Masterbuilt smoker not producing smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Instead of drilling holes I just bought the A-MAZ-N Pellet SMOKER. It produces the perfect amount of smoke and everything that comes out of my smoker now is excellent! 

so the [color= rgb(24, 24, 24)]A-MAZ-N Pellet SMOKER just replaces the woodchip pan in this model?  Cause i did try using tin foil as a chip pan and it seemed to work...just had to turn the unit on medium then reduce it back to low once the smoke started coming out.  Everyone on here seems to recommend the [/color][color= rgb(24, 24, 24)]A-MAZ-N Pellet SMOKER so i may just have to order 1...  just so im sure is this what you bought? :[/color]

Yep, thats the one i bought. I bought it straight from the original website cause it came with 1lb of pellets for free. 

thanks brother....guess thats what im going to do as well...otherwise this smoker is just an oversized oven...and  thanks for the tip about buying it from their site as well..

I have the same exact smoker, and am also a newbie to smoking.  Only smoked a few things so far, and smoked at 220 each time and I've had  good smoke each time.  The picture you have of the dish looks like mine, however my chip tray has a lid on it.  I'm not sure if the lid on it makes the temp rise enough to cause the smoke, but It is on during the smoking.  My chip tray is not directly on the heating element either.  I do soak the chips for about a half hour and (following the manual) only put in a cup at a time.  

Flip

Thanks guys for your chat,1st time smoking & I have this smoker, directions it came with were sparse. I'm smoking baby backs now they been on for 30 min. I'm going to take the lid off

the chip box, no smoke yet, I'll see if that works.

Just bought the same smoker and am haveing the same issues.  I would like to buy the pellet smoker (we had a treager so plenty of left over pellets) can you post a pic of what it looks like in the unit

Just bought the same smoker and am haveing the same issues. I would like to buy the pellet smoker (we had a treager so plenty of left over pellets) can you post a pic of what it looks like in the unit
Here's what my AMNPS looks like in my MES 40 (Bottom left on the bars):

Picture removed, because somehow the wrong pic got there around the time of the SMF Platform change.

Bear

Last edited:
My AMNPS works well in my MES 30 Gen 1. In fact, just used it yesterday when I smoked 3 racks of St. Louis ribs. When I first got the AMNPS I used to tent it with foil. Then I realized that the water pan is so big it easily protects just about the entire tray. But remember that I have a 30-inch smoker, not the 40-inch.

I'm a newbie to smoking and was having the same problem. My fix was to put the chip right on the element. Works fine now.

Huge Thank you to the person who recommended using a couple of lumps of charcoal in the chip tray!!!
I bought a propane torch and borrowed a couple of lumps of charcoal from my neighbor. Grabbed the charcoal with a pair of metal tongs and put the torch to them for about a minute each and then dropped them into the chip tray. The smoker was already preheated and set to 250 degrees.
I opened the vent all the way.
Added a 1/2 cup of dry wood chips and within 5 minutes had smoke blowing out the vent 4 feet high! I choked it down to 1/2 open and it still smoked like a chimney!
The two lumps of charcoal lasted for the whole 4 hours I was smoking.
------ A couple of notes. ----------
You have to add news chips every 15 - 30 minutes depending on how you have the vents set.
After one hour, I lowered the temp to 220 and the smoke continued to pump out the vent.
During the final smoke, I discovered a new trick that worked awesome.
I opened the shoot where you add chips pulling it out about an inch and turned it up side down to allow oxygen to get into the chip tray, then I closed the vent on top down all the way. The smoke continued to billow out!
Flavors were fantastic.
There was no loss in how the smoker performed.
Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezie fix to make the Masterbuilt Electric Smoker Smoke like Cheech and Chong!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky