Man, I love brewing beer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hughjass

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
Mansfield, Ohio
From crushing the grain, to doughing in, to the smell of the mash, and the amazing smell from the hop adds during the boil, to pitching the yeast, to the first draw from the tap.

A fantastic, and beneficial hobby.

Brewed a Harp-ish clone yesterday, a sweet stout today, and am planning to brew an American pale ale tomorrow.

Anyone else enjoy/savor those moments?

Good times!

Thanks for reading

Well I LOVE drinking beer... where do you guys live... I'm thinking we would get along just fine!
PDT_Armataz_01_01.gif

Never got into the brew thing, but I do enjoy good beer.  Awesome selection of micro's and brewery brew here in Western CO.

I'm kinda glad they don't. because then one of two things would happen:

a) demand would drive up prices for good beer and for ingredients for those of us who brew our own

OR

b) the good market beers would get worse as they ramp up production and are forced to cut back on quality of ingredients.
If only  the guys who drink those commercial light beer swills knew what real beer should taste like!

John
Chew on this for a moment:

Budweiser used to be a better beer 30 years ago than it is now.

Budweiser, a LAGER, now has a freshness date!! They recommend you drink it by a certain date for best flavor.

To those of us who brew, that makes no sense whatsoever. I know my brews only get better as they age.

The German word 'lager' translates as "TO STORE". It is beer that takes a long time to brew, and a long time to mature. How the heck can a supposed lager have a date, three months after it was brewed, that it's no longer optimum?? A lager ought be able to sit in storage for 6 months or more, and get better with every day it sits there.

Anyways, the folk drinking that stuff don't know what they're missing... and I'm not sure I want them to find out  lol

I love to brew too. I wish I had more time to brew more. Most very light beers have a short shelf life because of the low alcohol and hop content. Both are natural preservatives. The more hops and alcohol a beer has the longer it will last. And yes, get better with age. I have some 1995 Samiclaus that is still awesome. I also have a Belgian Barley wine (13% ABV) that tasted like crap for 5 years. Then in year 6 it was one of the best beers I ever had. I have 1 bottle left that is 10 years old now I will crack this New Years Eve. I have no doubt it will be great. Try that with one of the BMC beers.

Used to brew all the time....then marriage, new house, kids all got in the way....things settling down now and still have all the all grain equipment....hoping this fall sometime or early winter after i'm finally done finishing the basement.....after this weekend all that will be left is the facing on the bar....this weekend I will have to sit down there playing some pool or foosball while drinking an octoberfest and eating the ribs i just got done smoking...sure i can dream something up...WALLE, if you ever make it to Aurora be sure to stop at the Drydock brewery...fabulous beer....

I used to brew several years ago.  Just moved into a place with a garage this summer, so I am thinking of getting back into it.  Mainly extracts and some partial mash brews. 

Made my own mead and wine too.   Finished the last of my raspberry wine a couple months ago.  Pretty good stuff.

I Am a brewing whore also....Hence my forum name "Brewslut" in all the brewing forums.check out my homebrewing podcast Finalgravitypodcast

We just featured a local(NJ) competition BBQ team,and got tos sample some of his kick ass comp food and rubs!!!! Our homebrewing club is based out of hackettstown,nj (NJHOPZ)if you are in NJ look us up!

I Am a brewing whore also....Hence my forum name "Brewslut" in all the brewing forums.check out my homebrewing podcast Finalgravitypodcast

We just featured a local(NJ) competition BBQ team,and got tos sample some of his kick ass comp food and rubs!!!! Our homebrewing club is based out of hackettstown,nj (NJHOPZ)if you are in NJ look us up!
I think we're on at least one brew forum together.  I go by the same moniker on that forum.  NJHOPZ.....excellent brew club.  Wish our local was as involved as yours.

:cheers:

If only  the guys who drink those commercial light beer swills knew what real beer should taste like!

John
I'm one of those guys that only drinks the commercial light beers. Usually Bud Light.. but if I'm at a Mexican restaurant, I'll have a Corona or if I'm at a pizza place I'll have Boulevard Wheat. I like the idea of a Harp's or something like it... but ever time I try it, I realize it's more beer than I am man I guess? I can admit that. I like what I like. So, my question is, given my preferences for beer. Is there anything to be gained by brewing my own? Again... I love the thought of it. I just don't know enough about it know if one can brew his own wimpy beer and end up with a better quality wimpy beer? You know what I mean?

Chew on this for a moment:

Budweiser, a LAGER, now has a freshness date!! They recommend you drink it by a certain date for best flavor.

To those of us who brew, that makes no sense whatsoever. I know my brews only get better as they age.

The German word 'lager' translates as "TO STORE". It is beer that takes a long time to brew, and a long time to mature. How the heck can a supposed lager have a date, three months after it was brewed, that it's no longer optimum?? A lager ought be able to sit in storage for 6 months or more, and get better with every day it sits there.

Anyways, the folk drinking that stuff don't know what they're missing... and I'm not sure I want them to find out  lol

I know a guy who delivers beer to the stores. He told me that the freshness date is a made up thing to get people to throw out perfectly good beer and buy more? He could be full of it? I really have no idea.

My buddy just started brewing his own beer this past month. He went all out and put down some money and got everything he needed so he could keep 4 beers on tap all the time and  also have 4-5 more fermenting or what ever you call it while it sits in the buckets. Of his first 4 beers I really like 3 so he offered to make a batch for me if I helped him and paid for the ingredients. Can't beat that I guess. Home brew beers and I don't have to buy any of the equipment.

Just started brewing. Small two batches with a Mr. Beer kit. Hope to grow soon. We have 4 micro-breweries here in Chattanooga. One Mocison Bend Brewery has a set up where you can make your beer there.

Bottle it or put it in cans if you want.

Now how did I know that the smokers would have a healthy sprinkling of brewers mixed in?

I just got back into brewing after a 10yr hiatus and I have a cream ale I just put to primary last night (getting ready for the fourth of July). The batch before this one was a chocolate stout, very strong flavor but alas, almost gone.

when I did it 10yrs ago it was more about crafting your own, it wasn't cheaper than equivilent commercial beer like Sam Adams but today, at 9 bucks a six pack? It's cheaper to brew.

Eating your own smoked meats and washing them down with beer you made? Life does not get much better.

Reactions: shhaker
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky