MATCHLIGHT CHARCOAL...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fatboycoalition

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 8, 2016
Oceanside/Murrieta CA
I know not to use Matchlight for smoking. However, my brother used my Weber to grill some steaks and used Matchlight. Do I have to do anything to my kettle before using it to smoke again? Thanks in advance.

No no don't worry. Once the coals are burning for a few mins all the starter fluid is burned off... much to do about nothing!

Cowgirl borrowed a Big Green Egg, or something like that, to use in a competition..  She never used lighter fluid to fire up her charcoal... Yet the judges could taste it...   Come to find out, the owner of the Egg used lighter fluid to light his coals...  

So, I don't know if Match Light taste will linger but it's something to be aware of....  I don't know how to eradicate any petroleum flavors left over...   Maybe the Weber won't absorb that horrid flavor...  That would be a good thing.... 

No no don't worry. Once the coals are burning for a few mins all the starter fluid is burned off... much to do about nothing!

Cowgirl borrowed a Big Green Egg, or something like that, to use in a competition..  She never used lighter fluid to fire up her charcoal... Yet the judges could taste it...   Come to find out, the owner of the Egg used lighter fluid to light his coals...  
So, I don't know if Match Light taste will linger but it's something to be aware of....  I don't know how to eradicate any petroleum flavors left over...   Maybe the Weber won't absorb that horrid flavor...  That would be a good thing.... 

Thank you gentlemen.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky