Masterbuilt Electric Smoker Review after 4 years.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

realfloopyguy

Original poster
Mar 29, 2014
Florida
I bought this smoker over 4 years ago. Let me start the review by saying that I am very hard on equipment. Here are the conditions this smoker has lived in for the last 4+ years.

1) Outside every day, all seasons, no cover. Florida rain and sun.
2) Cleaned before use and left nasty in between generally, sprayed down with over cleaner and then rinsed out. Usually hosing down all the electronics inadvertently or maybe indifferently is the word here.
3) Used a lot. Used in 20 degrees, used in the rain, used for brisket, butts, fish, jerky, everything.

I've abused this smoker. I've treated it about as poorly as you can treat a smoker.

I've decided to replace it this year. It still works and probably has plenty of life left in it.

I've used the internal probe but I ended up with a wireless one even before the LCD screen started having issues.

I will definitely be buying another of the same exact smokers. Issues I've had with it during the ownership:

1)The LCD screen has stopped showing the whole of the number about 6 months ago. I still use it, I generally run butts at 275, so I just start it, set the temp by hitting temp and then down while guessing what it says and then the same with the timer. I could probably replace the controls and be perfectly happy but they are so cheap it isn't worth my time. I might wait til Christmas as I get 25% off of whatever I want to buy then.

2) The seals are dying on the door. It doesn't really cause it any issue but this is due to abuse and overuse more than anything. I wouldn't bother replacing them and they pretty much will last the lifetime of the smoker if you take any sort of care of it.

3) The door is cracking. I'm guessing this is from UV damage of the Florida sun. This makes no difference to me. It still holds heat perfectly fine.

Things I believe could be better:

1) Sealing of the lcd controller on top. It doesn't seem it would be too hard to make it waterproof and I make give it a try on the new one. I think simply coating it in epoxy or silicone would take care of this and make it so the screen wouldn't go bad on the new one. Fingernail polish would work too. Seems like Masterbuilt would put the 10 cents in that this would cost but everyone doesn't abuse their stuff as much as I do. I'll probably give a shot to finding an appropriate LCD panel to replace the one on the old one so I have a spare.

2) Handles on the sides of it to carry it since it doesn't have wheels and I'd imagine most people don't really leave it in place all the time. I'll probably just strap the new one on a cheap dolly though. It isn't heavy or anything.

3) How the wood chip box is set up. I think it would be much easier to clean as a single layer instead of the U shape that it is. It seems like it would work the same without the bottom piece but I could be wrong.

4) Analog controls. I'd rather just have an analog temp and timer control to be honest. It could still be a controller, but I'd just as soon have numbers and a dial instead of an LCD screen. I am considering tinkering with the old one when I replace it and seeing if I can build manual controls for it.

The only way I'd consider a different smoker at this point is if they made an analog one with all stainless inside and out. Good job Masterbuilt.

I saw what you are describing I believe on this board in the last 2 weeks. Although they said it was a digital, it did have a knob for temperature adjustments (that says rheostat to me), Its was in 5 degree increments, SS I believe inside and out. The controller was located below the door. Kind of a standard 40" set up with legs on the bottom. I couldn't tell you were I saw it though.

Reactions: realfloopyguy
Hey realfloopyguy,

Great review on MES! I share your praise of the box where MES really excels. Mine is a gen 2.5 and year and a half old. The box is perfect but the MES controller is the big downfall. MES has been very helpful and replaced it at no charge along with the element and the remote control twice. Not long ago I was so frustrated with the controller - or perhaps should I say "lack of controll" – I was considering getting out of smoking altogether!! I was getting huge temperature swings throughout the smoke! In no way was I getting “set and forget” which why I went to electric in first place. I saw the variances by using digital thermometers and using offset adjustments to MES, could get closer but took constant attention.

Thanks to Tallbm on here, he helped me convert to a PID Controller (about $150) and my smoker is truly “Set-And- Forget”!! Like a brand new smoker! I too would replace my MES but with another but only with a PID. It takes some minor rewiring and a bit of learning but worth it for me. I physically can’t be running back and forth into 100 degree Texas heat to do what the orig controller should be doing. Adding a smoke generator tube means eight hours of carefree smokes while my butt is in an easy chair and air conditioning.

The basic MES box has proved to be outstanding and I’d buy again.

Here is how I now protect mine…

David

Attachments

• Shed with base 600 tall  .jpg
    Shed with base 600 tall .jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 106
  • Doors Open  600 .jpg
    Doors Open 600 .jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 103
  • PID and Digitals  600 .jpg
    PID and Digitals 600 .jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 107
Reactions: Mathias
A quality cover is a good thing and will extend the life of your smoker substantially.

iCOVER makes an awesome cover for the MES.

I am never going to cover it. I might build some sort of box/roof or something for the new one I buy but I've never covered any grill. I'd have to clean it first and most of the time when I'm done cooking I just unplug it any go about life til the next time I use it. I actually have the cover I got with it and it is still wrapped up.

You could sell that rifle and buy a top of the line smoker of some sort. :D

I could buy a trailer mounted smoker for the what the rifle costs.:) Heck, I've got enough $ worth of ammo for that rifle to buy the top of the line Bradley or Traegar electric smoker and enough brisket and pork butts to keep me busy for a year or two. It is a Romanian PSL, worth around $2k. I've got about that much worth of ammo for it too.

I saw what you are describing I believe on this board in the last 2 weeks. Although they said it was a digital, it did have a knob for temperature adjustments (that says rheostat to me), Its was in 5 degree increments, SS I believe inside and out. The controller was located below the door. Kind of a standard 40" set up with legs on the bottom. I couldn't tell you were I saw it though.

I might have to look around a little harder before I pull the trigger on the new one.

Reactions: Mathias
Hey realfloopyguy,

Great review on MES! I share your praise of the box where MES really excels. Mine is a gen 2.5 and year and a half old. The box is perfect but the MES controller is the big downfall. MES has been very helpful and replaced it at no charge along with the element and the remote control twice. Not long ago I was so frustrated with the controller - or perhaps should I say "lack of controll" – I was considering getting out of smoking altogether!! I was getting huge temperature swings throughout the smoke! In no way was I getting “set and forget” which why I went to electric in first place. I saw the variances by using digital thermometers and using offset adjustments to MES, could get closer but took constant attention.

Thanks to Tallbm on here, he helped me convert to a PID Controller (about $150) and my smoker is truly “Set-And- Forget”!! Like a brand new smoker! I too would replace my MES but with another but only with a PID. It takes some minor rewiring and a bit of learning but worth it for me. I physically can’t be running back and forth into 100 degree Texas heat to do what the orig controller should be doing. Adding a smoke generator tube means eight hours of carefree smokes while my butt is in an easy chair and air conditioning.

The basic MES box has proved to be outstanding and I’d buy again.

Here is how I now protect mine…

David

I'd just make the PID controller removable and leave the box in the rain. I actually have one here at my house for beer making that I am not using that I think goes hot or cold for temperature controlling one of my old lagering boxes. More of a build your own style than what yours is I think. Did you bypass your controller altogether and run the PID straight to the heating element or something else?

I am never going to cover it. I might build some sort of box/roof or something for the new one I buy but I've never covered any grill. I'd have to clean it first and most of the time when I'm done cooking I just unplug it any go about life til the next time I use it. I actually have the cover I got with it and it is still wrapped up.

Ok.

Was just making a suggestion.

Ok.

Was just making a suggestion.
Sorry, I didn't mean to come off sounding rude. Rereading it, it does have a hint of harshness to it. Covering a grill, for me, is like covering a car. It would have to be pretty special to rate that sort of attention from me.

I bought this smoker over 4 years ago. Let me start the review by saying that I am very hard on equipment. Here are the conditions this smoker has lived in for the last 4+ years.

1) Outside every day, all seasons, no cover. Florida rain and sun.
2) Cleaned before use and left nasty in between generally, sprayed down with over cleaner and then rinsed out. Usually hosing down all the electronics inadvertently or maybe indifferently is the word here.
3) Used a lot. Used in 20 degrees, used in the rain, used for brisket, butts, fish, jerky, everything.

I've abused this smoker. I've treated it about as poorly as you can treat a smoker.

I've decided to replace it this year. It still works and probably has plenty of life left in it.

I've used the internal probe but I ended up with a wireless one even before the LCD screen started having issues.

I will definitely be buying another of the same exact smokers. Issues I've had with it during the ownership:

1)The LCD screen has stopped showing the whole of the number about 6 months ago. I still use it, I generally run butts at 275, so I just start it, set the temp by hitting temp and then down while guessing what it says and then the same with the timer. I could probably replace the controls and be perfectly happy but they are so cheap it isn't worth my time. I might wait til Christmas as I get 25% off of whatever I want to buy then.

2) The seals are dying on the door. It doesn't really cause it any issue but this is due to abuse and overuse more than anything. I wouldn't bother replacing them and they pretty much will last the lifetime of the smoker if you take any sort of care of it.

3) The door is cracking. I'm guessing this is from UV damage of the Florida sun. This makes no difference to me. It still holds heat perfectly fine.

Things I believe could be better:

1) Sealing of the lcd controller on top. It doesn't seem it would be too hard to make it waterproof and I make give it a try on the new one. I think simply coating it in epoxy or silicone would take care of this and make it so the screen wouldn't go bad on the new one. Fingernail polish would work too. Seems like Masterbuilt would put the 10 cents in that this would cost but everyone doesn't abuse their stuff as much as I do. I'll probably give a shot to finding an appropriate LCD panel to replace the one on the old one so I have a spare.

2) Handles on the sides of it to carry it since it doesn't have wheels and I'd imagine most people don't really leave it in place all the time. I'll probably just strap the new one on a cheap dolly though. It isn't heavy or anything.

3) How the wood chip box is set up. I think it would be much easier to clean as a single layer instead of the U shape that it is. It seems like it would work the same without the bottom piece but I could be wrong.

4) Analog controls. I'd rather just have an analog temp and timer control to be honest. It could still be a controller, but I'd just as soon have numbers and a dial instead of an LCD screen. I am considering tinkering with the old one when I replace it and seeing if I can build manual controls for it.

The only way I'd consider a different smoker at this point is if they made an analog one with all stainless inside and out. Good job Masterbuilt.

YES! Handles, lol. Only thing I’d change. I do use the cover, but I’m a lazy cleaner (it’s all seasoning to me..!) and I’ve only had it since Christmas, so not even a year. When I still lived in California I’d start my tri-tips on it for 2 hours and then finish on the grill. Now that I’m in Texas, I do briskets in it—and successfully so! Good review man!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky