Master Forge First Smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gadgetboy

Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
New York City
Hello all! Today is lazy day. Bottle of Blue Moon is next to me in my backyard as I type on my laptop. ;-)

Picked up a Master Forge dual door smoker yesterday at Lowe's.

I seasoned it for about 2 hours yesterday with hickory. Smoker went as high as 350 degrees. I also tested the thermometer and it's off by about 20 degrees. I did not open up the thermometer to adjust it.

Today I am trying my first smoke. I seasoned a 4lb. pork butt at put it in. I have hickory in the box and filled the water pan to about an inch from the top. It's been over an hour at high and it is still at 110 degrees. 

I bought some ribs to try (both ends) and some chicken drumsticks.

I used a homemade rub with brown sugar, salt, pepper and garlic. I applied the rub with the mustard technique.

Any thoughts or comments

Thanks in advance,

GB

Well...............

Apparently the smoker works a lot better when the valve is completely open on the propane tank.

What an idiot.

Next time I should open the Blue Moons after I have the smoker under control. Do I get credit for coming back and admitting my insanely stupid mistake?

Yes you do!

points.gif

Hello. Bought a similar smoker at Lowes but mine wont come up over 225 degrees. Havent checked the guage on the door to see if its reading correctly but I have used it twice ( second time as we speak) and the temp didnt go over 225 either time. Check to make sure all valves are open so thats not the problem. Any suggestions??

Hello. Bought a similar smoker at Lowes but mine wont come up over 225 degrees. Havent checked the guage on the door to see if its reading correctly but I have used it twice ( second time as we speak) and the temp didnt go over 225 either time. Check to make sure all valves are open so thats not the problem. Any suggestions??

You need to get an accurate thermometer. You should be able to get that smoker above 300 with no problem.

I have a gas smoker that will go above 400 with ease.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky