Masterbuilt 560 GF temp difference

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Have you tried cleaning the temp probe ?
A little wipe with a brillo pad might be in order. Other than that I have no other suggestions....yet 🤣

Keith
Thanks Keith. The probes on 560 are like your normal probes. They are not incased in aluminum like normal probes but have the sensor exposed. Cleaning of the probe was my first reaction. you cannot clean with brillo, you just have to use a cleaner/degreaser on a cloth and gently wipe it
but thanks for the suggestion. Keep them coming I'm pulling my hair out

Strange that you should bring Temp Issue up. I Have had my 560 now for about 4 years and mine has been off by 15 - 20 degree from the start, easy to live with I just set temp using my inkbird thermometer as my guide. I decided to smoke a turkey yesterday and to reach my desired 275 deg, I had to set my controller at 380 deg. For some reason my temp was floating + - 10 deg. No big deal but that is not how my 560 normally acts. I been scouring the web to try and find a cause but to no avail as of yet. My only thought are it must be the controller but I have no way of checking it. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

It was a whole turkey on the bottom grate ?

My first thought is the temp of the meat affected your Inkbird probe. Where was it located and how close to the meat ? A whole turkey would take up almost the entire cook chamber.

Did the temp diff decline later in the cook ?

Im guessing you used a large drip pan for a turkey ? Drip pans will impact cook chamber temps. They act as heat deflectors.

A year or two ago 912smoker recommended a certain size drip pan. I bought it and tried it and it played with the temps in my 560. It was too large. I later found that he has a 1050 so he can use a larger drip pan.

But the temp diff you got was larger than anything I've seen on my 560.

It was a whole Turkey 15.5 lbs placed on the center rack. My inkbird probe was attached to the center rack also. I may be off in my thinking but seeing the MB 560 has fan forced heat much like a convection oven so placed on the center rack the heat would be circulated very much even. All the biscuit test videos I've watched had the biscuits placed on the bottom which is alot closer to the heat vents, well before the air gets circulated evenly (or as evenly as possible). I'm a long way from being an engineer in thermal dynamics so my thoughts could be somewhere out in left field.
Today I'm going to run a half chamber load with an empty cook chamber to test temps,
Thanks Again for the assistance

Further up in this thread, I've posted pics of my biscuit test on both lower grate and what I call the middle grate, I think you may be calling that a center grate.

And yes, there is a temp diff between the controller reading and the middle grate.

Here's the graph of a baby back cook from last Friday.

Blue line is Thermoworks probe set not 2" from the MB controller probe, which the controller was set for 285.

The red and yellow lines are two Thermoworks probes on both ends of the middle grate. I cooked on the middle grate. I'll post a pic that shows where they were at ( and probe on right has fallen out of the clip ).

There was a 30* to 40* diff between lower and middle grate. And a 50 to 60* diff between controller setting and the TW probe on the lower grate.

BabyBack April 28 23.jpeg
20230428_140444.jpg

Looks pretty equal from yellow to red if i'm reading your graph right. I'd still be interested in a trouble shoot as to why I have a 100+ degree difference between controller and inkbird [which is right ] temp probe

Right to left across the grate, which is the yellow and red line, is not a problem.

Its the different levels that have a temp diff.

And I don't know what its like right to left on the bottom grate. That may very well be a horse of another color.

Last edited:
BTW, the difference to look at on that graph, is the blue line which is about 230* and my set cooking temp which was 285, until later in the cook when I bumped it up to 295.

Also, that red line spiking at about 12:30 , was when the probe came out of the clip and was laying on the grate.

I understand. Yours is off by 55 deg - mine by 100 deg. Both should be unacceptable. I was one of MB GF biggest fans if you look back on my posts from a ways back. The concern of most members was the longevity of the units. Well...Here's your sign!!
I'm doing a deep clean on it today and going to run an empty cook chamber to see if it is something other than the controller

I understand. Yours is off by 55 deg - mine by 100 deg. Both should be unacceptable. I was one of MB GF biggest fans if you look back on my posts from a ways back. The concern of most members was the longevity of the units. Well...Here's your sign!!
I'm doing a deep clean on it today and going to run an empty cook chamber to see if it is something other than the controller

I don't think mine is off.

I've already covered this ground earlier in this thread.

You're gonna get different temps on different cooking levels. The controller is adjusted for the center of the bottom grate.

And if you have large pieces of meat and a big drip pan, that's gonna screw with it even further.

Reactions: 912smoker
You're gonna get different temps on different cooking levels. The controller is adjusted for the center of the bottom grate.
I would agree with you if it were radiant heat. this is fan forced much like a convection oven or an air fryer. I believe you could see a difference of 5-10 degree but not much more with a convection system
Thank you

I've also seen one with a bad temp probe
I agree 100% there. If all else fails I will buy a new control board that comes with a probe
Thank You

Reactions: 912smoker
I would agree with you if it were radiant heat. this is fan forced much like a convection oven or an air fryer. I believe you could see a difference of 5-10 degree but not much more with a convection system
Thank you

I agree 100% there. If all else fails I will buy a new control board that comes with a probe
Thank You

Heat rises through the cooker. Go look at my biscuit test on page 1 of this thread. The biscuits on the middle grate were not as done as the lower grate.

This cooker has heat rising from the manifold up through the cooker and out the exhaust. It cools as it rises.

This thread and others here, are the only place I know of on the internet, where a discussion can be held about Masterbuilt gravity feeds.

I sooooo appreciate that.

I may disagree and I might agree with other posters, but dammit, its a conversation where our knowledge of these smokers can be advanced.

Reactions: 912smoker and PPG1
This thread and others here, are the only place I know of on the internet, where a discussion can be held about Masterbuilt gravity feeds.

I sooooo appreciate that.

I may disagree and I might agree with other posters, but dammit, its a conversation where our knowledge of these smokers can be advanced.
Yep most are definitely eager to help and spread the MBGF love lol.
Mine has had heavy use with minor issues and they turn out some
amazing Q !

Keith

Keith

There are the two Facebook groups, but the problem with Facebook is there's no archive. Its more real time.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky