Masterbuilt 560 GF temp difference

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smokin Okie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 27, 2018
Oklahoma City
Double smoking a spiral cut ham on the MB 560 yesterday and I thought I would test the MB controller, to see if the cook chamber was actually the same temp as the controller was set. I put a Thermoworks Signals probe within 2" of the MB probe.

The TW probe read appoximately 30* cooler than the MB was set to.

I did not believe this, so I broke out a brand new TW ambient temp probe and set it beside the first TW probe. It also ran 30* cooler.

I've not done this since the MB560 was new. It surprised me. I thought it might be due to having a ham in the cook chamber. So this morning I fired up the 560 and ran it empty and got the same result.

Anyone else have this diff ? Can explain this ? Maybe I need to clean the MB probe ?

Here's a pic of the probe location, the blue is the new TW probe, the red is the older one, and the yellow is where the MB probe is located.

Probe location.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: JLeonard
Boiling water test of all three probes this morning, they all read 210* .

Put some chicken thighs on the MB560 yesterday afternoon, set the MB560 for 300*, put three Thermoworks probes in the cook chamber, all in different locations. And I got three different temps.

So what temp am I cooking at ? Who knows ? I can take my pick.

20230423_172141.jpg

I would try cleaning the probe. If that doesn't work, keep using your TW as correct temp and adjust MB to achieve whatever temp you want to cook at.

I would try cleaning the probe. If that doesn't work, keep using your TW as correct temp and adjust MB to achieve whatever temp you want to cook at.

That's what I did yesterday. I'm gonna start setting the MB temp 25* higher than the temp I want to cook at.

I really don't think there's anything wrong with the MB probe. This morning, my thermometer on my patio said air temp was 55*. I turned the MB on and it read 55*. I took my Thermopen and put it next to the MB probe, and it read 56*.

I don't think I gain anything upgrading to a Fireboard Drive 2.

I really don't understand how those two TW probes were 2" away from the MB probe but read 30* lower. Has to be air convection ?

More heat reflecting of the sidewall, just a thought?

I wondered about that also. But the biscuit tests I ran when I first got it, don't show that.

It has a very definite hot spot, just to the left of center. I would think it would be hotter on the right side, next to the charcoal chute where the firebox is located. But not.

This pic is the top of the biscuits and shows where they were placed.

20210116_105322.jpg

This is the top shelf biscuits, with them turned over to see the bottoms

20210116_105409.jpg

Here's the top of the biscuits on the bottom grate

20210116_105450.jpg

And the bottom grate biscuits turned over

20210116_105530.jpg

And here's the bottom of the biscuits taken off in order and put on a cookie sheet , front row is the bottom grate, back row is the middle grate.

20210116_112834.jpg

And the same, but top of the biscuits , there's not much heat on the top of the middle grate.

mb edit.jpg

Just a note ........ I read through both of the Masterbuilt Gravity Feed Facebook groups last evening. And there were others who have a cooking temp and set temp difference. Several of them saying the same diff I get, 25 to 30 degrees. Almost all just take it into account when they set their temp to cook.

Wonder if the hot spot away from the firebox is due to the fan blowing the hot air across the CC and then circling back.

Jim

Wonder if the hot spot away from the firebox is due to the fan blowing the hot air across the CC and then circling back.

Jim

That could be a large part of it.

There's a manifold the air/heat flows through, can get a picture of it here

The hot spot is right at the end of the manifold, which does not extend all the way across the cook chamber. There's maybe 4" from the end of the manifold to the wall of chamber.

So once the air hits the end of the manifold, it goes up.

I've forgotten the temp setting when I ran those biscuit tests, probably 275. I would guess at lower temps, like 225, the hot spot would not be as hot.

How can a Thermoworks probe sitting 2" from the Masterbuilt controller probe have a 30* diff ?

Its explained in this vid, at a point I've set the vid to start, to save ya a lot of time watching a biscuit test on a MB800.

Its highly likely, that the controller does not use the ambient temp where the probe is placed. They've offset the controller to account for the middle of the grill running hotter than the far left side.

( slapping my head ) , why did I not think of that .

So its best to set your GF controller at the temp you want to cook.

I'm not sure how we cooked before we got all these new fangled therms lol

I get that.

Things are suppose to be " new and improved " and make life easier for us, when almost every time all they do is create a new set of problems. Its universal.

I have the 1050 and about the same temp zone and hot spots as you and the 560.
When it's loaded down I just rotate the meat after a couple of hrs.
20230309_230929.jpg
Otherwise I just but the temp up 25° if I'm using the right hand side.

The MBGF turns out some amazing food and I'm going to be adding another 1050 soon. We use it in comps and need the extra room.

Keith

View attachment 664624

The MBGF turns out some amazing food and I'm going to be adding another 1050 soon. We use it in comps and need the extra room.

Keith
Nice how does the mb1050 do against the stick burners in comps?

View attachment 664624

Keith

Well, it just makes good sense that MB would not control the temp in the cooker by a probe against the wall on the far left, as it is in my 560.

If they could, they'd put a probe in the middle of the lower grate, where most people would place their meats. So to compensate, they adjust the controller.

Nothing wrong with that.

Nice how does the mb1050 do against the stick burners in comps?
We have been very fortunate Cliff.
I stand a good sized split in the middle and surround it with lump so we get a continuous , clean smoke. Nice color, flavor and ring. We got a GC last yr and a 1st in chicken 2 weeks ago. Beat a whole bunch of big rigs and high $$$ stick guys.

Keith

We have been very fortunate Cliff.
I stand a good sized split in the middle and surround it with lump so we get a continuous , clean smoke. Nice color, flavor and ring. We got a GC last yr and a 1st in chicken 2 weeks ago. Beat a whole bunch of big rigs and high $$$ stick guys.

Keith
Nice, I have never used lump in mine just briquettes and chunks or splits of course.

Reactions: 912smoker
Double smoking a spiral cut ham on the MB 560 yesterday and I thought I would test the MB controller, to see if the cook chamber was actually the same temp as the controller was set. I put a Thermoworks Signals probe within 2" of the MB probe.

The TW probe read appoximately 30* cooler than the MB was set to.

I did not believe this, so I broke out a brand new TW ambient temp probe and set it beside the first TW probe. It also ran 30* cooler.

I've not done this since the MB560 was new. It surprised me. I thought it might be due to having a ham in the cook chamber. So this morning I fired up the 560 and ran it empty and got the same result.

Anyone else have this diff ? Can explain this ? Maybe I need to clean the MB probe ?

Here's a pic of the probe location, the blue is the new TW probe, the red is the older one, and the yellow is where the MB probe is located.

View attachment 663566
Strange that you should bring Temp Issue up. I Have had my 560 now for about 4 years and mine has been off by 15 - 20 degree from the start, easy to live with I just set temp using my inkbird thermometer as my guide. I decided to smoke a turkey yesterday and to reach my desired 275 deg, I had to set my controller at 380 deg. For some reason my temp was floating + - 10 deg. No big deal but that is not how my 560 normally acts. I been scouring the web to try and find a cause but to no avail as of yet. My only thought are it must be the controller but I have no way of checking it. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Have you tried cleaning the temp probe ?
A little wipe with a brillo pad might be in order. Other than that I have no other suggestions....yet 🤣

Keith

Reactions: PPG1
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky