masterbuilt model mb20076718 smoker not heating

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tdd3748

Original poster
Nov 17, 2013
I have a masterbuilt model mb20076718 smoker that is not heating.
I have replaced the heating element and the control panel and still no heat.
Is there something else I need to be checking?
I am not seeing any other access panels that I can remove and check.

Thanks to all who respond.

Tom D

I have a masterbuilt model mb20076718 smoker that is not heating.
I have replaced the heating element and the control panel and still no heat.
Is there something else I need to be checking?
I am not seeing any other access panels that I can remove and check.

Thanks to all who respond.

Tom D
Hi there and welcome!

I'd bet money that the safety limit rollout switch (overheat switch) is the problem.

It is the flat round quarter sized thing located here on the inside:
1637285907597-png-png.png

To get to it you will need to cut the sheet metal on the back of your smoker to make a panel (best option) or take the back off (which I do not recommend).

These switches melt down or the crappy female spade wire connectors corrode away. MES uses the least durable connectors possible, it seems.

Open it up and should you find the connectors or the switch to be an issue you can simply remove the wires from the switch and wire-nut the wires ends together for the time being to be back up and running but WARNING the overheat safety switch is no longer in the mix.

To replace the switch get this exact switch. There are others that look like it but are not going to work. There are 2 different designs and though you think you found a cheaper one you likely have found the design that wont work, plus these are ceramic and may not melt down as fast as the plastic back switches:

These high temp connectors will get the job done and I recommend you replace the existing connectors at the safety rollout limit switch AND the heating element with these:

Dig into the back where that switch is located (it's inside a housing) and let us know what you find.

Let us know if this makes sense and ask any questions you may have :)

Tank You TallBM
I will dig into this once I get the parts in hand.
so irritated with not being able to smoke the last few weeks.

Thanks Again
Tom D

Reactions: tallbm
Hi there and welcome!

I'd bet money that the safety limit rollout switch (overheat switch) is the problem.

It is the flat round quarter sized thing located here on the inside:
View attachment 655838

To get to it you will need to cut the sheet metal on the back of your smoker to make a panel (best option) or take the back off (which I do not recommend).

These switches melt down or the crappy female spade wire connectors corrode away. MES uses the least durable connectors possible, it seems.

Open it up and should you find the connectors or the switch to be an issue you can simply remove the wires from the switch and wire-nut the wires ends together for the time being to be back up and running but WARNING the overheat safety switch is no longer in the mix.

To replace the switch get this exact switch. There are others that look like it but are not going to work. There are 2 different designs and though you think you found a cheaper one you likely have found the design that wont work, plus these are ceramic and may not melt down as fast as the plastic back switches:

These high temp connectors will get the job done and I recommend you replace the existing connectors at the safety rollout limit switch AND the heating element with these:

Dig into the back where that switch is located (it's inside a housing) and let us know what you find.

Let us know if this makes sense and ask any questions you may have :)
The temp switch is only listed to go to 250 (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...8&redirect=true&th=1&tag=smokingmeatforums-20). The smoker max temp is 275 so seems like that should be the safety switch needed or maybe 300 as a buffer.
Am I missing something here?

The temp switch is only listed to go to 250 (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...8&redirect=true&th=1&tag=smokingmeatforums-20). The smoker max temp is 275 so seems like that should be the safety switch needed or maybe 300 as a buffer.
Am I missing something here?
I THINK those in the like I provided before are 150 Celsius and up however just to be safe this one clearly states 155C which is 311F and good to go :)

Thanks for bringing up the question and this should surely keep you on the right track with no ambiguity :)

I THINK those in the like I provided before are 150 Celsius and up however just to be safe this one clearly states 155C which is 311F and good to go :)

Thanks for bringing up the question and this should surely keep you on the right track with no ambiguity :)
Thank You - order placed will post once I have them and get on installed.

Tom

Thank You - order placed will post once I have them and get on installed.

Tom
Well I am finally getting back to this.
Replaced the heat sensor and all is good.
Thank You to all who replied.

Tom

Well I am finally getting back to this.
Replaced the heat sensor and all is good.
Thank You to all who replied.

Tom
Nice, and congrats on being up and running again!
Those safety limit rollout switches are a major area of failure. If it fails and you need to complete a smoke or start one, you can simply undo the wires and wire nut the ends together but WARNING that is removing the failed safety switch from the mix.

Just good info to have on hand :)

Nice, and congrats on being up and running again!
Those safety limit rollout switches are a major area of failure. If it fails and you need to complete a smoke or start one, you can simply undo the wires and wire nut the ends together but WARNING that is removing the failed safety switch from the mix.

Just good info to have on hand :)
Yeah that is what I did before the new sensors arrived. Thanks again for the info.

Tom

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky