Featured Masterbuilt MB20077618 Analog Electric Smoker no vents?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kylaker

Original poster
Jul 24, 2021
Got a Masterbuilt MB20077618 Analog Electric Smoker with 2 Smoking Racks, 30 inch, Black for fathers day. Have smoked it it 4 times now but dont get a lot of smoke.Other smokers i have seen have vents in top and bottom should I put some in? Also last time I smoked I left lid off chip box seemed to smoke more. Any help would be appreciated !THANKS

What temps are you smoking at, not familiar with your smoker but maybe your smoker isnt cycling on enough to keep chips smoldering , are you soaking your chips if so I wouldn't. But if it was mine I think I would be drilling some holes in the top to let some heat out so it cycles on more and also to let smoke out to keep it fresh. Maybe someone with more knowledge will jump in.

Sounds like you have a smoker about the same as mine. I don't have much for vents except one in upper right corner of back wall, about the size of my little finger. But the door leaks alot of smoke also. Didn't take me long to stop using chip tray and get an amnps and also did the mailbox mod.

20210201_140735.jpg

The amnps gets filled with pellets and placed in mailbox. Also added the Auber pid, which is sitting on top of my smoker. Went from having 30 degree temp swings to keeping temps within 2 degrees. So a couple ideas to think of.

Ryan

Reactions: kylaker
What temps are you smoking at, not familiar with your smoker but maybe your smoker isnt cycling on enough to keep chips smoldering , are you soaking your chips if so I wouldn't. But if it was mine I think I would be drilling some holes in the top to let some heat out so it cycles on more and also to let smoke out to keep it fresh. Maybe someone with more knowledge will jump in.
225-275 not soaking chips,

Alot of us with electric smokers are just using the mailbox mod. It works great. And you can run the smoker at whatever temp you desire.

225-275 not soaking chips,
You should be getting smoke at those temps, is your smoke box close enough to the element, I'm a mailbox user also like the other guys mentioned, you should look into that but I think you'll still need vents to make a draft to pull the smoke in.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky