• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Masterbuilt 7 in 1 Smoker Questions

jmusser

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jan 11, 2020
Just picked up a used one of Craigslist for $40 . Only have had electric before so looking forward to learning something new. Worst case its a new propane cooker. Wondering if anyone that has experience with one had any tips, tricks, etc. Didn't have much luck in the search.
1614887139587.png

Looks like you can use the propane to light the coal? or do I need to start them in a chimney thing before?
Can you use straight wood chunks and propane to start em and supplement heat?
Can you smoke on the bottom rack right above water pan? or should I mod to bring higher up?
Any recommendations on charcoal to use? Just reg Kingsford type stuff or are there better options
Wood- chunks or chips?
Does the water pan really need to have a liquid in it?

Thanks in advance! Jarod

Winterrider

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Sep 29, 2018
Interesting, have never seen that outfit before.

bill1

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Apr 25, 2015
Not sure what sort of grates it has inside or how handy you are. And I suspect the manufacturer's intent was the propane is the heat source throughout the cook and that you would have a chip box etc slightly above for smoke flavor. The access port may just be to keep a water pan full, or maybe you could slide in an Amazen smoker tray or tube, chip box in there.

But I agree, the propane burner could be a convenient way to start a charcoal and wood fire (no chimney needed) and then it's turned off afterwards. It also allows you to go cheap on the wood fuel and when it's gone (as determined by dropping temps) you switch back on the gas, assuming your ash has not become an issue for the burner. The smoke is of less importance for flavor at the tail end of the cook anyway.

Kingsford briquettes leave too much ash for me. My opinion is that most any lump charcoal is good enough. Royal Oak has a faithful following here.

Water pans are controversial here. I'd estimate about 3/4 of the bullet smoker folks use them (with liquid). Other cooker types see less love for water pans or moisture maintenance in general. Some like beer, wine, juices, soda pops in their pans. I suggest spritzing the meat with those (if you want) and just use water in a water pan.

jmusser

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jan 11, 2020
Not sure what sort of grates it has inside or how handy you are. And I suspect the manufacturer's intent was the propane is the heat source throughout the cook and that you would have a chip box etc slightly above for smoke flavor. The access port may just be to keep a water pan full, or maybe you could slide in an Amazen smoker tray or tube, chip box in there.

But I agree, the propane burner could be a convenient way to start a charcoal and wood fire (no chimney needed) and then it's turned off afterwards. It also allows you to go cheap on the wood fuel and when it's gone (as determined by dropping temps) you switch back on the gas, assuming your ash has not become an issue for the burner. The smoke is of less importance for flavor at the tail end of the cook anyway.

Kingsford briquettes leave too much ash for me. My opinion is that most any lump charcoal is good enough. Royal Oak has a faithful following here.

Water pans are controversial here. I'd estimate about 3/4 of the bullet smoker folks use them (with liquid). Other cooker types see less love for water pans or moisture maintenance in general. Some like beer, wine, juices, soda pops in their pans. I suggest spritzing the meat with those (if you want) and just use water in a water pan.
Thanks Bill!
Interesting contraption here. Very flexible setup. Hope it works okay.

Messed around with it a bit today. Needed new propane hose and did some cleaning. I can put in smaller chunks of charcoal and wood as it cooks. and chips during cook but agree with as time goes on not as much needed.

There is one grate right above water pan and one at top maybe 16" up. Found a manual and can cook on both racks. Trying to add a middle shelf too. Will prob get A MAZ N tray for cold smoking.

Never found the water needed in my electric but my newer Bradley needs it to put out pucks. It has a pan/tray with air flow allowed that holder of the fuel to be separated from the burner.

Appreciate the advice and honesty!

cmayna

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 23, 2012
Looks like a fun toy to play with.

MJB05615

Master of the Pit
Joined May 12, 2018
Looks interesting, haven't seen that one bewfore. I was recommended from this forum to use Walmart's brand of Lump and Briquettes. Expert Grill brand. They're made by Royal Oak for a lot less. I get a 8lb bag of lump for $5 and a 16lb bag of briquettes for $6 usually. Used both and they burn hot and long.

Last edited:

jmusser

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jan 11, 2020
Looks interesting, haven't seen that one bewfore. I was recommended from this forum to use Walmart's brand of Lump and Briquettes. Expert Grill brand. They're made by Royal Oak for a lot less. I get a 8lb bag of lump for $5 and a 16lb bag of briquettes for $6 usually. Used both and they burn hot and long.
Appreciate the advice and specifics.
Being not many know of it, that scares me a little. I look forward to playing with this thing. Just take apart different chambers and shift around. Propane smoker, propane grill, deep fryer, boiler, charcoal smoker/charcoal grill, wood cooker. Might be fun to take camping. First use will actually be for a seafood boil today. LOL
Sure the mods will begin and this thing will be a Frankenstein by the time I am done! :emoji_alien:

MJB05615

Master of the Pit
Joined May 12, 2018
Sounds like you're gonna have some fun. You sai you found an owner's manual for it? That may help. Post some pics as you go.

garyinmd

Meat Mopper
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 27, 2011
I used one of those for many years, put wood chips in foil and poked holes in it for smoke. Worked great at the time

bill1

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Apr 25, 2015
In my gas grills I mount a cast iron pan or griddle over the burner and put chips or chunks inside. Lots of variations on that them in the propane smoker section of this forum. Not sure if this bullet smoker will make that easy or hard to tend.

jmusser

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jan 11, 2020
Alright.. here is the breakdown
1) Propane burner- used for seafood boil last night
IMG_2061.jpg

2) Fire pan for charcoal and wood, stacks on top of propane stand or self standing
IMG_2062.jpg

3) Water pan and bottom rack
IMG_2063.jpg

4) Riser and top shelf
IMG_2064.jpg

IMG_2065.jpg

4) Lid
IMG_2066.jpg

Got her smoking today with some wood chips and charcoal. Fired up quick with propane and have mostly had to supplement with some propane to keep in temp range. Really windy out here but holding its own so far!

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.