Masterbuilt Gravity Fed 800 & 1050: can interior space be heated more efficiently for smaller meals?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I never empty the bin before a cook unless I am changing the type of chunks. I do however, vigorously shake the bottom grate to release any ash stock on top or it does not want to ignite.

I never empty the bin before a cook unless I am changing the type of chunks. I do however, vigorously shake the bottom grate to release any ash stock on top or it does not want to ignite.

I empty it because the chunks in the hopper that did not get completely burned, have been turned into charcoal.

Reactions: MikeyJ and clifish
whenever I see some rust/oxidation, I lightly clean and spray with cooking oil, esp if I have no concrete plans to use the cooker again for more than a few days.

Reactions: Saul D and MikeyJ
Kinda having the same size debate, only for a pellet grill. I had a Traeger 575 that I sold. I liked it, but needed room for the Chargriller 980. But have decided its really much bigger than I need, looking at going back to a pellet grill. Really like the ZGrills 7052B, about the same size as the Traeger I had. But Sams has the bigger model 11002B for much less. Pretty sure I'd be happier with the size of the smaller one, but not as happy with paying more for less grill :)

I put chunks in both the hopper and the ash bin.

I layer in the hopper, but only three or so layers. I try to put a chunk near the bottom that will provide smoke at the very start of the cook.

In the ash bin, I suspend chunks on a piece of expanded metal that's sitting on firebrick. This keeps them up out of the ash and they get enough air around them to flame. This produces stick burner type smoke. I keep feeding chunks every 30 minutes or so to the ash bin. These won't start producing smoke till well into the cook. It takes some time for enough embers to fall to get them going.

I like to empty the hopper before every cook by pulling out the charcoal grate and letting the coals drop into a bucket. Then I can reload the hopper with fresh chunks in the right place.

View attachment 664649
Where did you get the metal for the ash bin grate? I'd love to do this

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky