Masterbuilt Propane Smoker - need parts

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Check the diameter of the ring if I remember correctly mine was 7" round so check before buying pipe.

Warren

I measured it at 7" round. So I'll buy the 7" round duct pipe, and if it's a touch too tight, I'll just cut a small slit in it and force it over the remaining lip in the smoker box.

So my first attempt is going to be to buy the following from Home Depot, and cut a section 1.5" high from it.

View attachment 476570

I'll also drill some vent holes in it, then place it over the burner and put the chip pan on top of it. Not sure how long it will last, but with a 5 foot pipe, I should be able to get a lot of rings out of this. We shall see !!
The stuff is sold as a flat sheet that you roll up and stick one end in another to form the "seam". The flatness will make it easy to shear to 1.5" height. But there's not a lot of overlap at the seam See if you think the joint you'll get will hang together. If not, get the 8" dia and just overlap the edges and use a sheet metal screw or rivet where they come together
I use a lot of this flat duct pipe...it's cheap sheet metal. And you can make lots of different diameters by piecing together various sizes.

Reactions: beparrish
So here is what I did. I bought a piece of 28 gauge galvanized sheet metal (24" x 36") from Home Depot, and cut a 1.5" strip from it. I made a circle 7" in diameter, and fastened the overlap using pop rivets. I then drilled some ventilation holes in the ring. Below is the finished product:

IMG_4481.jpg

IMG_4482.jpg

The chip bowl set on it correctly, so it looks like it's ready to go.

I'm not sure how long this will last, but it was easy to construct and I have plenty of leftover material for replacement rings.

The only other thing that I may need to do is to enlarge the ventilation holes. I'll find that out the next time I smoke something.

Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions !

Nice ring job. Glad to see you have been able bring the smoker back to life. Unless the chip tray seals up the top of the ring that much, I can't imagine having to enlarge the existing holes. But then again, it's been awhile since I have looked at my set up.

I'm sure you are going to hear about using galvanized metal. But I think ones you fire that smoker for while it should be fine. That is with no food in it.

Warren

...only other thing that I may need to do is to enlarge the ventilation holes...
I'd just double or triple the number you already have. That's the same as enlarging the existing holes 41 or 73%.
Large holes in thin metal, esp when close to edges, have a way of going awry. (Unless you have Greenlee panel punches.)

I'm sure you are going to hear about using galvanized metal. But I think ones you fire that smoker for while it should be fine. That is with no food in it.

Warren

Thanks - I didn't realize that there could be an issue using galvanized metal. I'll fire it up tomorrow and let it burn for several hours.

Reactions: HalfSmoked
Guys, would it be acceptable if I were to spray paint the galvanized metal ring with a high heat grill paint ?? I figure that would be easier than buying more metal and fabricating another ring.

TIA !!

Did you use steel pop rivets? Being that close to the fire I imagine that would soften aluminum up quite a bit.

My brother did the pop-riveting, so I'll need to ask him. Knowing my luck with this project, he probably used aluminum. LOL

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky