• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

MATCHLIGHT CHARCOAL...

fatboycoalition

Fire Starter
Joined Apr 8, 2016
I know not to use Matchlight for smoking. However, my brother used my Weber to grill some steaks and used Matchlight. Do I have to do anything to my kettle before using it to smoke again? Thanks in advance.

lemans

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Dec 29, 2013
No no don't worry. Once the coals are burning for a few mins all the starter fluid is burned off... much to do about nothing!

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 12, 2010
Cowgirl borrowed a Big Green Egg, or something like that, to use in a competition..  She never used lighter fluid to fire up her charcoal... Yet the judges could taste it...   Come to find out, the owner of the Egg used lighter fluid to light his coals...  

So, I don't know if Match Light taste will linger but it's something to be aware of....  I don't know how to eradicate any petroleum flavors left over...   Maybe the Weber won't absorb that horrid flavor...  That would be a good thing.... 

fatboycoalition

Fire Starter
Joined Apr 8, 2016
No no don't worry. Once the coals are burning for a few mins all the starter fluid is burned off... much to do about nothing!

Cowgirl borrowed a Big Green Egg, or something like that, to use in a competition..  She never used lighter fluid to fire up her charcoal... Yet the judges could taste it...   Come to find out, the owner of the Egg used lighter fluid to light his coals...  
So, I don't know if Match Light taste will linger but it's something to be aware of....  I don't know how to eradicate any petroleum flavors left over...   Maybe the Weber won't absorb that horrid flavor...  That would be a good thing.... 
Thank you gentlemen.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.