Masterbuilt moel numbers?!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Squirreljester

Original poster
Jan 29, 2018
To start with, hello, I'm new here, and I'd say I'm still a beginner smoker. I bought a firebox for my Chargriller grill 2 years ago, and I've probably smoked 8 racks of ribs and 2 briskets with it. I don't like constantly tending my fire and I can never get the heat to hold near the temps I want, it always swings wildly. I've tried some of the mods from online like I put 2 extra thermostats i the lid down near the racks, and I put a bunch of that high temp sealing foam around the lid and firebox, but I just need something easier to run.

So, I'm in the market for a new smoker, and I was all settled on the Masterbuilt 20070910 as a simple first time electric smoker but then I started looking at some of the fancier ones like the 20075315 for the added convenience of remote timers/monitors. That one is $342 on Amazon right now.

I also looked on my local garage sale facebook groups I belong to, and someone is selling a new in box 20070215 which I can't even find on Amazon. What the heck do these model numbers mean?! They seem to make no sense or have any rhyme or reason to them, and I can't find anywhere online that explains them, not even Masterbuilt's site. Has anyone on here deciphered them and can let me know what to look for?

Glad to be here, I hope to learn a lot poking around this site, and thanks in advance for any assistance anyone can provide.

-Erik

There are three main Mes smokers in 30 and 40". Gen 1, 2 and 2.5. They have started hybrids,blending good features of the gen 1 and 2.5 and applying it to the less favorable gen 2. All the numbers may be a SS door on a black cabinet in 30" the another # in 40". Then two more different numbers for a window in each size and on and on but It'll most likely be one of the three main generations. Don't worry about numbers and look Bearcarver Bearcarver signature that describes the different generations. Start there first then find out size, window or not and color or SS. Most prefer the gen 1 or bluetooth gen 2.5.

I looked on his profile and some of his posts and I didn't see any signature anywhere.

I wanted to stick with the gen 1's, hence the 20070910 choice, but the new new ones are getting really good reviews, and I'd like one with more features. I think the bluetooth one you reference is the 20070215 that I found, it says bluetooth all over the box. Is that one better than the 20075315 one I referenced on Amazon? The one on Amazon was like $450 marked down to $350 (ish), and from what I've found of the 20070215 it started around $350.

I want to buy one I'm gonna be happy with going from beginner to intermediate and keeping for at least 5+ years. I thought I had, but these new ones with all the added features and what appears to be better designed water pans and drip trays are really making me think I should start with a better one.

Reactions: Proximo
Thanks for those writeups, very informative.

Instead of model numbers I'll put in links.

Am I to assume this one is a gen 2?

And this one is the bluetooth one from my garage sale site the person wants $275 for that I suspect is a gen 2.5.

I wouldn't go so much by Model Numbers. Some of them are even put on some smokers, just because of what store they're going to.

The important thing is to get the best Generation:
IMO the best one is the Gen #2.5.
Second Best is Gen #1.
Last is Gen #2.

Here's a lot of Info on all of them, except a couple Hybrids:
About Masterbuilt Electric Smokehouse (Digital)
Masterbuilt Smokers (Bear's Thoughts & Findings)
MES Generation Number Recognition Pictures & Pics (Digital Units)

Bear

Hello sir!

100% complete newb to smoking here. Always been a big griller, and recently decided to get a smoker (been wanting to get into smoking meats for awhile now). Haven't purchased one yet.

After researching, I decided to go with an electric. After deciding on electric, I decided to go with a Masterbuilt. Then, I luckily stumbled upon this forum which appears to be a fantastic resource. I read through the 2 threads you linked above, and WOW, thanks for posting and sharing all of that info. Great stuff.

So, I stumbled upon a Masterbuilt at the Bass Pro shop down the street from me, and I'm not sure which generation it is. There were no "out of the box" models on the floor to look at. The box itself states "Masterbuilt Sportsman Elite. Bluetooth 30-inch Digital Electric Smoker". There's a picture of the unit on the box, it appears to have 6 shelves.

My question is, is this the same 2.5 gen you gave a very strong endorsement to in your "Bear's Thoughts & Findings" thread?

I know your thread was about a 40 inch, but this one I saw at Bass Pro appears to be the same, just a 30 inch version.

I think the 30 inch will be sufficient for my needs (will usually only be making food for 3-5 people).

The price was marked at 349.99. Doesn't seem to be a particularly good price, but I guess that's the going rate for these things?

I think I spotted the 40 inch as well, but I think it was marked at 4 hundred-something, which is more than I'd like to spend as a complete newb, and I don't think 40 inches is a necessity for me.

Thoughts?

Sam's has the 40" Gen 2.5 bluetooth with window and stand at $329.00 and goes on sale perodically at $279.00. It's a great warming oven for the holidays or when ever to hold dishes of food when not smoking. Checkout Sam's if you have one nearby. You'll like not having to cut you brisket and ribs in half to fit them in a 30" Mes. I'm cooking for 1 or 2 most of the time and if your cooking for 3 to 5 the 40" will be best I think.

Last edited:
Hello sir!

100% complete newb to smoking here. Always been a big griller, and recently decided to get a smoker (been wanting to get into smoking meats for awhile now). Haven't purchased one yet.

After researching, I decided to go with an electric. After deciding on electric, I decided to go with a Masterbuilt. Then, I luckily stumbled upon this forum which appears to be a fantastic resource. I read through the 2 threads you linked above, and WOW, thanks for posting and sharing all of that info. Great stuff.

So, I stumbled upon a Masterbuilt at the Bass Pro shop down the street from me, and I'm not sure which generation it is. There were no "out of the box" models on the floor to look at. The box itself states "Masterbuilt Sportsman Elite. Bluetooth 30-inch Digital Electric Smoker". There's a picture of the unit on the box, it appears to have 6 shelves.

My question is, is this the same 2.5 gen you gave a very strong endorsement to in your "Bear's Thoughts & Findings" thread?

I know your thread was about a 40 inch, but this one I saw at Bass Pro appears to be the same, just a 30 inch version.

I think the 30 inch will be sufficient for my needs (will usually only be making food for 3-5 people).

The price was marked at 349.99. Doesn't seem to be a particularly good price, but I guess that's the going rate for these things?

I think I spotted the 40 inch as well, but I think it was marked at 4 hundred-something, which is more than I'd like to spend as a complete newb, and I don't think 40 inches is a necessity for me.

Thoughts?

If it's Bluetooth, it should be a Gen #2.5.
However that's an awful lot of $$$ for an MES30.
I agree with "Kurt---Dr K" (above) that you should be able to find a Gen #2.5 MES 40 for that amount of $$$.

And as for 3 to 5 people, I started with an MES 30, because it's just Me & Mrs Bear, but a year later I got an MES 40, because I didn't like cutting ribs or Briskets in half, and one time I made 10 pounds of Beef Sticks, and could only fit 7 pounds in the MES 30.

Bear

71G50pAJltL._SL1500_.jpg

okay, so this would be a gen what? its got the large oval water pan, the vent is on the top, but it is not blue tooth its a rf remote. is this a decent deal from amazon for this model or am i missing something? Amazon wants $335 for this one.

also, what kind of real world range can a person expect from the Gen2.5 MES blue tooth stuff? its about 120' from my house to the garage that this will be used in, can I expect a signal or would that just be a wasted feature for me?

another question, some have 6 racks, some have 4 racks, for those with only 4... how often do you wish you had more racks? I really cant see needing that many racks without overloading the machine from thermal mass. am i missing something here or are the extra racks just window dressing?

71G50pAJltL._SL1500_.jpg

okay, so this would be a gen what? its got the large oval water pan, the vent is on the top, but it is not blue tooth its a rf remote. is this a decent deal from amazon for this model or am i missing something? Amazon wants $335 for this one.
Gen 1 all stainless steel with window and rf remote. Way better range than the bluetooth. Academy has the bluetooth insides and top left vent which is better than this top right vent (since all heating elements are bottom right) and is rf but more expensive I believe than these prices. It's a hybrid so to speak.

Reactions: jimmyinsd
also, what kind of real world range can a person expect from the Gen2.5 MES blue tooth stuff? its about 120' from my house to the garage that this will be used in, can I expect a signal or would that just be a wasted feature for me?

another question, some have 6 racks, some have 4 racks, for those with only 4... how often do you wish you had more racks? I really cant see needing that many racks without overloading the machine from thermal mass. am i missing something here or are the extra racks just window dressing?

I'm a complete newb, but from what I've read it's not necessarily the # of racks that's important, but rather the overall difference in space between the 30 inch and 40 inch models.

Seems like if you decide to go 30 inch, you may have trouble fitting certain items inside of it and as a result end up needing to cut them to get them in (ribs, etc).

The 40 inch seems to erase that problem.

I'm a complete newb, but from what I've read it's not necessarily the # of racks that's important, but rather the overall difference in space between the 30 inch and 40 inch models.

Seems like if you decide to go 30 inch, you may have trouble fitting certain items inside of it and as a result end up needing to cut them to get them in (ribs, etc).

The 40 inch seems to erase that problem.

the 30 was never an option for me, I want to be able to do 10+ pound batches of sausage and looking in one I think 10 would be crowding it a bit. I have seen 40s with both options and was wondering for those with 4 racks how often they wished they had more, and for those with 6, how often they even use them all.

71G50pAJltL._SL1500_.jpg

That is a Generation #1, and it looks like a 40.
That seems a little high for the Gen #1, but if you can't find a Gen #2.5 for the same price, or less, I'd say it's worth it.
I think it should be less $$$/

Bear

the 30 was never an option for me, I want to be able to do 10+ pound batches of sausage and looking in one I think 10 would be crowding it a bit. I have seen 40s with both options and was wondering for those with 4 racks how often they wished they had more, and for those with 6, how often they even use them all.

I have a 4 rack MES 40, and a 6 rack MES 40.
If you make a lot of Jerky the 6 rack would be nice.
However since I don't make a lot of Jerky, the only advantage I have found with the 6 rack is that if I need more head space, with the 6 rack I can use rack #1, #3, and #5, or #1 and #4.
Or like when I double smoke Ham Portions, I can put the pan of basting fat on #1, the Ham on #3, and another Ham on #5.

With a 4 rack I can't do that. I kinda have to do one Ham Portion at a time.

This is what I mean:
Double Smoked Ham

Bear

Reactions: jimmyinsd
If it's Bluetooth, it should be a Gen #2.5.
However that's an awful lot of $$$ for an MES30.
I agree with "Kurt---Dr K" (above) that you should be able to find a Gen #2.5 MES 40 for that amount of $$$.

And as for 3 to 5 people, I started with an MES 30, because it's just Me & Mrs Bear, but a year later I got an MES 40, because I didn't like cutting ribs or Briskets in half, and one time I made 10 pounds of Beef Sticks, and could only fit 7 pounds in the MES 30.

Bear

I actually snapped a picture of the 30 inch at Bass Pro, which I failed to include in my previous post.

Is this the gen 2.5 with the good reviews?

Regarding the $$$, I searched around a bit online and can't really find any good deals in my area. I'm going to keep looking but may just bite the bullet and get this one (assuming it's a 2.5 and not a 2). I prefer not to order online for delivery so I'm definitely limiting my options a bit.

image.jpeg

Has to be maddening when the company cannot help. That is why Bear has been and continues to be so helpful in MES matters. I would just not have the patience.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky