Masterbuilt 4 vs 5 Pin Contoller

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ConquisaThor

Original poster
Oct 6, 2020
I have a masterbuilt smoker that has a bad 4 pin controller. I have resoldered a part and it just keeps giving me trouble. I ordered another controller off eBay for a few dollars but its slightly different with 5 pins, plus 2 for a meat probe I don't have. Does anyone know if I can adapt this controller to work by just deleting one pin or does the 5 pin unit use a different temp measurement, or control device?

Thanks!

So to help anyone else out I found this diagram, for a fancy wifi module on the FCC site. https://fccid.io/YHXESQ-3040C2/Schematics/Circuit-Diagram-main-control-board-1560237

Best I can tell is the additional wire is for some sort of light, which my unit does not have. I have a grand total of 7 buck in a replacement controller for ebay and am not going to return it since I did not triple confirm the wiring config before buying it. Will delete pin 5 and post back here if I am still alive and well...

Thanks

...I have a grand total of 7 buck in a replacement controller for ebay and am not going to return it since I did not triple confirm the wiring config before buying it. Will delete pin 5 and post back here if I am still alive and well...

Thanks
If you know the pin-outs of the broken Masterbuilt controller, it sounds like all you need is the same for the ebay part you're buying. That should be available. Don't just assume 1 goes to 1, etc.

So to help anyone else out I found this diagram, for a fancy wifi module on the FCC site. https://fccid.io/YHXESQ-3040C2/Schematics/Circuit-Diagram-main-control-board-1560237

Best I can tell is the additional wire is for some sort of light, which my unit does not have. I have a grand total of 7 buck in a replacement controller for ebay and am not going to return it since I did not triple confirm the wiring config before buying it. Will delete pin 5 and post back here if I am still alive and well...

Thanks
Conquisa - did you end up rewiring the 4 pin to the 5 pin and not using the additional wire? Curious if this worked as I have the same situation right now. Also, that link above did not work for me...not sure if it's correct or not. Thanks!!

If you know the pin-outs of the broken Masterbuilt controller, it sounds like all you need is the same for the ebay part you're buying. That should be available. Don't just assume 1 goes to 1, etc.
I know this is an old post but ... I have two four-pin controllers I can't use, and I'm looking for the 5-pin + 2-pin kind. Where did you find yours?

Masterbuilt still sells some on line:
https://www.masterbuilt.com/collections/parts
(I entered controller to simplify the search.)
With Masterbuilt, it's best to get your model number from the back silver nameplate and search by that model.

The appliance parts retailers has some of the sold-out controllers as well. Here's just one example https://www.appliancefactoryparts.com/search/part/1368614/210794/

I think ConquisThor is probably correct in thinking the 5th wire goes to a cabinet light (switchable from the top control panel) that not all models have.

Thanks - I tried the MB site but couldn't find my model number (20071610), and they want that to even let me contact them. The part in the second link might work, but looks different than mine, and with shipping to Canada it turns into a $75 part.

I'm working on building my own controller now (see separate thread) - so I have two of the four pin controllers available if anyone's interested.

Reactions: toekneec
I'm working on building my own controller now (see separate thread) - so I have two of the four pin controllers available if anyone's interested.
hi, i'm looking for a 4-pin controller, masterbuilt part # 990050048, and I believe 9907170133 should work as well (smoker is from 2007? super old.) I just want a controller with a legible LCD so I can test the smoker. I'll PM you.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky