Masterbuilt 560

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

WitnessTheFew

Original poster
Jun 6, 2020
I am a newbie, both to the charcoal game and the smoking game so please excuse my stupid questions, if they are in here.

Propane was boring. I picked up a masterbuilt 560 because the reviews were good and I like gadgets. That being said, I am having a dickens of a time getting this thing lit.

My first assumption is that the lumps in the lump charcoal I got are too big, they’re basically branches. I put Fogo premium hardwood lump in it, and it seems to get going, albeit slowly, and then it stops and the temp drops. It is definitely not the fan or any components.

I have seen a few posts about different brands to pick from but wanted to, hopefully get some tips and tricks whilst I am trying to figure out what kind of charcoal works best.

Last edited:
Resized_20200607_074927.jpeg

Reactions: WitnessTheFew
What are you using to light it? I use 3 squares of Rutland fire starter. Let it burn for 3-5 minutes then the fan takes over.

I was using a fatwood and a little lighter, might need to pick up one of those propane torches and then let it burn a little longer before I start the fan. It also seems to go out. Last night was the first night I had tried to fire it up, and it got to 300 and then stopped climbing, I was trying to season it.

Maybe I need different charcoal?

I was using a fatwood and a little lighter, might need to pick up one of those propane torches and then let it burn a little longer before I start the fan. It also seems to go out. Last night was the first night I had tried to fire it up, and it got to 300 and then stopped climbing, I was trying to season it.

Maybe I need different charcoal?
When I start fire I wait 1-2 minutes and shot all leads , working for me

I picked up some b&b lump this morning. Smaller lumps. They burn more efficiently. The stuff I had was far too big. I started it up with the new stuff and it heats like I was expecting.

I appreciate the feedback. I got a propane torch too. Easier to start the starters.

Fogo is one of the best lump charcoals money can buy.
Unless you left an open bag outside where it soaked up moisture from the atmosphere you can't blame the charcoal.
I find lighting the starter with both slider plates removed and both top and bottom doors open works best.
Let it smoke for 5 minutes and then plug in the controller and set your temp, close both doors and bingo.

Fogo is one of the best lump charcoals money can buy.
Unless you left an open bag outside where it soaked up moisture from the atmosphere you can't blame the charcoal.
I find lighting the starter with both slider plates removed and both top and bottom doors open works best.
Let it smoke for 5 minutes and then plug in the controller and set your temp, close both doors and bingo.

It wasn’t the charcoal itself so much as the size of the lumps. They were too big, got stuck in the chute and didn’t let it feed. I changed up the charcoal and the lumps were much smaller and the grill performed flawlessly.

Pulled a Pork Ribs out of the freezer...
Planned to do a 3-2-1 on it but it was done by the end of the 2 hrs.
Cooked @ 200' then 220', apple chunk, Kinders Buttery Steakhouse rub, mild Chipotle BBQ sauce.
OMG it was soooo good !
Wife made asparagus, toasted pecan, celery side dish.

I LOVE my 560 !

Last edited:
Royal Oak? I wasn't aware that stuff was quality. All I ever got of a bag of that stuff was small chunks that burned too quickly and sometimes a piece of metal or a rock

Reactions: Will Squared
Royal Oak? I wasn't aware that stuff was quality. All I ever got of a bag of that stuff was small chunks that burned too quickly and sometimes a piece of metal or a rock

Are we talking RO lump or briquets? I've burned through several bags of RO Classic briquets without issue. Their lump is another story.

My two cents - I've been using Royal Oak Tumbleweed Fire Starter I bought from wally world to start. Light with a match, let burn for a few minutes and I'm ready to go.... I was using Royal Oak at first but the briquettes were too small and I noticed a lot fell through the grate during the cook. I switched to Kingsford, it seems like they start quicker and not as many fall through the grate. I'm planning on modifying the grate so not as many briquettes fall through. As others have posted, weaving a wire should help.

Just don't add too much wire as you want to avoid ash buildup. You also need some coals to fall through to ignite the wood chunks.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky