Meal recipes for canned meats

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

archeryrob

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Oct 26, 2015
Western Maryland
What meals are you making with your canned meats? I have some canned chicken left, a punch of pork and about to can a lot more venison.

I have never made any and that's my fault, as a kid my grandmother canned meats, I never dived into canning of any sort, my mother done vegetables when I was a kid. Have been told by folks that deer was great canned. maybe borrow the sons canner pot and try a little this season if I get lucky

Deer is freaking awesone canned. I trim fat religously as our eastern deer are fatty as hell. I still get a little fat ring at the top and this removes all the wild flavor. You can drain the jar and shake the cubes on a plate and smash them with the back of a fork and it splits out like pulled pork.

Reactions: JJS
Best Venison meal I've had... Canned Venison Lasagna! Add 2 quart of Venison to 1 to 2 quart of your favorite Tomato Sauce and layer with noodles and cheese 🧀...JJ

Oh, okay. You're talking home canning. I was in Costco yesterday and saw 3-packs of canned pulled pork. <Gak!> I passed.

• Haha
Reactions: crazymoon
For my canned pork: Stew, pot pie filling, enchiladas, PP sandwiches, huevos rancheros, pork and sauerkraut and hash.

For my canned chicken and turkey: Stew, pot pie filling, chicken and noodles, chicken salad, chicken and rice, cobb salad, and enchiladas.

For my canned corned beef: As a main meal with cabbage and potatoes, sandwiches

I've seen pressure canned venison stroganoff recipes that look pretty good. Add a corn starch slurry when reheating and serve over noodles.

I already did the venison Stroganoff. I followed the ball recipe, but it has 2 tbsp of Worcestershire and needs 4, IMO.

I did some chicken in sagetti sauce and it was good, but the wife was like "It's not ground beef" I guess she didn't like the texture. Eery time I look up using canned meats, I only find how to can them.

I already did the venison Stroganoff. I followed the ball recipe, but it has 2 tbsp of Worcestershire and needs 4, IMO.

I did some chicken in sagetti sauce and it was good, but the wife was like "It's not ground beef" I guess she didn't like the texture. Eery time I look up using canned meats, I only find how to can them.

Now that I think of it, I probably got the idea from you 😆
As a new-ish homesteader and hunter, your blog is great resource! Been trying to convince my husband to build a walk in cooler for me lol

I can chicken and ground beef whenever the local butcher puts either on sale.

The ground beef I mostly use for homemade hamburger helper. 1 pint (~1 lb) of ground beef, warmed up in a large deep skillet. Add some minced garlic, saute for a min or so. Add a can of diced or crushed tomatoes, a jar of pasta sauce, 1-1.5 lbs of macaroni, some Italian seasoning, and 1-1.5 jars of water. Cover and bring to a simmer and then cook on low. Makes a great fast weeknight meal. I normally make extra for leftovers.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky