Masterbuilt 560: Baking Steel + 700F?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dsc106

Original poster
Jul 21, 2021
I have a 3/8 thick baking steel I've used for homemade pizza in the oven, and instructions suggest heating it for an hour first in the oven to really get it up to temp. As well, my cookbooks for oven specify after doing this to use the broiler for the last 1-2 minutes of the pizza to finish.

But, oven only gets to around 500F. Gravity Series gets to 700F, but no broiler.

1. At 700F, would I need to preheat the baking steel for an hour first to get it to retain max heat and not lose heat too quickly? Or would 30-40 minutes be enough?
2. Is the extra heat worth it vs the oven, even with losing the broiler? Anyway to replicate the same sort of broiler finish?

Mostly following the technique in Ken Forkish's "Elements of Pizza" book.

Reactions: JLeonard
I would think 30 minutes would be more than enough as the 560 is a convection oven, at least while the temp is rising,
Have to add that mine has way too much carbon/grease build up inside for me to risk running that high a temp as it would flame on for sure.
If you've been cooking briskets, ribs, birds and pork butts I would give it a serious cleaning around the "heat tube" and underbelly before hitting the afterburners so to speak.

Reactions: JLeonard and PPG1
Good advice above .

Is the extra heat worth it vs the oven .

That all depends on the pizza . My opinion is people make a mistake going high heat with a pizza that is topping heavy . The crust is done way before the rest gets cooked or even melted sometimes .
So if you're going high heat give that some thought .

Anyway to replicate the same sort of broiler finish?

Yes . Set your oven up ahead of time with the broiler on . When you bring it in from the grill , slide it under the broiler . Leave the door open so the element stays on . Call the outside cook done when the dough looks good on the bottom .
Finish under the broiler if needed . I have multiple stones , so all I have to do is move the pizza .
20210703_181920.jpg
20210703_182759.jpg

Thanks all! I will be sure to clean the grill good before cranking the heat, I wasn't aware of this as I am new to this. And good points about the topping heavy pizzas - we generally do more minimalist pizzas, but I hadn't thought of that!

I suppose I could just move the pizza indoors to the oven, but I was hoping to get around heating the oven up as well and keep it simpler. Is that the only way? And if so, could I use only the broiler instead of heating the whole oven as well?

is it worth it to use the 560 for this at all, or perhaps just the oven at high heat with broiler then? I suppose I'd get a little of the wood fired smoke, but the cook is so short - is it noticeable much? And does the extra 200F make a big difference?

Check this out , and I'm going to post a couple pics for you .

Did this for lunch . About 30 minutes ago . Actually my first cook on my new EX4 Weber pellet grill .
30 minutes at 500 . Stone was pre heated 20 minutes .
Pretty blonde on top .
20210725_133028.jpg
Here's the bottom .
20210725_133559.jpg
So you can see the difference . Now make no mistake . This is fantastic just like it is . I was going to tuck it under the broiler , but since I was already doing it I figured I could show you the effects , and these toppings are light .
20210725_133613.jpg
When I do them in the house , here's how I set up the oven . Pizza was on the bottom pan first , with just sauce . No cheese .
20210717_180117.jpg
I pull and add the toppings , then under broiler 'til finished .

20210717_180219.jpg

If 500 is all you can get, you can still make great pizza. Just adjust the time accordingly. If too blond on top (love that expression) I can believe the kitchen broiler can make you as brunette as you want. But you really want that wood-fired taste you can only get outdoors.
This is pretty handy at determining just how hot your griddle/grill/stone/steel really is. I think stones and steels heat up faster than we expect.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky