Making Tasso!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jbellard

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 6, 2016
North Louisiana
F134D1FE-27E3-4662-8F9B-2932A51E45A2.jpeg
Local store had a sale on pork butts last week for $.87/lb so I bought 5. 2 of them, I will be using to make pulled pork for a Super Bowl Party we are throwing for youth in our town but the other 3 I am making buckboard bacon with.
After cutting and deboning the butts I had some pieces that weren’t really big enough to slice so I said why not make bacon.
I didn’t get any pics of raw meat but close your eyes and just imagine a deboned pork shoulder. Now there are 8 chunks after cutting.
Now with your eyes still closed, imagine putting the following ingredients in a bowl, Worcestershire, hot sauce, garlic and onion powders, cayenne black pepper and salt. Last but not least some brown sugar. Mix all that together and put in a ziploc overnight.
Once your smoker is up to temp, out the chunks of meat on meat hooks and hang.
Open your eyes now and here is where We stand.
About 2 hrs of smoke and heat on the pieces. Some of the smaller ones Should be getting done soonish but there are several that will take awhile.
Using the smoker tube (thanks Ted!) in my Bradley. Much better, thinner, smoke than when I tried to cold smoke.
Anyway, I will slice a bit up for everyone to see once it’s done.
Here’s a pic of the meat in the smoker.

Reactions: crazymoon
That's a great price for butts. Every now and again I'll see them @$0.89/lb. Most of the time it's $0.99/lb.

Nice looking Tasso...I make about 2~3 batches a year...

Just checked and my small pieces are at about 135IT and the large pieces at 118IT.
Got a little ways to go to get to 145.

Just checked and my small pieces are at about 135IT and the large pieces at 118IT.
Got a little ways to go to get to 145.
Next time, if you can separate the pieces each on 1 hook to give them an air gap between them, they'll cook more evenly.
I use 1/16" Stainless steel tie wire and make "S: hooks with it. Works great.

Gotcha. I don’t have any of that but should probably get more hooks.
I got 6 hooks for $10. Any ideas for something cheaper but that sturdy???

Everything is off. I’ll take some pics in a bit and post them! I will say this, I cut off a kniblet piece and boy was it spicy!
But very good and would be great in something.

2CE13BDD-E66F-4241-A050-E11E52A544DC.jpeg
Here is the finished product! I got some really good chunks of Tasso.
The smaller pieces I’ll just throw in to a gumbo and the bigger ones I can slice off of it to add what I need.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky