Masterbuilt Gravity 800

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I'm not sure you'll be able to fit 4 racks of ribs on the main cooking surface un less they're small. The upper shelves are the same length as the main cooking surface, with about half the depth.

Here's a pick of a large rack of spareribs (6.5 lbs) I cooked on the middle shelf:View attachment 492501

There's no way I could have gotten 4 of them on the cooking surface; probably 2, maybe 3.

Also, the last few cooks I've started using a small water pan on the right side of the main surface. It seems to help even out hot spots in the cooler. However, if you chose to use one, it would suck up cook space. You might want to lean towards the 1050.
I"ve never used one buy a rib rack would help with capacity. I have the 1050 and have never had to use the top rack. My vote would be for the 1050 unless you plan a lot of griddle time. And maybe add the https://lss-mods.square.site/produc...true&sa=false&sbp=false&q=false&category_id=3 if you decide you're missing out.
Thanks to you both. I think I will lean in the direction of the 1050. The price difference isn't a big deal, especially as my wife struggles to buy gifts for me. With my birthday next week and Father's day coming up, she's heavily encouraging me to pick one of these up as a combined gift to myself! She is wise, and I know when to act!

By the way, I have used rib racks in my WSM. I have two. It's the only way possible to fit six racks of ribs in a WSM. They are OK in a pinch but really not ideal. The ribs are quite close together and difficult to handle, and they're not laying flat so saucing while on the smoker is between impractical and impossible.

I think I'm unlikely to ever do four pork shoulders that I can think of, but I do 5-6 racks of ribs at least once a year for a combination memorial day celebration and my son's birthday with family in town. Having that real estate is important, so looks like 1050 is probably the ticket.

Quick thanks to all that helped here, I picked up a 1050 today and have assembled it and am about halfway through the burn in process. I checked out a display model yesterday at Home Depot and it was not as big as expected, so it was definitely the ticket over the 800.

I have some useful logistics and assembly info I will post tomorrow in a separate thread. I found it particularly difficult to find info on the size if the box the unassembled version ships in, so I emailed Masterbuilt and got that info. I will share that with the forum so people considering it in the future can make sure it’ll fit in their van or SUV.

Right now it’s beer:30.

Reactions: PPG1
There are after market mods that you can put into the 1050 to make it a griddle. LSS mods make them. if cost/space is not an issue, id go with the 1050 and get the mods.

There are after market mods that you can put into the 1050 to make it a griddle. LSS mods make them. if cost/space is not an issue, id go with the 1050 and get the mods.
LSS sells a "griddle" manifold mod/cover to direct heat straight up to the main cook surface, but they don't sell a griddle insert that replaces the main cooking grates. That's what I'd like to see at some point. I could buy any number of griddles, but they'd need to sit on top of the existing cook surface. Not the end of the world, but generally I'd prefer something a bit more purpose built.

A lot of companies, like Camp Chef , sell just a griddle top.as listed on their website. I have also looked into the mods but nothing yet. Blackstone may as well but not sure

The 800 is only available thru Walmart. It seems they might be sold out online, though there's a couple available at store in my area (Seattle).

Has Home Depot stopped stocking the series 800? They have it listed on their website but it is OOS.

Has Home Depot stopped stocking the series 800? They have it listed on their website but it is OOS.
Well, that's news to me. When the 800 first came out, it was my understanding that it was exclusively sold through Walmart. You couldn't even buy it through the Masterbuilt website. In fact, their website still doesn't show it available and the only retailer they list is still Walmart.

I never saw it on the Home Depot website until today. Perhaps the exclusive distribution through Walmart is going to end soon, and Home Depot will start selling them. Not sure.

The 800 model seems to be sold out online at Walmart, Home Depot and Masterbuilt and at my local brick and mortar stores. Is it worth the wait to have a griddle or opt for the 1050 model with more real estate? The 1050 is on sale at Home Depot for $729.

The 800 model seems to be sold out online at Walmart, Home Depot and Masterbuilt and at my local brick and mortar stores. Is it worth the wait to have a griddle or opt for the 1050 model with more real estate? The 1050 is on sale at Home Depot for $729.
Depends if your priority is cooking space or flexibility. I was weighing the 800/1050 decision last month and went to see the 1050 in person. I am glad I did, because it isn't as big as I had expected it to be. I do a couple of smokes a year for 10-12 adults, and wanted the real estate for ribs without using rib racks. The 1050 is big enough for me, but I don't think the 800 would be. It made the decision easy.

If you don't need the extra capacity the 1050 offers go with the 800 for the griddle, but try to see either the 1050 or 800 in person before you buy it. If you have only looked online and not yet in person I think you'll be surprised by the size in person. It looks bigger online.

Reactions: PPG1
Yep and depends on you plans for usage/ cooking style. Would I use the griddle ?
Probably but not NEAR as much as grilling or smoking. And I do have a Lodge cast iron griddle to use if needed in a pinch.
But very glad I picked the added room of the 1050 ! But that's me and cooking style.

Depends if your priority is cooking space or flexibility. I was weighing the 800/1050 decision last month and went to see the 1050 in person. I am glad I did, because it isn't as big as I had expected it to be. I do a couple of smokes a year for 10-12 adults, and wanted the real estate for ribs without using rib racks. The 1050 is big enough for me, but I don't think the 800 would be. It made the decision easy.

If you don't need the extra capacity the 1050 offers go with the 800 for the griddle, but try to see either the 1050 or 800 in person before you buy it. If you have only looked online and not yet in person I think you'll be surprised by the size in person. It looks bigger online.

I agree with you on going to a store to see a floor model. I went to Home Depot yesterday and saw the two models(560 and1050). The 560's cooking area looked dramatically smaller in person than online. As for the griddle, it is a nice to have but would only use it when family sleeps over which is seldom. Having more real estate for smoking would be a big plus. Thank you for your feedback.

Reactions: 912smoker
I definitely don't need anymore grills, but the Char Griller gravity fed is pretty intriguing. It looks somewhat better built than the Masterbuilt and is priced well. I don't see a griddle option though.

Interesting. Another few months and other companies will come out with their own version. Looking at the Char Griller, I see there is no place for a rotisserie. Other than that, it looks to be pretty solid competitor.

...Looking at the Char Griller, I see there is no place for a rotisserie...
Good point, but most rotisserie installations require a bit of improvisation anyway. I suspect someone will make it work.
If I were installing one in a Masterbuilt Gravity, I'd probably mount it a little lower than where the factory pop-out is located anyway.

Reactions: thunder_lizards
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky