Maxed Out Jumbo Mini w/Pics

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Better be careful David.       
police2.gif

I let it roll overnight unwrapped. Went to bed with the maverick on the night stand set for lows and highs. At 3 am my phone alarm went off, due to me not turning it off for my normal work schedule. I looked at the maverick and the chamber was at 230 and the food was at 171. So I went back to sleep. Got up at 5:50 thinking something was wrong, why has the maverick not gone off? Is it broken? Great, now I have 2 mavericks down!!! So I take it to the other room to look at it to see what is wrong. Nope nothing wrong, the cook chamber is sitting firm at 225 and food still at 171. I need to check the lower meat temps, but all of my heat will go away, but I need to get this done soon, I will be gone all day. So I open the smoker and I see this.......

Not bad! Not bad at all is what I think. It looks a bit darker then I like, but looks good. So I remove the top layer and check for tenderness and they are spot on (more later on this). I check the bottom for tenderness and they are done, a little much for me. So I bring them inside to look more.

I get situated to start hand pulling them. As I am going through them, I am very happy with what I am seeing from the butts. They are moist, tender and still have texture. I was also testing and playing with trimming them for competitions, so I was also looking at how the "money muscle" came out (sorry no pics of that. Goopy hands and no helper). I proceed to hand pull everything and get it ready for bagging (some was for me to stock up and the rest was for my father in law). As I said earlier, I also wanted to see how far I can push this smoker. Besides I love to cook and the new smoker needed to be seasoned more.......:biggrin:

Drum roll please...........

I ended up with a very full 4" deep hotel steemer pan full of pulled deliciousness. I added 1 can of apple juice concentrate and 1 can of water, just to add a little liquid back into the pan. I found the picnics a little on the dry side and I usually will have liquid from being wrapped in a pan to throw back in with the pork.

Who is ready for the money shots?????

I will have to declare the winner of this battle was....... The Jumbo Mini!!!!
The coaching staff struggled in the beginning, but once they settled down and allowed the Jumbo to do its thing, it was all over for the pork bits.......

Ok, so I mentioned earlier about the tenderness and more later. I know it is pretty much a standard on every forum to cook the pulled pork to 205, so the bone just falls out and the pork falls a part. I am not saying that it does bad pulled pork that way. For me and how I like to eat my cooked meats, I like to have some texture, not chewy, but a little bite to the meat. For me cooking the pork to 205 and letting rest for an hour or so ends up with a mushy over cooked product. I don't like that. Yes, pulling is a bit more time consuming, but not much. In my humble opinion, if you are willing to spend over 8 hrs watching a fire and giving your attention to a product. Why not have it finished properly? From the time I got out of bed to the time I finished with bagging, it was under 45 min. This included removing the pork, cleaning the area up, pulling the pork, inspecting for comp pieces, pictures, bagging and cleaning up the counters. I was never in a hurried pace at any time. And yes the bones were picked clean. Ok that is my side.....

I started with 2 ea picnics weighing 7# each. I removed the skin before cooking (making pellets now for cracklin), so they were at about 5 # after that. The butts started at 21# combined before trimming. I trimmed maybe 3# off (saved for sausage). After cooking I ended up with just under 19# finished product.

Last edited:
Great cook. Glad it handled the over night cook like a champ.

Looks great! Glad you let it roll all night! Now you know it can do it! If you hadn't then you'd be thinking you'd need a stoker and a blanket and a... I like the KISS methods the best. Keep It Simple Stupid!

It looks fantastic. Glad to see it was up to the job and that you were able to sleep while everything rolled along. 

I have to agree on the KISS. I am suppose to rib you about a BGE. I would however when you can turn out such

fine looking Q and sleep while you are doing it. I will just sit in the corner and keep it to my self. And since I just

Did 18# of butt in my MES40 yesterday. That is the reason we have more than one smoker. So we can enjoy

them. I am thinking you are going to be enjoying this one for many years to come.

Happy smoken.

David

Great cook. Glad it handled the over night cook like a champ.

Thank you. Yes I was very happy with it.

Looks great! Glad you let it roll all night! Now you know it can do it! If you hadn't then you'd be thinking you'd need a stoker and a blanket and a... I like the KISS methods the best. Keep It Simple Stupid!

I think I need to figure out a little something with the ash area. I am not sure if something was clogging the bottom, but the first run of the basket did not last long.

Great looking pork! I could use a plate now for some breakfast!

Thank you. I was thinking about egg and pulled pork burritos, but the boss was not feeling it.

It looks fantastic. Glad to see it was up to the job and that you were able to sleep while everything rolled along. 
I have to agree on the KISS. I am suppose to rib you about a BGE. I would however when you can turn out such
fine looking Q and sleep while you are doing it. I will just sit in the corner and keep it to my self. And since I just
Did 18# of butt in my MES40 yesterday. That is the reason we have more than one smoker. So we can enjoy
them. I am thinking you are going to be enjoying this one for many years to come.
Happy smoken.
David

Yes sleep is a very important thing. That is what I like about this smoker is it is very basic and not many things to figure out on operating it. Not sure about the BGE part, I dont have one. I did tell my wife the next time I need to cook that much I am going to use the smokehouse. It was definitely pushing what it can handle.

Go , Jarjar . I'm with you ...:popcorn

Have fun and stock up on snacks and drink...:biggrin:

It may be a long smoke. . .

Have fun and . . .

Stan thank you for stopping in. It was not that bad. It was on there for 12hrs and I pulled it do to leaving for several hours.

I need to see how ribs work out!

Has anyone used a pan to catch the drippings to make a finishing sauce in the mini or jumbo mini? I might have to try that next time.

I need to see how ribs work out!

Has anyone used a pan to catch the drippings to make a finishing sauce in the mini or jumbo mini? I might have to try that next time.

Not with ribs, but I have used a drip pan with butts, and a multitude of beef roasts in the mini. Make smokey Au jus all the time. Or just smoker roasted veggies which I set below the top rack.

Last edited:
Great cook and you gotta love the jimmy!   That PP looks good enough to eat!    I'll be doing the 4 butts in mine August 1st, but they'll be hanging.   I'm looking for a 6 hour cook....NOW that'll be a great test for the jumbo mini aka Jimmy's capability  lol   

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky