MBuilt Pro - Why not wood chunks?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thesmokindogs

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 12, 2016
Sloan, NY - suburb of Buffalo
I posted this question earlier but titled it wrong so I got no response.

The instructions for my MasterBuilt Pro dual fuel cabinet smoker say "NEVER use wood chunks. Chips only".

There's no explanation given and my inquiring mind wants to know why. I haven't been smoking meat long enough to fully understand all the physics and science of what's going on.

On Father's Day, when I initiated my smoker at a (fairly) constant 225°, I had to add chips about every 45-60 minutes.

In this environment, could the chunks have not burned hot enough or could they have caused creosote to form? I'm just really curious. [emoji]129300[/emoji]

Thanks & happy 4th of July! [emoji]133674693112[/emoji][emoji]127881[/emoji][emoji]133674693112[/emoji]

Yes. Can't say i am too happy with it (build quality). But it does work with chunks. You probably know this....don't put chunks directly in the tray. They will catch fire. Use a cast iron pan.

Thanks! I did not know that.

This is really my first smoker. A friend gave me a little Brinkmann Smoke 'n' Grill but I've only used it a couple of times. I love the charcoal flavor but the small door is a big pain.

Then my wife bought the MasterBuilt and I've only been using it. I've grilled on the Brinkmann several times and it's fine for that. As I said before I love the flavor charcoal imparts, even with hot dogs.

Even with my lack of familiarity with smokers in general, though, I can agree with you at least on the fact that the MB Pro seems kind of flimsy. Mine has a chronic issue with the bottom door sticking when the unit is at temperature. Don't know if it's worth it to try adding seals to the doors.

But overall I've been pretty happy with it. I have a few nit picky issues, the main one being the tank support. It should really fold up when not in use. My wife and I both have banged our shins and scraped our legs on it several times, even knowing that it's there.

I think it's a good starter smoker, especially at $139, but I can see it not lasting more than a few seasons.

Thanks again and have a great 4th!

Oh yeah...the tank bracket is an odd desgin. I had too some encounters with it than ended with swear words for it.

Happy 4th of July. We had our own on the 1st (Canada Day -150). Back in the chain gang today.

I've used chunks in a cast iron pan since day one. Zero issues. I also never used the tank support, but I have the tank sitting next to the unit on a concrete slab.

I modified mine with a large aluminum pan that has a lid. I drilled holes in the front and use a combination of charcoal and wood chunks. I het lots of smoke and a nice smoke ring

ErickSaint, you definitely have the right idea! I'm typically not one to ignore safety but the more I use this smoker, the more I want to remove the tank support, too.
1) Even with the bracket you can't move the smoker with the tank connected without two people.
2) Even with two people, why would you want to do #1? Disconnect the tank, then move the smoker.
3) We don't have small children around - or many adults for that matter. Just my wife and me and occasionally a couple, three friends over.
4) And, finally, my smoker's on a paved surface, kind of like a patio near our back door. It seldom moves, and like I said in #2, I disconnect the tank when I'm done cooking anyway.

Once I'm done with this slab of bacon, the tank bracket's history!

I modified mine with a large aluminum pan that has a lid. I drilled holes in the front and use a combination of charcoal and wood chunks. I het lots of smoke and a nice smoke ring

That's a good idea! Could you post a pic of how you prepared your pan?

I haven't tried charcoal in mine yet. Kinda got spoiled by the propane [emoji]128563[/emoji]

I've mostly done long smokes like shoulders, though, that take friggin forever. Gas is more stable for those long periods, especially once the smoking phase is done. Actually, it's not so much "stable" as convenient. I can get the temp stable and just let it go.

Anyway, this smoker seems to be pretty stingy with the gas. I did a total of 3 shoulders, with an average cook time of 16 hours each, 8 racks of spareribs, and a slab of bacon and still had gas in the tank.

Our little grill's tank finally ran out yesterday so I put the partial tank on it and put a full tank on the smoker for the 2nd slab of bacon. (I smoked the two slabs separately to use different wood)

Also, I have to pick up another bag of charcoal. Had a bag of Royal lump but I'm down to the bottom and it's all tiny pieces that burn through incredibly fast.

I'll definitely give your idea a try though. Thanks!

Asian style bacon

Wonder if any of the people that design some of these smokers ever really test them and know how people want to use them?

I think that's true for most products nowadays. Wonder if it's someone really interested in the art or just some 40 hour a week drone who's checking off a list on a laminated chart point by point. All the while counting the minutes till quitting time.

Makes you wonder.

ErickSaint, you definitely have the right idea! I'm typically not one to ignore safety but the more I use this smoker, the more I want to remove the tank support, too.
1) Even with the bracket you can't move the smoker with the tank connected without two people.
2) Even with two people, why would you want to do #1? Disconnect the tank, then move the smoker.
3) We don't have small children around - or many adults for that matter. Just my wife and me and occasionally a couple, three friends over.
4) And, finally, my smoker's on a paved surface, kind of like a patio near our back door. It seldom moves, and like I said in #2, I disconnect the tank when I'm done cooking anyway.

Once I'm done with this slab of bacon, the tank bracket's history!

I built this stand last week. The tank usually sits on the ground somewhere around that small table when I'm using it. And is stored in the garage when I'm not.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky