Masterbuilt cold smoke attachment.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
hi and welcome to the forum from Minnesota. do you have pictures of the attachment you are using, might help with some ideas how to fix it.

It's a leaky gravity feed with a lower air, combustion intake to an upper vent to smoker. So smoke rises through chips out the top unsealed lid and condenses creosote everywhere so the whole unit will get sticky, creating wood chip dams that you'll poke down with a stick periodically. You can try a cinder block on top and every method for sealing but a true gravity feed is linear from air intake, through burning fuel, to smoker and sealed on top of fuel chamber so smoke/air can't rise up through unburned fuel and doesn't get sticky with creosote. Like an upside down capital T or a cross so it catches ashes falling down. If you see smoke coming out the lid of your unburned fuel, your fuel is burning higher up in the storage tube than it should be because air is up flowing.

Reactions: Tjsepulvado
I put a giant rock on the lid of mine. That worked well for about a year, then my last smoke, the paint melted completely together, fusing the lid closed. I then broke the plastic handle trying to get it open.

I took all of this as the universe telling me I needed to order that Bella smoke generator I've been eying, which should be here next week.

Question 1: What temp is your smoker at when youre experiencing this problem?

Question 2: Do you have the attachment connected directly to the smoker, as it is recommended?

If yes, don't do that. Get a 3ft section of 3in duct to separate the units. Pic below. It helps with the air flow and with quality if the smoke.

Also, turn the smoke generator off as soon as you see smoke rising from the smoker.

Screenshot_20220909-115336_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Last edited:
Question 1: What temp is your smoker at when youre experiencing this problem?

Question 2: Do you have the attachment connected directly to the smoker, as it is recommended?

If yes, don't do that. Get a 3ft section of 3in duct to separate the units. Pic below. It helps with the air flow and with quality if the smoke.

Also, turn the smoke generator off as soon as you see smoke rising from the smoker.

View attachment 643256
i also have this melting paint issue after 2 hours of running cold smoke attachment, but I keep it on all the time... Should I turn it on and off when smoke start getting out of the smoker?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky