Masterbuilt Slow Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nawlinsborn73

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 21, 2020
I have an MES 140G and ordered the Slow Smoker attachment. Has anyone done the mod similar to the mailbox mod using the attachment? Using flexible ducting? If so, does anyone have a step by step tutorial with pictures?

Thanks in advance

I have an MES 40 Gen 1. I've been using the Slow Smoker attachment directly attached into the chip feeder opening with the tube removed for years. I run it with the top vent all the way open, and have removed the chip drawer to allow more air flow. It generates too much smoke sometimes, so I hooked up a dimmer switch to regulate how much smoke it puts out. Got all of the info from this forum, which is invaluable.

There is someone here that did a mailbox style mod using the cold smoker attachment just can't remember who.Hopefully they'll see this and chime in.

I have an MES 40 Gen 1. I've been using the Slow Smoker attachment directly attached into the chip feeder opening with the tube removed for years. I run it with the top vent all the way open, and have removed the chip drawer to allow more air flow. It generates too much smoke sometimes, so I hooked up a dimmer switch to regulate how much smoke it puts out. Got all of the info from this forum, which is invaluable.
Can you point me in the direction for the dimmer switch mod?

I got it from Harbor Freight. It's a router speed control.
1599562735654.png

item 43060 router speed control. drillmaster brand from Harbor Freight.

$29.99

Attachments

• 1599562794300.png
    1599562794300.png
    62.6 KB · Views: 20
When I used mine I would start the controller at full "speed" then when the chips were smoking I'd turn it down about half way. That kept the chips smoldering without burning through them too quickly. (Since I went to the AMAZEN tray and mailbox mod I haven't used the slow smoker.)

Reactions: MJB05615
When I used mine I would start the controller at full "speed" then when the chips were smoking I'd turn it down about half way. That kept the chips smoldering without burning through them too quickly. (Since I went to the AMAZEN tray and mailbox mod I haven't used the slow smoker.)
Thanks. I was going to ask about what setting is best and you answered it before I could ask. Much appreciated!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky