. i think she was 84 when she had them done.

Any leftovers from the kettle or smoker get vacuum sealed the next day or so for work lunches or quick suppers.

Chris

Most soups, stews, tavern meat or sloppy joes... whichever you call them. Different casseroles, lasagna, spaghetti, meatloaf, meatballs. Probably more that doesn't come to mind right off hand. Most of this can be frozen to be taken out thawed and reheated. When my mom was still with us my wife did the cooking for them also. So if she made extra she would portion it out and freeze some so if she got too busy there was always the ability to take meals out of the freezer for them.

Hope your mom recovers quickly! And you're dad better watch out... once she's healed she's gonna be able chase him around !

Ryan
Thanks Ryan! Lots of good ideas! I'll tell ya...he better watch out...i remember back in the day she was quick!!..i couldnt run fast enough to get away from the dreaded wooden spoon! Lol!! .....i bet I could fill a truck bed full of the ones she broke over my rear end. I know ive mentioned this before but she always told me if I was her first I'd had been her last! lmao!! And now with Knox( who looks and acts just as I did at that age) I know exactly what she meant!!

Reactions: Brokenhandle
I forget the exact number, but believe, 2 boxes of Lasagna Noodle, sauce,and cheese, make 4 2 serving Disposable Loaf Pans of Lasagna. A 4 pound Meatloaf Mix will fill, 2-3 pans. Line the bottom of 2 Loaf Pans with Prepared Stovetop Stuffing. Top each with 4 Boneless Pork Chops seared to 130°, and a Jar of French's Pork Gravy. You can kick the Gravy up with some sautéed Shallots and a Tablespoon of Dijon Mustard. Chicken and Dumplings can be put in Loaf Pans to heat and eat.
Italian Sausage and Peppers, rolls on the side. Loaf pans of Burrito Filling. Layer Taco Beef or other, Mex Yellow Rice, Cheese, Refried Beans. Serve with Tortillas, Salsa, Guacamole and Crema or Sour Cream on the side. Heat the filing and roll your own!
Loaf Pans of Shepard's Pie, seasoned Ground Lamb or Beef with Gravy. Add Peas and Carrots if you wish and a Mashed Tater Topping.
That's all I have off the top of my head...JJ

lasagna, meatloaf and mashed potatoes just off the top of my head, hope your mom is up and around soon. my mother had knee replacement a few years ago, it's amazing how fast she was up and around. i think she was 84 when she had them done.
Thanks Jim! I'll tell ya what. It's crazy the recovery time now with a surgery like this. Amazing!

Any leftovers from the kettle or smoker get vacuum sealed the next day or so for work lunches or quick suppers.

Chris
Thanks Chris ! When she had her hip done I took over ribs and some sliced loin. I'll probably do some ribs again. I might even drop off my sous vide to them for easy reheating.

I forget the exact number, but believe, 2 boxes of Lasagna Noodle, sauce,and cheese, make 4 2 serving Disposable Loaf Pans of Lasagna. A 4 pound Meatloaf Mix will fill, 2-3 pans. Line the bottom of 2 Loaf Pans with Prepared Stovetop Stuffing. Top each with 4 Boneless Pork Chops seared to 130°, and a Jar of French's Pork Gravy. You can kick the Gravy up with some sautéed Shallots and a Tablespoon of Dijon Mustard. Chicken and Dumplings can be put in Loaf Pans to heat and eat.
Italian Sausage and Peppers, rolls on the side. Loaf pans of Burrito Filling. Layer Taco Beef or other, Mex Yellow Rice, Cheese, Refried Beans. Serve with Tortillas, Salsa, Guacamole and Crema or Sour Cream on the side. Heat the filing and roll your own!
Loaf Pans of Shepard's Pie, seasoned Ground Lamb or Beef with Gravy. Add Peas and Carrots if you wish and a Mashed Tater Topping.
That's all I have off the top of my head...JJ
Thanks JJ! The pork chops and gravy over stuffing sounds perfect. That might just end up on their meal list! Thanks!

Reactions: chef jimmyj
I'll stay away from this one, because you already have some good ones, and I realize most of you guys hate to use Microwaves, and the only thing I won't Reheat in the Microwave is French Fries.
So I'm not much help on this one.---Sorry Travis.

Bear

Well Travis, I was gonna chime in but it looks like they have you covered...except for maybe a couple of those 25 pound sandwiches you make. Just cut it into 4 pieces, vac seal, and there's dinner for the two of them for a month. Problem solved :emoji_laughing:

Ever lending the helping hand,
Robert

If you have a vac sealer and a sues vide to loan them, you can put complete meals in the bag and have them reheated in sues vide. If it wifi controlled you could even control it for them.

Well Travis, I was gonna chime in but it looks like they have you covered...except for maybe a couple of those 25 pound sandwiches you make. Just cut it into 4 pieces, vac seal, and there's dinner for the two of them for a month. Problem solved :emoji_laughing:

Ever lending the helping hand,
Robert
Probably 2 months!

I'll stay away from this one, because you already have some good ones, and I realize most of you guys hate to use Microwaves, and the only thing I won't Reheat in the Microwave is French Fries.
So I'm not much help on this one.---Sorry Travis.

Bear
At one time I even considered getting rid of my microwave....then the kids came around..lol it's A life saver some days!

If you have a vac sealer and a sues vide to loan them, you can put complete meals in the bag and have them reheated in sues vide. If it wifi controlled you could even control it for them.
That's a great idea. I dint even think about the WiFi part!

Great ideas thus far! If your Mom is anything like mine, when you do the drop off get some carryout she likes. IE my Dad hates many fast foods that Mom loves... Time to pamper her. Dad can nuke BBQ or whatever.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky