• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Masterbuilt Model 20070910 Thermostat

burninlove

Joined Jan 4, 2021
Hello.

A pretty much newbie (only smoked 5 or so times), but have a question about the thermostat on my Model 20070910 9solid back door, no glass door). Anway, have had it 5 years, but never used it much. Trying to use it more now. Here's my question. Whenever I start it up and set the temperature and timer, all seems to work fine. I know the booklet says it has a max temp of 275 degrees. However, no matter what temperature I set it to, it always climbs to 300 degrees on the display. Now is that really the temperature or is it really going to 300 degrees? This unit has no temperature monitor built in that I can read - only the digital readout. Is the unit temperature readout supposed to eventually arrive at the temperature I program it to (and STAY THERE) or is it normal that the smoker actually goes to 300 on the readout - even if it the temperature inside is what I set it to. I thought the thermostat was not working so I ordered a new one and hooked it up just now and it responds exactly as the unit I just replaced. So are these readouts misleading in that they always go to 300 regardless of what I set it to or should the thermostat STOP at what I set the max temp to and stay at that temperature? I had no luck ordering the replacement from Masterbuilt as it is the only component for this model that is not available for reorder! And, of course, I cannot contact them as this is no longer under warranty and they answer phones! I just want to know if this unit works correctly or if I have a lemon. I never have faith to follow recipes as I cannot tell if I can get the unit to use the temperature the recipe calls for or if it will always try to smoke the meat at the same maximum temperature. Thanks for any help, folks.

jkc64

Meat Mopper
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 7, 2011
Have you used a stand alone temp probe to verify the temp of the smoker? Or are you only going off the display?

GaryHibbert

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 20, 2013
Good morning.
There is one very important thing to understand about a MES--the temp gauges are junk. I've yet to see one that is anywhere close to accurate. My advice to you is not to waste your money replacing any of the therms on a MES. Rather, you're much better off purchasing a two probe remote digital thermometer. There are lots on the market, and they range from very inexpensive to "how much???". I use a Smoke therm--pricey, but very accurate.
With a 2 probe, you use one for the cook chamber temp and one as a meat probe. Boil test both probes so you know for sure that they're accurate. Then you just adjust your temp setting on the MES controller to match the remote.
An inexpensive instant read therm is a great addition.
Hope this helps.
Gary

burninlove

Joined Jan 4, 2021
Have you used a stand alone temp probe to verify the temp of the smoker? Or are you only going off the display?
Hello, Meat Mopper! Thank you for the reply! I appreciate it. I do not have a stand alone temp probe to verify the temp of the smoker. Was hoping the thermostat reading was correct. So I am only going off the display?.

burninlove

Joined Jan 4, 2021
Good morning.
There is one very important thing to understand about a MES--the temp gauges are junk. I've yet to see one that is anywhere close to accurate. My advice to you is not to waste your money replacing any of the therms on a MES. Rather, you're much better off purchasing a two probe remote digital thermometer. There are lots on the market, and they range from very inexpensive to "how much???". I use a Smoke therm--pricey, but very accurate.
With a 2 probe, you use one for the cook chamber temp and one as a meat probe. Boil test both probes so you know for sure that they're accurate. Then you just adjust your temp setting on the MES controller to match the remote.
An inexpensive instant read therm is a great addition.
Hope this helps.
Gary
Hello, Gary! Thank you for the time and energy of a reply. I think I'll agree the temp gauges are junk after having tried two now. So, I'll look into this 2 probe remote digital thermometer you mention. I haven't looked yet, but I guess it goes inside the smoker as you seem to indicate. Thank you for the idea. But here's a follow-up question. Should I TRUST this thermostat to at least get my unit to the temp I need for cooking when I first punch it in or no? If I cannot trust the thermostat to set the initial temp (regardless of what it reports), how would I be able to control any temp -even with the probes reporting correctly? A second question is do I kill much of the overall cooking process somewhat by the fact that I'd have to keep opening the unit to check the temps on the 2 probes of the thermometer? Not sure how often I would want to open it, but guess I'd come up with some methodology. Thanks again.

Matt

jkc64

Meat Mopper
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 7, 2011
If you go to the electric smokers forum you will find more articles about the MES smokers than you can stand. Most everyone uses a wireless meat thermometer to keep track of their smoker temp and meat temp. You can sit in the house and monitor the temps and only go out to the smoker if an adjustment needs to be made.

tallbm

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 30, 2016
Hello, Gary! Thank you for the time and energy of a reply. I think I'll agree the temp gauges are junk after having tried two now. So, I'll look into this 2 probe remote digital thermometer you mention. I haven't looked yet, but I guess it goes inside the smoker as you seem to indicate. Thank you for the idea. But here's a follow-up question. Should I TRUST this thermostat to at least get my unit to the temp I need for cooking when I first punch it in or no? If I cannot trust the thermostat to set the initial temp (regardless of what it reports), how would I be able to control any temp -even with the probes reporting correctly? A second question is do I kill much of the overall cooking process somewhat by the fact that I'd have to keep opening the unit to check the temps on the 2 probes of the thermometer? Not sure how often I would want to open it, but guess I'd come up with some methodology. Thanks again.

Matt
Hi there and welcome!

All of us electric guys use digital wireless thermometers because MES temp probes are always wrong.
You were given a great suggestion to get a dual probe version. You need a minimum of 2 probes but I will easily advocate for a 4-6 probe version as well as all those probes are super helpful to use!

So the way it works is that the thermometers come in 2 parts.
Part1: The broadcaster unit - has the temp probes that you drop down the smoker vent or just close the door on the probe wires. The probes will be in the smoker and the meat and will report to the broadcaster. You can see the temps on the broad caster AND as it's name suggest it broadcasts the temps to the hand held monitor.

Part2: The hand held controller/monitor unit - this part receives the broadcasted temps from the broadcast unit. You take this part inside with you. It also allows you to set alarms and timers and other settings for each probe that the broadcaster is running.

So you leave the broadcaster outside with probes in the smoker measuring smoker temp and probes in the meat measuring meat temp.
You take the hand held monitor unit inside with you and you set temp alarms on the meat probes to tell you when meat is ready or when to test if the meat is tender. You can set temp alarms on the smoker probes to tell you if you go over a temperature (like a flame up has happened) or if your go below a low temp (your smoker power cut off).

With the a remote thermometer you follow what the themometer says NOT what your MES control pannel says. So if your MES is reporting 300F and your themometer is showing 275F you know you are not at 300F. If you want to be smoking at 250F just lower the MES temp until the wireless thermometer reads 250F or so. That is how you will manage it.

Honestly if you have an MES hitting 300F you are super lucky because most of us are never able to hit max tem of 275F hahaha. You can always go down but you cannot make it go up :)

I hope this info helps :)

Murray

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Dec 30, 2018
Does the red indicator light on the smoker cycle on and off indicating that the heating element is turning on and off to maintain your set cooking temperature? Your smoker should act the same way as an electric range does. If for example you set the smoker to 100F and it climbs to 300F then you have internal electrical issues.

GaryHibbert

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 20, 2013

Matt
tallbm got here before me and has given you an extremely good answer to your questions. When he tells you something about a MES or a PID unit, you can take it to the bank. He has helped me out on several occasions and helped make my MES a great smoker.
Gary

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.