Maverick ET-733 thread

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Received my 733 yesterday and am excited to try it out tomorrow in a pork shoulder. Probes were bang on with each other when I calibrated today. They read 36 in ice water and 205 in boiling water (I'm at 3500' elevation). Ridiculous how excited I get with new smoking toys. [emoji]128515[/emoji]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Received my 733 yesterday and am excited to try it out tomorrow in a pork shoulder. Probes were bang on with each other when I calibrated today. They read 36 in ice water and 205 in boiling water (I'm at 3500' elevation). Ridiculous how excited I get with new smoking toys. [emoji]128515[/emoji]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I've been using mine for about 3 years. I also use it in the kitchen when cooking a ribeye roast.

So I boil tested my Et-733, I got 212 with the two probes that came with the set, and 214 with the two hi-bred probes that I picked up last week, I am at sea level so that's with in the margin.  looks like everything is good.

I received my ET 733 on March 24th (came w/Bear Paws too!).  I was excited to use it the next day on a Boston Butt.  When I initially hooked everything up the two probes read 2-4° difference between each other at room temperature....  When I used them the next day on the smoker, one probe was reading correct while the other fluctuated between 7-52° different from the other on the same surface!  I've since contacted Maverick 6 times by phone, leaving 4 messages - I've never had anyone answer the phone.  I also sent 4 emails and just last week I FINALLY received a response....  I fly 2-3 times/week and can honestly say that airline customer service is better than Maverick's.  Luckily the company that packaged the thermometer and bear paws (the Amazon seller) has been incredible with their customer service.  They sent replacement probes which did not solve the issue.  Seems like a bad sending unit as which ever probe is connected to "probe 2" is always wildly fluctuating.  

I'm still working to get this resolved but it is in NO way to Maverick's credit - they are terrible to deal with.  I can't thank CSQ (Cool Stuff Quick)'s customer service, they go above and beyond what they should have to.

Hopefully I get a replacement unit by Friday as it's supposed to be gorgeous this weekend.  I may just buy another and return this unit.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?  Sorry if I missed a similar story, I didn't have time to scan all 15 or so pages of this post.

@brentos,

I only had to deal with Maverick 2 times in 7 years, and I had none of the CS problems:

My first time was with an ET-73. The little switch on the back broke off during my first use. I called them---They answered----Sent me a Brand new unit-----Didn't need to send the other one back.

The second time was a bad probe. Called them---They answered & I had a new probe in 2 days, along with a backup that I paid for.

Sorry to hear of the problems you've had. Maybe they got some new help???

Bear

Last edited:
I do have to follow up to give credit to Maverick's authorized dealer that I purchased this unit through.  They came through with amazing customer service and I now have a working ET 733 along with a 3' & 6' set of probes.  My Maverick worked great yesterday and help make a fantastic spatchcock chicken!

I do have to follow up to give credit to Maverick's authorized dealer that I purchased this unit through.  They came through with amazing customer service and I now have a working ET 733 along with a 3' & 6' set of probes.  My Maverick worked great yesterday and help make a fantastic spatchcock chicken!
It would probably help to note that the company with the great customer service is CSQ (Cool Stuff Quick).

I just picked up a copper 733!!! The best part was that it came with a third probe for smoker temps that's 6 feet long!!! How awesome is that !!! Three probes no extra cost!!! Gotta love it

Ordered this and I'm returning it without ever using it! A 6 degree difference between probe 1 and 2. Also takes longer to set up than to cook! Horrible product!

Ordered this and I'm returning it without ever using it! A 6 degree difference between probe 1 and 2. Also takes longer to set up than to cook! Horrible product!
That's why I get the ET-732----The 733 is Too Fancy-Schmancy for me. I don't like to play games setting things---I just want to use them.

Did you have both probes in boiling water when they were 6° Different?

Bear

That's why I get the ET-732----The 733 is Too Fancy-Schmancy for me. I don't like to play games setting things---I just want to use them.

Did you have both probes in boiling water when they were 6° Different?

Bear
Yes I agree. I still mostly use my ET-732s. The 733 only comes out if I need an extra thermometer.  
I have not experienced that kind of difference between the probes on any of my 732s or 733. Both the 732s and 733s will work quite happily out of the box and, even though the 733 is more fiddly to first set up, once it has been initially configured to your probe requirements it is just plug and play unless you want to change probe types.

It is not a horrible product - the number of people successfully using them worldwide I think supports this - but you may have been unlucky and were shipped a "Friday afternoon" unit.

HI All Any one buying a Maverick has to go to Todd at A-Maze-M Products..He is one of our sponsors, with EXCELLENT customer service.

Dan

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/247365/todd-is-amazing
Funny you should mention it. I just bought a Maverick ET-733 from Todd today (2nd one I've bought from him). Since he generously includes a card with a 10% off discount to be used on a future order, I took advantage of it to get a discount on my purchase plus the free shipping. Yep, Todd provides among the best customer service there is. Nordstrom's could take lessons from him.

Is it just me ? Or are the instructions for the 732 very hard to understand?
I own the ET-733 and the operation is identical to the ET-732. For the first TWO years I kept the instruction manual in front of me when I change settings. That was over 2 years ago and I've gotten to the point where I can to it by rote--for the most part. You don't have to program it all for it to display smoker and cooking temps. I change the settings because I like to use the alarm feature.

The 733 (well, Ivation) went on sale this week on amazon, put in an order for one after my second cheapy thermometer died this year. Haven't been doing much smoking the last few weeks, hopefully get started again soon.

had my first probe quit working on me last weekend,  I think it got pinched funny in the door and that is why it quit working

only thing I can figure, there was one spot on the wire braid that was kinda flat and sharp if I tried to squeeze it back round

any tips on keeping from pinching those?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky