May I Ask Why ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Winterrider

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 29, 2018
North Dakota
Summer sausage time again.
This go around will use Curley's Summer Sausage seasoning
5# Mule Deer
5# Pork Butt
10# seasoning mix
Amesphos (4 tsp )
Muslim bags
Cut and ready for KA grinder.
20220328_134514.jpg

Seasoning all mixed in and fry test done. Lacked a little something so added a little garlic powder and white pepper and some mustard seed. Test patty was better, stuffed and fridge overnight.
20220328_162429.jpg

Next morning heated up MES 40 and set at 130°
Ambient temp approx 23°, 25 mph wind. Smoker set back out of wind the best I could.
Hour later bumped temp to 150° and added LJ Competition Pellets
1 HR later temp to 165 ° and let it roll to target temp of 145°
After about 8 hrs I raised temp to 175° ( trying to stay below fat-out temp ) and finally after 11.5 hrs, it was complete. Let hang for awhile and fridged overnight.
Sliced and vacced
20220330_114709.jpg
20220330_121102.jpg

My question is , why would this batch have taken 3.5 hrs longer than the last batch (early January ) when temps where below zero then ? MES had no issues maintaining temps either time. I only used about a 1/2 cup more ice water in this batch than previous. Would the additional moisture be the culprit? Same Inkbird thermometers used and tested ice water.
Just wasn't expecting that long of a smoke.

Reactions: ronf and SmokinAl
Looks delicious for sure! I bought some of those bags after the last batch you made...haven't used them yet.

Ryan

Reactions: Winterrider
Looks real good.

Let me put my 2 cent in.

Ames phose retains moisture, you used 1/2 cup ice water which added more moisture to the mix. Upon that the muslin bags hold moisture. When i had a mes (poj) 10 lbs was pushing it. Wether really has an impact on the process.

Reactions: Winterrider
Was it the same kind and amount of meat the last time ??
It was different seasoning this time, Curleys vs. Owen's last time. Same amount of meat.
Thank you all for your input, advice, and likes. I'm kinda leaning towards the additional water kept it moist longer. Note added to pad for next time :emoji_relaxed:

Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky