Maverick ET-73 to Maverick ET-733 ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

merkin

Original poster
Oct 18, 2016
I bought a Maverick ET-73 I think it was around 25 dollars.  I've read great reviews on this site and others about Maverick products. This model obviously cuts cost at every corner.  With my first one the receiver stopped working after about 8 smokes. I received a new one with little hassle.  The second one both probes went bad after the first smoke. So I want to upgrade to the ET-733 but I am a little gun shy about buying another Maverick product. My question is has anybody bought a ET-73 then bought a ET-733 and saw a significant upgrade in quality and function? Should I give them another go?

Don't know about the 73 never had one, but I have had the 733 for about three years now...wouldn't even think about smoking without it, and haven't had a single problem with mine. Takes a few cooks before you get the hang of programming it...lol..you'll need to keep the instructions close by, at least I did, but it is actually easy to program once you understand it.  I really like that the probes can go either way, smoker temp or meat temp or both of one or the other.  I do wash my probes, they will turn dark for any part inside the smoker.  I use a scotts bright pad on them (little green pad) and return them to silver after every use, and think that may contribute to making it last longer and problem free.  Haven't had a problem yet.  I wouldn't hesitate to get the 733, you'll be happy with it for sure, highly recommended...

The ET-73 is Great, but it doesn't have the range of the ET-732 or 733.

I started with the ET-73. It worked Great, but it couldn't see through my front door (Steel).

So I bought the ET-732, and demoted my ET-73 to Basement Curing fridge duty. It only has to see through my kitchen floor. It's been doing that for 6 years without a problem.

The ET-732 does a Great job for 6 years, along with a second one I got a couple years ago. I only ever needed two replacement probes out of all 3 of them with a total of 16 years usage.

I never tried the ET-733 because I heard it was a PITA learning how to set it up each time you use it. The 732 is awesome!!

Bear

Another vote for the 732.

Mine has hundreds of cooks on it.   Still working great.   Only one set of replacement probes so far.

Thanks for your reply's.  I'am going to buy the 733. Sure I'll have better luck with this one.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky