Maple Sugar

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mr_whipple

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jul 3, 2021
Virginia
I hacked the bone out of a pork butt and am gonna do half of it as BBB the other a pulled ham style. My question is about the maple sugar I bought and want to try. Is it a one to one swap for sugar? I was thinking half and half brown/maple sugar for my 1% sugar in the cure mix. I can't see where it wouldn't be the same, but I'd rather know now than learning the hard way.

Reactions: JLeonard
Good question. I have used maple sugar on belly bacon but have not tasted maple in the end so curious what others experience is.

Reactions: Sven Svensson
Might check out this thread:

Might check out this thread:
So that has mapeline honey and maple syrup.... I have a lot of pure maple syrup and honey but no mapeline so that's a no go.
You may want to PM tx smoker tx smoker , Robert. I have had his maple sugar bacon, and you can taste the maple sugar in it.
Al
You tagged him so he'll see that and hopefully respond. I'm going to bag them up this afternoon when I get home from work so we'll see. I'll probably go with my initial idea of half and half on the bacon and just do straight brown sugar on the pulled ham side. I'll make that call when I get home. I'm ok with a subtle maple taste and don't want to crank up the sugar %. Hate bacon that burns from high sugar content, and maple sugar costs alot more than plain ol brown and white sugars so if it's not noticeable taste wise then it's also not cost effective.

Last edited:
Is it a one to one swap for sugar?
That is a question I really don't have an exact answer for. When I'm using the maple sugar, I will typically cut the amount of sugar in the cure ratio by 50% then rub the belly down with the maple sugar pretty generously. I don't actually measure out the maple sugar though.
I was thinking half and half brown/maple sugar for my 1% sugar in the cure mix.
From a conversion standpoint that would probably work but if you're looking for more of a maple flavor, do away with the brown sugar and just use the maple. See below for more info.
Good question. I have used maple sugar on belly bacon but have not tasted maple in the end so curious what others experience is.
I played around with different ways to get real, deep, rich maple flavor into bacon and finally found it. Before adding any cure of other flavorings, rub the bellies down with McCormick (that's just what I use but other brands should work) maple extract. Only a small (1 ounce??) bottle is needed for a full belly. Best to use real maple extract though versus imitation. I know that sawhorseray sawhorseray has used mapleine (I think that's what it's called) and has achieved the same results. It required a lot more of that than the maple extract based on what he posted to get the same depth of flavor though. Let the slabs cure 10-14 days to really soak up the flavor.
You may want to PM tx smoker tx smoker , Robert.
Thanks for the shout out Al. Appreciate it my friend and will always try to help if/when/where I can.

Robert

I’ve never had any success in imparting maple flavor in any of my attempts. So I’m on board with trying your method, Robert. I even tried the maplene trick. I’ll have to give maple bacon another chance.

Robert. I even tried the maplene trick. I’ll have to give maple bacon another chance.
Honestly Sven, it was the pure maple extract that finally got me where I wanted to be...and a nice, long cure time for the flavors to really develop. Literally, you can smell the aroma of the extract as soon as you start rubbing it into the bellies....and you just know it's gonna be good :emoji_wink:

Robert

Before adding any cure of other flavorings, rub the bellies down with McCormick (that's just what I use but other brands should work) maple extract

Let the slabs cure 10-14 days to really soak up the flavor.

I was wondering how long you let it rest with just the maple extract before putting the rest of the curing ingredients on... Right away... overnight ... the 10-14 days as stated ??

I was wondering how long you let it rest with just the maple extract before putting the rest of the curing ingredients on... Right away
Apply everything right away, just put the extract on first, before any other seasonings or cure. When all seasonings and cure have been applied, then rest 10 to 14 days. No need for a two-step process.

Robert

I only use maple sugar on bacon, but the taste is subtle, if at all. I've also used maple extract in the dry rub, making into kind of a slurry. Even using 1 T. to about 4-4.5 lbs of bacon, it is still not real strong. I usually cure about 2 weeks.
The answer might be to use more maple sugar, as I think it isn't as sweet as brown, but that might make the bacon burn easier.

Reactions: mr_whipple
Got side tracked yesterday after tossing the butt pieces in the cure. On my way home from work I stopped for a few items at the grocery to see if maple extract could be had, but no. Virtually any other flavor was on the shelf but only a small bottle of imitation maple flavoring. I don't like fake maple syrup at all so that would never be an option. Anyway, I decided to just go with straight maple sugar on the bacon piece and brown sugar on the pulled ham piece. 1% sugar in both so we'll do a bit of a side by side taste test in a few weeks after this is done. I didn't add black pepper or anything else... just salt, cure #1 and the sugars. Vac sealed and in the garage fridge.

Off we go. yesterday was 14 days in the cure and today is a perfect day for smoking.

This piece is going to be the pulled ham with pineapple slices and juice.

20230128_095751.jpg

This will be the BBB. Gave both sides a generous grind of the peppercorn melange.

20230128_100104.jpg

Into the pellet pooper running 100% cherry on low smoke for a few hours before I bump it up a little.

20230128_100514.jpg

Be back later.....

• Love
Reactions: mneeley490
Looks great. I’ve used maple sugar many times in that 1% range and cannot taste the maple, comes out the same as regular white sugar.

I only use maple sugar on bacon, but the taste is subtle, if at all. I've also used maple extract in the dry rub, making into kind of a slurry. Even using 1 T. to about 4-4.5 lbs of bacon, it is still not real strong. I usually cure about 2 weeks.
The answer might be to use more maple sugar, as I think it isn't as sweet as brown, but that might make the bacon burn easier.
Since my wife bought me a 6 lb tub for Christmas, I've also started using it on oatmeal. Beats any other sweetener I've tried.

Looks great. I’ve used maple sugar many times in that 1% range and cannot taste the maple, comes out the same as regular white sugar.

Honestly wasn't looking for a huge maple flavor, but you are right, no maple flavor at all. Some things I just have to find out for myself. Those cherry pellets always add great color. Either way it still tastes killer... I always slice off a small piece as soon as any bacon comes off the smoker regardless of how anyone in the house feels about it. The other piece is still riding for a while more before it gets the foil pan treatment.

All said and done (don't you hate those cliche sayings?) I'm thinking the maple sugar is doable as a one for one swap with white or brown, but the cost comparison shows me zero benefit.

20230128_134430.jpg

A

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Agree on the sugar, but brown has molasses in it so the flavor comes differently. Molasses is a flavor player, where maple is not so much. I’m thinking that is why so many old recipes call for molasses or dark brown sugar.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky