Masterbuilt low temp regulation

Discussion in 'Propane Smokers' started by tldga3, Nov 5, 2011.

1. I am having a hard time getting down to and regulating at low temps like 175 degF for venison jerkey

Bob

2. jsdspif

jsdspif Meat Mopper

I guess I haven't ran mine that low , I've kept it at 200 before . I guess maybe fill the water pan with sand or something that is dry but will absorb heat and then maybe turn it on an hour or 2 before you load it ? I'm sure someone will post on the subject . Does it do the higher temps ok ? Have you ever checked it's actual interior temp with a known accurate thermometer to see how close the display on the unit is . Mine's pretty close but I do hear people say theirs is off by maybe 20 degrees or so . It might also help if you have some sort of deflector in the back right corner over the heating element . It helps even out the temps inside the unit .

3. I have a thermometer that I purchased hanging in the damper and that is what I am going by for today.  I would like to mount two new tel-tru gauges and maybe a new damper or chimney/damper.

4. bluebombersfan

bluebombersfan Master of the Pit OTBS Member

What kind of masterbuilt is this?  I have an electric and have no problem keeping the temps low.  

5. mine is propane, the one BPS is selling for $179

I would imagine elec is easier to regulate at temps that low.

6. bluebombersfan

bluebombersfan Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Yeah the electric is pretty easy to maintain, Hopefully someone will chime in soon to help you out with your smoker. good luck and good smoking!!

7. eman

eman Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member

I think the mes gasser comes w/ a low pressure regulator . To gain better control of the flame you need to install a needle valve regulator.

only drawback i  can see to doing this is when you get such a small flame it is easier to have problems w/ the wind blowing out the flame.