Masterbuilt Smokers (Bear’s Thoughts & Findings)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks guys, I appreciate it! I think I'll keep an eye on this one: http://www.cabelas.com/product/CABE...gclid=CLDfkaODvdACFVM9gQodwBsJlQ&gclsrc=aw.ds
I would look for one like that, but with a Window, but I'm spoiled----I wouldn't want to have to go to one without a Window, after 6 years with a Window.

However, a Gen #2.5 Without a Window would be far better than a Gen #2 with or without a Window. IMHO

There were some guys here a week or 2 ago that were buying Gen #2.5 MES 40s for $279 and less somewhere!!

If you see one for $279, buy it---I wouldn't wait for a Gen #2.5 BT to go lower than that.

Bear

Hi Bear,

Have you tried the Masterbuilt, XL 44 propane, 2 door, 2 burner smoker? I just got my early Christmas present and wanted your thoughts.

Thanks.

JD

Last edited:
Hi Bear,

Have you tried the Masterbuilt, XL 44 propane, 2 door, 2 burner smoker? I just got my early Christmas present and wanted your thoughts.

Thanks.

JD
Sorry JD,

I'm Strictly an MES kind of a guy.

Like Shultz "I Know Nuthing" about any Gas Smokers.

Bear

I would look for one like that, but with a Window, but I'm spoiled----I wouldn't want to have to go to one without a Window, after 6 years with a Window.
However, a Gen #2.5 Without a Window would be far better than a Gen #2 with or without a Window. IMHO

There were some guys here a week or 2 ago that were buying Gen #2.5 MES 40s for $279 and less somewhere!!

If you see one for $279, buy it---I wouldn't wait for a Gen #2.5 BT to go lower than that.

Bear

Thanks Bear!

Hi! smoker 21,
I started out about 20 years ago on a $59.00 all in one gas bullet smoker. It was hard to regulate steady consistst heat, but I did turn out some good smoked foods and some not so good do to a lack of smoking knowledge that I finally got when I joined the forms 3 years ago.
Something finally went wrong with the burner on my all in one and it started putting out black smoke. That's when I bought a WSM 221/2" using charcoal for fuel. My ribs up to that point in my gas smoker smelled and tasted like bacon. I also have a MES 2.5 40" and I am unable to reproduce the smell and bacon flavor on either. I read an article a while back that explained that the combination of gas, wood, and steam from the water pan causes that bacon like smell and taste. I really miss that and have been thinking of the XL 44 for ribs, but I am so spoiled by my MES electric that it would be hard to go back to a smoker that I actually have to baby set even my WSM is set it and forget it either the IQ 130 temp regulater but still require More messing around then the MES I monitor both from my phone which is nice. Even so if I had the space I would have one of those big stick burners.
Still might get XL 44 just for ribs.

Hi! smoker 21,
I started out about 20 years ago on a $59.00 all in one gas bullet smoker. It was hard to regulate steady consistst heat, but I did turn out some good smoked foods and some not so good do to a lack of smoking knowledge that I finally got when I joined the forms 3 years ago.
Something finally went wrong with the burner on my all in one and it started putting out black smoke. That's when I bought a WSM 221/2" using charcoal for fuel. My ribs up to that point in my gas smoker smelled and tasted like bacon. I also have a MES 2.5 40" and I am unable to reproduce the smell and bacon flavor on either. I read an article a while back that explained that the combination of gas, wood, and steam from the water pan causes that bacon like smell and taste. I really miss that and have been thinking of the XL 44 for ribs, but I am so spoiled by my MES electric that it would be hard to go back to a smoker that I actually have to baby set even my WSM is set it and forget it either the IQ 130 temp regulater but still require More messing around then the MES I monitor both from my phone which is nice. Even so if I had the space I would have one of those big stick burners.
Still might get XL 44 just for ribs.
If you want Ribs that taste Awesome---Like Bacon, Try This---It's real easy:

Link:

Bacon-On-A-Stick      

Bear

Thanks Bear,
I had wondered about that as ai do have TQ something called sweeter than sweet which is like TQ and I have pink #1. Can I wet Brian them?
You could wet brine cure them, but IMHO Dry curing with TQ gives these more flavor.

Whichever way you do it, don't worry about curing all the way to center, because you're going to Hot Smoke, Like I did.

The cure in this case is mostly just for the flavor.

Bear

Hi REMSR,
Thanks for the response. I bought it to try it. So many of the. Many of the BBQ restaurants around here are using gas or electric smokers, and are producing some good eats. With it not being insulated, I'm sure temp control will be a challenge. Other than that, I'm looking to have some fun.

Let me start by saying I am a newby, so new that I am still researching models.  I narrowed it down to masterbuilt; however, I am overwhelmed by the numerous types sold out there and what would be best for me.  I missed the QVC special which was priced fantastic and included everything from stand, to glove, recipes racks etc.

Now... WOW! I loved your review.  I have been reading on this site for hours and days.  getting more and more frustrated on decision making.  It is a big purchase for me.  Your reviewed helped me to at least decide which model to go with... I think. :-)

Question:

1. I was thinking of getting the 30 not the 40. do you think the results would be similar to the 40 you talked about as far as equal heating etc..?

2.  I can get the BT version including stand at homedepot for $269. but have to buy cover, gloves, rib & chicken rack; amazon was $299. for NON-BT ( so I guess, based on your review the Gen 2) and comes with accessory pack (gloves, rib/chicken rack, & cover).  What I believe Iam reading in your review is the BT is more stable environment and worth the extra money even if I don't use the BT?

THANK YOU AGAIN for a fabulous review and help.  I'm dying to buy one soon  :-)

Any other suggestion?
Don't get too frustrated I am new too, I realize that there are people on here that have been smoking meats for years and they know their stuff. The problem I had is so many know so much and so much of the info is different.  I picked the type of smoking I want to do first and I am focusing on that alone. I'm taking baby steps, Now it's jerky.  I bought the Masterbuilt 20072115 because it was a fair smoker for the price and I didn't want to invest a lot until I knew I would enjoy this hobby.

I don't have many suggestions but I wanted to share my thought process when I decided to buy my smoker.

I fill a medium sized ss pan with pea gravel and keep it on bottom of smoker. I find it keeps my temps stable and easier to regain after opening door etc.

The fact that there are so many different ways of doing any one thing is what makes life interesting, smoking techniques and equipment preferences is no different. Smoking started out years ago to be real simple out of necessity and became complicated as new equipment and techniques were introduced to streamline the process. However the basic idea is still the same, to smoke cook tuff cuts of meat to juicy tenderness, but the ways to accomplish that have become many to choose from.
I started out with what I could afford about 15 or 20 years ago. An all in one $59.00 gas bullit that I modified a bit and turned out some really good smokes on, until it craped out on me a few years ago.
Even though I turned out good smoked meats I also turned out some failures until I joind the Forms about 3 years ago and learned how to be consistent. I have New equipment now a 22.5" WSM with a temp controller and a MES 2.5 gen 40" I would love to have a big stick burner, but don't have room for one. I am thinking about another gas smoker because of the bacon taste I always got from my old all in one built smoker because of the gas, water, and wood mixture. All 4 that I just mentioned operate a little different and produce a little different flavor, but they all do the same thing, they smoke food. Knowing what I know now I would do the same thing all over again if I was just starting out. Buy what is in the budget or something inexpensive but dependable if I wasn't sure I would like smoking. The easiest to master is the MES, if you go that way I would sugest the MES gen 2.5 40" because it's dependable and you can put full rib racks in it and a full packer brisket. And then I would suggest staying in touch with Bear who is the MES guru of the Forms. Oh! And if you decide you don't care for smoking, just advertise on the Forms that you have a MES gen 2.5 40" for sale and it will be gone in no time.

Randy,

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky