Masterbuilt Smoker No Power

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Noah

Original poster
Nov 1, 2018
Frisco Colorado
Good morning all,

I have a MB Model 20070215 and this past weekend I turned it on to smoke some salmon filets and when I came back to see if it was up to temp it was off. I reached out to MB and they think it is the power circuit board kit which is why I am not getting power. I looked for a replacement and it doesnt look like you can get that part for my smoker any longer so I was wondering if someone might help me out in getting it back up and running?

I took the element and everything else apart and I am not sure where to start. If someone can lead me in the right direction that would be wonderful

Thank you!

lol, normanaj, you beat me to it.
welcome to the forum from Minnesota, Noah. yes tallbm is an expert on the mes and he will probably be mentioning an option to you to bypass the mes control and installing a pid controller, which will make your unit much better!

Heres the link. Read over it and see if its something you want to try.

Jim

Reactions: negolien and tallbm
You can also replace the control system fairly easily. If you are handy at electronics and want to make your own controller system, hit me up. I can get you going with that.

JC :emoji_cat:

Reactions: negolien and tallbm
Good morning all,

I have a MB Model 20070215 and this past weekend I turned it on to smoke some salmon filets and when I came back to see if it was up to temp it was off. I reached out to MB and they think it is the power circuit board kit which is why I am not getting power. I looked for a replacement and it doesnt look like you can get that part for my smoker any longer so I was wondering if someone might help me out in getting it back up and running?

I took the element and everything else apart and I am not sure where to start. If someone can lead me in the right direction that would be wonderful

Thank you!
Hi there and welcome!

So just to confirm. The controller on the the top will NOT turn on or show lights or activity any form or fashion?

The top controller dies way more often than the power circuit board.

There is an option to turn your smoker into an absolute beast and it cost less than buying a new smoker AND it will perform better than any smoker you can buy for less than $900 or so.

If you want to go that route we can talk about it. Modifying it for that performance alone is enough justification to do it but if we can get your smoker going as is then you can be up and running anyhow :)

I just did the conversion to PID controller last week and all I can say is its well worth it. In my case with the model MES I have the "rewire" job was as simple as plugging one wire harness into another and done.

Reactions: tallbm and JC in GB
Hi there and welcome!

So just to confirm. The controller on the the top will NOT turn on or show lights or activity any form or fashion?

The top controller dies way more often than the power circuit board.

There is an option to turn your smoker into an absolute beast and it cost less than buying a new smoker AND it will perform better than any smoker you can buy for less than $900 or so.

If you want to go that route we can talk about it. Modifying it for that performance alone is enough justification to do it but if we can get your smoker going as is then you can be up and running anyhow :)
Good afternoon Tallbm,

Here is events that took place. I plugged in the smoker turned on the power set the desired temp and walked about to prepare the meat. I came back to see if the temperature had reached the desired temperature and noticed that the whole machine was off.

I checked the plug and the circuit and all were functioning so something with the machine. I started searching for such problem solveing but most of what I found was on the the heating element. I took apart the heating element and did not see anything blown but the connections looked bad so I was just going to replace the heating element and connections.
Before ordering a new heating element I contacted MB and they obviously are not technicians however the one question I had asked was if the heating element was bad if the machine would still power on. They said it sounded like the control pannel to be the problem in which I cannot find that part.

Anyway I have the smoker apart and am tryin to figure out what my next steps are as they no longer made the display and or power circuit board for my models smoker

Let me know your thoughts. I am certainly interested in getting my smoker back up and working so I am open for suggestions!

When my Masterbuilt went out on me, I simply attached a new power cord directly to the element and then plugged the other end of the power cord to the PID. Never looked back.

Reactions: tallbm
Good afternoon Tallbm,

Here is events that took place. I plugged in the smoker turned on the power set the desired temp and walked about to prepare the meat. I came back to see if the temperature had reached the desired temperature and noticed that the whole machine was off.

I checked the plug and the circuit and all were functioning so something with the machine. I started searching for such problem solveing but most of what I found was on the the heating element. I took apart the heating element and did not see anything blown but the connections looked bad so I was just going to replace the heating element and connections.
Before ordering a new heating element I contacted MB and they obviously are not technicians however the one question I had asked was if the heating element was bad if the machine would still power on. They said it sounded like the control pannel to be the problem in which I cannot find that part.

Anyway I have the smoker apart and am tryin to figure out what my next steps are as they no longer made the display and or power circuit board for my models smoker

Let me know your thoughts. I am certainly interested in getting my smoker back up and working so I am open for suggestions!

I don't think a failed element connection will keep the top controller from running, it simply wont heat up.

One simple thing to check. If your controller will still turn on, check and make sure you have a Time value above 0. This confusing thing can happen and the smoker stop, but would NOT keep it from powering on.

Yeah go ahead and replace those connectors at the heating element, masterbuilt uses crappy ones. These hi temp ones will get the job done if you dont have any hi temp ones:

It is rare that the element itself is failing and still doesnt explain the top controller not running.

Check that time thing for me if it does happen to turn on. Get those connectors replaced and we can talk doing the simple rewire (cut ends off 4 wires and wire nut to make 2 wires) and using a PID controller and that will solve your problem for sure.

JC in GB JC in GB makes some PID controllers as well and might be an option for you, if that doesnt work out then Auber PID controllers are tried and trust controllers that will get work.

A PID controller will hit the temp you set and hold right on or within 1-2 degrees of it no problem. They make the MES a beast and 100x better than it ever was or could be :)

Reactions: normanaj
Good afternoon Tallbm,

If you already have it all apart, it would be quite easy to replace the faulty element and install your own controller.

Here is a pic of my Black Cat 2 controller. I use my Black Cat 1 controller on my Masterbuilt smoker and it works quite well.

The Black Cat 2 uses a beefy 700V 40 A triac for AC power switching. All parts are easily replaceable except the main chassis.

Also, the Black Cat controllers are user configurable. For instance, I live in Wisconsin so some times temps drop below the working range of the PID controller. In this case, I added an auto switching thermostat and a resistive heater to the chassis so it will operate in sub-zero temps.

The drawback is there is no bluetooth or cell phone features for these controllers. Anyway, just a thought if you are interested in going that direction in your repair efforts.

Attachments

• Black Cat 2 front.jpg
    Black Cat 2 front.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Black Cat 2 rear.jpg
    Black Cat 2 rear.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 17
Reactions: normanaj and tallbm
Good morning Tallbm and JC in GB,

So tallbm, there is not power what so ever to anything. I was only going on what I was reading and watching on yourtube as possible fixes. I am assuming if no power then its shot.

If I can use the body of the smoker and set something up to be better then what it once was I am all for that!!! however you are going to have to bare with my electronic inexperience!

JC in GB, I too am originally from Wisconsin however moved to the mountains in Colorado. My family still lives about 25 minutes from GB. I guess the question remains for both tallbm and JC in GB what is the best way to go regarding setting up the smoker body that I have with either a PID or a BlackCat controller???

My machine allowed for me to use bluetooth as I never used it as I have always used a fireboard thermometer which had bluetooth.

Anyway I am going to replace those connectors order a new heating element just so that it is brand new, clean up the machine and I will await either of your thoughts on next steps. Again I am inexperienced when it comes to multimeters and such however I would like to make the body of the smoker the best it can be. Let me know your thoughts. tallbm and JC is bluethook something you would recomend in a PID controller or to got with something better that is outthere??? I am completly open to making the best that it can be of course depending on costs as the machine is currently all apart... Thanks again for the help!

Reactions: JC in GB
I don't use Bluetooth on my controller but some folks like tracking the cook start to finish.

I can send you information on the controller of you like.

It is pretty easy. Just attach the cord to the spade lugs on the heating element then plug it into the outlet in the back of the controller.

I don't use Bluetooth on my controller but some folks like tracking the cook start to finish.

I can send you information on the controller of you like.

It is pretty easy. Just attach the cord to the spade lugs on the heating element then plug it into the outlet in the back of the controller.

Yes please do!

Good morning Tallbm and JC in GB,

So tallbm, there is not power what so ever to anything. I was only going on what I was reading and watching on yourtube as possible fixes. I am assuming if no power then its shot.

If I can use the body of the smoker and set something up to be better then what it once was I am all for that!!! however you are going to have to bare with my electronic inexperience!

JC in GB, I too am originally from Wisconsin however moved to the mountains in Colorado. My family still lives about 25 minutes from GB. I guess the question remains for both tallbm and JC in GB what is the best way to go regarding setting up the smoker body that I have with either a PID or a BlackCat controller???

My machine allowed for me to use bluetooth as I never used it as I have always used a fireboard thermometer which had bluetooth.

Anyway I am going to replace those connectors order a new heating element just so that it is brand new, clean up the machine and I will await either of your thoughts on next steps. Again I am inexperienced when it comes to multimeters and such however I would like to make the body of the smoker the best it can be. Let me know your thoughts. tallbm and JC is bluethook something you would recomend in a PID controller or to got with something better that is outthere??? I am completly open to making the best that it can be of course depending on costs as the machine is currently all apart... Thanks again for the help!

Seems like JC has you covered.

You can attack a cord and put a cord relief, etc, etc, or you can do the simple rewire which makes the existing MES cord feed power to the heating element while leaving the safety switch in the mix.

It's really simple. You just cut the ends off 4 wires and wirenut together to make 2 whole wires. Then at that poitn the existing power cord will feed power to the heating element... once you hook that back up :)

You can read about the simple rewire here.

Once you have your cord feeding power to the heating element you simply put that plug into the back outlet of a PID controller.
You plug the PID controller into the wall so it feeds power to the heating element.
You hook the PID temp probe to the bottom of the lowest smoker rack and enter the temp you want. The PID controller will then cut power on/off to the MES until it hits and holds the set temp.

That's how it works. They almost always hold dead on or like 1-2 degrees from what you want.

PID controllers turn your MES into a Ferrari when it used to be a golf cart :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky