Meadow Creek bbq42 paint flaking and rust

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kevinl34

Original poster
Aug 22, 2013
Hello I purchased bbq42 grill/Smoker to do some catering on occasion. I was super excited with getting the bbq42 because chicken was my primary meat in which I love to do. I had a small event on yeaterday and nocticed some of the chicken had what looked like paint flakes on the meat. Let’s say I had to come up with plan b quick because I wasn’t going to serve me with paint on it. Long story short made it work and turn a disaster into a pretty good story. My question is has any that have a meadow creek that’s done this? My nieghbor just bought a utility building built by Amish hands and I know there quality isn’t top notch. Upon investigation I found a good many of spots hat was flaming as well. I loaded some pictures just to show these spot. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Attachments

• A37BF7C3-C14F-434F-B81D-C628A56E9209.jpeg
    A37BF7C3-C14F-434F-B81D-C628A56E9209.jpeg
    89.1 KB · Views: 58
  • DBCCD562-59BF-4911-AC6D-879CA1D4E7BB.jpeg
    DBCCD562-59BF-4911-AC6D-879CA1D4E7BB.jpeg
    140.7 KB · Views: 55
  • 97FE08CD-6DC2-44AB-BBD8-31553CA56925.jpeg
    97FE08CD-6DC2-44AB-BBD8-31553CA56925.jpeg
    130 KB · Views: 59
  • 0ED813A1-EA62-40EB-805D-C52D8EEFD54A.jpeg
    0ED813A1-EA62-40EB-805D-C52D8EEFD54A.jpeg
    86.4 KB · Views: 57
  • CC6F1BAE-D8FD-4C00-8E49-AB6CF09A2C0F.jpeg
    CC6F1BAE-D8FD-4C00-8E49-AB6CF09A2C0F.jpeg
    64.2 KB · Views: 57
  • 7E3BA804-7D59-46AE-ABAB-0D047E0848C0.jpeg
    7E3BA804-7D59-46AE-ABAB-0D047E0848C0.jpeg
    81.5 KB · Views: 56
I’m just wondering if it’s the high heat paint that was applied might have been defective because there workmanship is superior.

Please keep us posted on their customer service. I was considering buying one of these myself. That looks like an obvious issue that should be covered by them.

Hello I purchased bbq42 grill/Smoker to do some catering on occasion. I was super excited with getting the bbq42 because chicken was my primary meat in which I love to do. I had a small event on yeaterday and nocticed some of the chicken had what looked like paint flakes on the meat. Let’s say I had to come up with plan b quick because I wasn’t going to serve me with paint on it. Long story short made it work and turn a disaster into a pretty good story. My question is has any that have a meadow creek that’s done this? My nieghbor just bought a utility building built by Amish hands and I know there quality isn’t top notch. Upon investigation I found a good many of spots hat was flaming as well. I loaded some pictures just to show these spot. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.
Wow. I have the same unit. About 5 years old. And I use it a lot...and dose not look that bad. A little faded but nothing like yours. I do keep my in the garage when not in use. A great chicken cooker! I love it. I am sure they will back there product up. Call them

Mostly all in inside is what’s pictured. The outside which was kept covered has very little rust and chipping only for certain area which solely the front. The sides and top look very well, it wasn’t kept inside but it was always covered when not in use.

Did you buy it new?If not it looks like a rusty piece of junk that's been sitting in a field for a few years.

I purchased it from a gentleman that had the unit for 2years if that. I can assure he covered it because it’s not the outside that’s looks like this. The inside primarily so I’m thinking maybe the paint was defective. I don’t want to just toss the grill/Smoker because of what I have invested. I was trying to see if anyone had restored the inside or hadn’t it restored. I’m pretty sure it’s an isolated situation and wouldn’t hasitate buying another one of their units.

Now your first post in complaining about the paint quality of this cooker... nothing is mentioned until your last post that you had bought your cooker second hand. Let's play the devil's advocate here and say maybe the first guy wanted it to look extra nice and decided to repaint it. Let's also say maybe owner 1 wasn't the most knowing person and didn't prep the inside right or possibly use the correct paint or apply it right. These are the questions I would be asking if you called me up to complain about something that you bought used and would claim I have a poor quality product. I have no attachment to Meadowcreek, they are made about 45 mins from me. I have heard people like them.

Looks like condensate inside caused the rust... Condensate will happen when no air flow inside during storage.. Maybe it's sealed too air tight... I used to get condensate in my smoker.. I leave to door ajar now and all the air vents and inlets open for air flow...
Condensate occurs when the inside is cold and it warms up outside... Then condensate forms on the cold surfaces... especially when early morning fog happens after a really cold night...

Yes I checked with him on painting the inside and his response no and he also mention he didn’t think the inside was suppose to be painted. I took a brass steel brush to see if was grease and smoke build up but it didn’t look like it. Maybe a little build up but as you can see in the pictures below from today it’s to the bare metal and part of the finish is still there. The main question is if I were to re season the heck out of it would it be safe to cook on?

Attachments

• 00CC8505-E2F4-4BFC-B666-F9A35972DE7F.jpeg
    00CC8505-E2F4-4BFC-B666-F9A35972DE7F.jpeg
    66.9 KB · Views: 27
  • E449A0DE-FB3A-4424-A3C3-75BCF52266AA.jpeg
    E449A0DE-FB3A-4424-A3C3-75BCF52266AA.jpeg
    63.1 KB · Views: 28
Pour the smoke to it... You can oil the inside with a spray oil prior to heating, the heat will dry the oil, then add smoke... Take the smoker up to 350F or so for a few hours to cure the oil... Then the smoke will return everything to normal or better...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky